Check for transmitter lock/unlock feature???? - Page 4 - GL1800Riders
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Done and fixed trunk wires!!

Got all the wires resoldered and tested the key FOB.
It works again. Forgot to count but there must have been a dozen wires in there and every one was snapped in two.

Glad to have that done ... didn't lose ride time since it was a rainy day

Everything wrapped in shrink wrap and then I used some magic tape (I think that's the name of it) on the outside to wrap it all up. The stuff works great and is almost like having shrink wrap. You stretch it as you wrap and it sticks! No unwrapping it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1168 copy.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	197273   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1167 copy.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	197281  

'05 Goldwing; '03 VTX 1300; '11 Harley Ultra Classic - Sold

John 3:16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

I do have rear speakers that the previous owner installed but why are there so many wires in the trunk area?
\
When I started fixing the wires, I accidentally touched two together and the horn blew. Why are there horn wires in the trunk???

Just seems odd. None of the wires are for the rear lights because everything was working even when they were broken and before I fixed them. Just seems odd that there are a dozen wires in the trunk area.

post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 08:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Horn wires are for remote locate function. Hit locate, the horn blows. The remote receiver is in trunk top. And, your added on speaker wires should be a separate bundle on left.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

. . Cabernet Red,
. . 06 comfort, nav, abs, Smartire, bikemp3, Baker.
. . Modified tagalong

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 10:10 PM
GL1800 Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by prockey View Post
I do have rear speakers that the previous owner installed but why are there so many wires in the trunk area?
\
When I started fixing the wires, I accidentally touched two together and the horn blew. Why are there horn wires in the trunk???

Just seems odd. None of the wires are for the rear lights because everything was working even when they were broken and before I fixed them. Just seems odd that there are a dozen wires in the trunk area.
The trunk lock receiver wiring as well as the spoiler brake light wiring and a plug for an optional light are all in that bundle. When you hit the lock button, it should flash the signals once and twice when you hit unlock. It will blow the horn if you hold the red button down for 2 seconds, this is to help you find it in a large parking lot surrounded by hundreds of other wings. One thing to keep in mind, if you lock the bags and trunk, then use the trunk open button to pop it up, don't drop your keys and fob in there and close it. When you "pop" it open, it will re-lock when you shut it again. If you have a copy of the owner's manual, it explains the features of it pretty well.

Rob's Candy Red '04

Last edited by techdude2000; 05-13-2017 at 10:13 PM.
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I ordered one of those this morning as well. We had emailed back and forth concerning the compatibility. I sent them the FCC ID# and they said it was a match. I will know in a few days if it works. Hopefully so. Everyone else wants $80 or more for the same remote.
I received the remote today. I attempted to program it about three times and it failed to program the receiver.

1. Insert key into the ignition and turn it to the ON position.
2. Aim the remote at the trunk within 4 seconds press the RELEASE button.
3. Turn the ignition to the OFF position.
4. REPEAT steps 1-3 TWO more times (do not remove the key just turn it in the igntion)
5. Turn the key to the ON position, aim the remote at the trunk and press the RELEASE button. DO NOT TURN IGNITION OFF
6. Aim the same remote at the trunk within 4 seconds press the RELEASE button.
7. Repeat step 6 for any other remotes you wish to program. If no further remotes are being programmed proceed to step 8. (you can program 3 remotes)
8. Turn the ignition to the OFF position. Programming is now complete.

So, I ran the programming procedure again using the remote that came with the bike. Then at step 7, I aimed the replacement remote at the trunk and pressed the RELEASE button. The programming took. Now both remotes work as advertised.

I do not know if this is how it is supposed to work but that is how it worked fore me.
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Mine took a couple tries also to get it programmed. Maybe I didn't aim it quite ight.
Works good now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page