Final drive oil leak has returned. - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
If you take it too a different dealer you might want to clear it with Honda customer service. Honda won't pay for the same repair twice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaster View Post
How is this possible? What if a person moved to a different location?
I suspect Mother Honda would prefer it to return to the Dealer that failed to get it fixed the first time. Maybe Honda supplies another seal but makes the Dealer "eat" the labor for the redo.

On the other hand, I have read here where Mother Honda told an owner to take a failed brake recall repair to a different Dealer when the work was not performed correctly the first time. Why? I can only guess Honda, like the bike owner, had lost faith in the first dealer's ability to do the task correctly.

In this case, I suspect the original seal failure was not a bad seal but a result of another issue inside the final drive. If returned to the same shop and Honda rep contacted, I will be surprised if they do not direct the shop to go ahead and replace the entire (almost new) drive unit. They will want the failed final drive back so they can determine the root cause to possibly improve their plant quality control

Just my thoughts.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 10:20 AM
Seasoned Member

If the oil ran too low, the bearings or ring gear may be chewed up. I had a seal fail while on a cross country trip. I kept it full of oil during the trip and upon return home took it to my dealer, who worked with mother to get the differential replaced under warranty. No trouble since.

Jack
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

Because your bike is a 2015, under warranty, this isn't relevant to your case. but for others with a diff. leak NOT under warranty, something I learned.

I have an old GL1100 (1981) and seals are no longer available for the differential. So, when the seal starts to finally leak it's a problem.

Turns out Lucas has a "hub oil" designed for heavy duty applications that is almost a miracle for this. Drys up leaks and restores seals. Have run it in the differential of my 1100 for many, many miles and it's remained leak free.

Replacement differentials are cheap and available for the 1800, but it might be worth a bottle of this stuff as a first try.

https://lucasoil.com/products/heavy-.../lucas-hub-oil

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

My bike had been at the dealer for a week now and no call telling me anything. I decided to go by and check on it. The service department said they coated the rear drive with white powder and were waiting to see where the leak was coming from to show up. I ask hem when my bike would be returned to me ready to ride. They said they had no idea. They were going to ride it 30-40 miles every day or so until the leak returned. I had a few harsh words to express before the shop manager came out and said I could take the bike and ride it with a plan to bring it back when the leak showed up. They said mother Honda would not authorize anything else. He said he suspected the leak was from the vent and that 50% of the GW bikes he sees weep from the vent. I told him that three ST1300 bikes and 3 VTX bikes I have owned in the last 10 years never had a leak like this one. In the end I do have the bike with the white powdered differential with instructions to not wash or ride it in the rain. The plan is to return it to the dealer after the leak shows itself again. I am not happy right now. This has already been the second trip to the dealer for the same leak. I wish I knew who I could call at Honda to see what can be done to get this over with sooner.

EDIT...I did mention that maybe it wasn't differential oil but brake fluid and thy all looked at me as if no one ever looked for that. Not much troubleshooting skills being used in my mind.

Any good reason to stay out of someone else’s mess is a gift to both parties.

Last edited by milkmaster; 05-20-2017 at 09:25 PM.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 09:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Well sorry to say but if it doesn't show any sign of leaking NOW I sure wouldn't expect them Or Honda to spend time and money fixing it, if it does start leaking again I suspect they will be happy to fix it.

ehcycledude@yahoo.com
02 GL1800 yellow 475,000 smiles
Rode my bike to Trailer Week
2013 Yamaha Tenere
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycledude View Post
Well sorry to say but if it doesn't show any sign of leaking NOW I sure wouldn't expect them Or Honda to spend time and money fixing it, if it does start leaking again I suspect they will be happy to fix it.
I certainly agree with that. However I do expect it to show up because no repair was made after I took it to the dealer. They just cleaned and powdered it. I am not asking for anything ridiculous to happen. I just want it fixed before a long ride vacation planned in June.

Any good reason to stay out of someone else’s mess is a gift to both parties.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 10:47 PM
Seasoned Member

I'm thinking the powder is to help the mechanic see where it's leaking from. As far as Honda not authorizing anything else to be done has me scratching my head. It's a bike under warrantee. They should be willing to fix it at any cost...

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

IMHO, "leaking" out the vent is typically from over filling. Spinning the rear wheel while adding fluid will over fill.

Two things I think you could do. One is park on center stand overnight and check fluid level first thing in the morning.

The other is go for a long ride on the freeway, burn a whole tank of gas at freeway speed. 30-40 miles is not far enough to get the final drive fully warmed up.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 09:30 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpweb View Post

Turns out Lucas has a "hub oil" designed for heavy duty applications that is almost a miracle for this. Drys up leaks and restores seals. Have run it in the differential of my 1100 for many, many miles and it's remained leak free.
For old farm equipment with drives that have worn out their seals, we have used a John Deere product called Corn Head Grease. This is a semi solid when cool to warm, but viscous liquid when hot. It has kept many a brush hog running for years beyond normal service life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaster View Post

EDIT

..I did mention that maybe it wasn't differential oil but brake fluid and thy all looked at me as if no one ever looked for that. Not much troubleshooting skills being used in my mind.
The pbotos you posted earlier were certainly showing sufficient residue to provide for a "sniff" test. There is NO DOUBT at all when the nose detects the distinct mal-odor of gear oil. Brake fluid would be softening the paint, but gasoline form a leaking "O" ring on the fuel line coupler at the tank could be your Huckleberry and would only have a very faint, if any, fuel odor.

prs

2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 09:45 AM
Supporting Vendor

What method of filling the drive with oil are you using? If you spin the wheel when you fill the drive, you will overfill it with oil, and it will blow oil out the vents as a result.

I would also suggest you clean all the residue off with soap and water and ride the bike some more and see it it returns. The amount of oil on the drive and wheel appear to me to be pretty small, and it may simply be left over residue from the rebuild process. Clean it all up and see if it comes back again.

GL1800 Maintenance Videos - 20 Disc Set

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Dealer/Installer

Follow Me on Facebook

Last edited by Fred H.; 05-21-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page