Cruise not working - GL1800Riders
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Cruise not working

Hey all you teckis out there looking for your wisdom! I bought this 08 a few weeks ago and was informed that the cruise did not work the indicator lights come on but the cruise will not set, fuse and relays seam to ck out! Any idea where I go from here? Thanks, Jim..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:31 PM
Contributing Member

One of the simple things to try...

Does it have aftermarket clutch and brake levers? Sometimes those are slightly different and they won't activate the switches the cruise control needs to work. You can try pushing the levers out while trying to set the cruise control to see if that could be the cause. A worn clutch bushing can also cause the issue.

Good luck with your new wing!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Concur with Goldwingsnut. I had chrome Kury clutch and brake levers and had the same issues. Went back to the OEM levers, which corrected the issue. Haven't had a problem since.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:03 PM
Seasoned Member

If the cruise push button latches but the cruise will not engage, and the brake recall was done, it may be that the foot brake switch may not have been adjusted.

Lots of complaints for that.

gramps

Troy, Michigan 2007 Goldwing
IBA 45141
BBG X5
SS2000 Gold

Mile Eater Bronze, Silver, and Gold
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:55 PM
Seasoned Member

It may be a sticking switch, Try setting the cruise while holding the clutch or front brake lever forward, If it turns out to be a sticking switch new switches are about $13 each, I've had good luck cleaning them by spraying WD40 into the switch then blowing it out with compressed air.

ehcycledude@yahoo.com
02 GL1800 yellow 475,000 smiles
Rode my bike to Trailer Week
2013 Yamaha Tenere
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator

First ... Congrats on the new to you bike and welcome to the forum.

Good pointers already given above. Any one of four micro switches not working properly can cause your problem. Sometimes one of these switches fail. Other times a worn or dry hand lever bushing is the culprit, keeping a lever from returning all the way and contacting the switch. Or, an out of spec aftermarket lever can fail to trip the switches properly.

Cleaning around the hand lever switches and lubing lever bushing is a good place to start.

Another possibility is improper adjustment of the mounting bracket for the switch on the rear brake master cylinder. This problem started showing up after the most recent brake recall was performed because the instructions to the Dealer mechanic on proper adjustments were not very good.

Here are just a couple threads from folks with similar issue for you to review. When reading here on Wing electrical, if @techdude2000 typed it, stop and read that post again!

2006 Cruise Control

Sticky Switches?

New brake/cruise micro switch when secondary master recall work is done?

Hope this helps. Please be sure to follow up and let us know what you find.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:28 AM
Contributing Member

Had a similar problem. Found the fitting on the clutch lever worn. I had been chasing the problem for awhile. Took the lever off saw the warn fitting. Bought a new one installed it, problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Byron Lentz
DSI#405
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 03:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Another potential problem

I too have had bad switch and/or mis-adjusted switch problems. Another problem I had was a very worn brass bushing on the clutch lever. I have never seen anything about lubing this item but now I do that routinely.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info guys, I ck the both brakes and clutch micro switches I could hear them making up with the double click and releasing not sure it's them unless one sounds good but is bad not sure where to go from here! And again I do appreciate your input!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Jym777 If you can't figger it out I am just a short way from you and have some tools, The ole 2 heads are bettern one thing. Give me a PM and we can talk or meet up. I have fixed a couple of dem dare tings bfore...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page