Surge when engaging cruise control - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:19 PM
Seasoned Member

When I did mine a while back, I did it by ear. With the engine running (idling), I turned the adjuster until I heard the revs pick up, then backed the adjuster off just enough for the revs to drop back down.

Now, when I hit the cruise at 70(ish), it engages very smoothly. Below that speed, it gains a bit (1-2 mph) when I engage the cruise, but quickly drops back to the desired speed. I prefer this over the 4-5 mph drop that I used to have whenever I set the cruise!

'08 Pearl White Navi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFromDenver View Post
Question: The "bombsite" setting method in the shop manual... does it provide anything more than setting it the way above? Does it more effectively prevent the cruise control from allowing the speed to drop before it picks it back up again?

David

As I recall the bomb site method improved but did not fix it. Another 1/2 to full turn would tend to be needed. My barrel nut turned so easy that I could tell where the slack was out and backed off about 1/2 turn from there. Seems like 3 and 1/2 turns is what mine needed to be smooth hooking up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Let me ask the question a different way. Both "bombsite" method and under the handlebar method can make the cruise control engage without surge or lag. What I am curious about is, when driving on hills with cruise control, I go down a hill and my speed might go up over the "set" speed of the cruise control. Then, when the road levels out, the cruise control allows the speed to drop 5 mph or so below its setting, then picks back up to the "set" speed. I set the adjustment using the handlebar method. If I set it instead using the "bombsite" method, would it alleviate this issue?

David

2008 Premium Audio Dark Red Metallic
DarkSider #719 - Yokohama Avid Envigor Run Flat 195/55/R16 @28 PSI (my 4th CT)

Previous Bikes
2000 BMW K1200LT (RIP)
1980 Suzuki GS1000GT
1975 BMW R90/6
1972 Honda CB500
1971 Honda CB350 - $999+tax
1964 Honda 90 - 6 1/2 horsepower, swings you along at 55 mph, and acheives 65 miles to the gallon. Priced at only $350.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:31 PM
Seasoned Member

I think that all that either method accomplishes is to take slack out of the cable between the cruise module and the throttle body. Just my opinion, but I don't think that doing both will make an improvement over doing either method by itself.

'08 Pearl White Navi
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddpole View Post
I think that all that either method accomplishes is to take slack out of the cable between the cruise module and the throttle body. Just my opinion, but I don't think that doing both will make an improvement over doing either method by itself.

Agree. Either way, all we are adjusting is cable slack.

With excess slack in my cable it took a second or two after hitting the set button for the slack to take up. If I hit the set button and immediately released the throttle, speed fell several miles per hour before recovering. Once it recovered from the "lag" on initial set, it operated normally.

As far as I could tell, taking up the slack up had no effect on cruise operation after it was engaged.

DaveFromDenver, you are describing the way the cruise fails to adjust for changing environments. I believe that is by design - or lack there of. As far as I know the cruise module monitors one and only one thing, speed. Then adjust throttle at a preset rate.

It doesn't know if I am solo so total weight is say, 1,100 pounds. Or, 2-up, full load and pulling a heavy trailer with total weight approaching 2,000 pounds! It also does not know if the hill ahead is a slight East Texas up grade or a Colorado mountain climb. Head wind or tail wind?

When I am controlling speed with my wrist, I compute all those other variables and react accordingly. The cruise module does its slow and steady thing every time, regardless of solo in East Texas or 2-up, full load going up Mt. Evans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Taddpole likes this.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

Yes. Mine does the same thing. Brand new bike. Seems like a persistent issue that should have I been addressed a long time ago in production. Honda quality?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 07:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Oh-oh!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page