Pivot rod Weird! - GL1800Riders
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Ironhorse1800
  • 2 Post By Jym777

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Pivot rod Weird!

I just bought an 08 and I've got another question for you guys out there, I went to adj my rear brake pedal and I noticed that the pivot rod only comes out of the case many half way? I didn't even have to pull the bolt out to pull the lever off the bolt butts against the ent of the shaft, the spline in the shaft where the bolt goes down is inside the case! Never seen anything like this, it's not very secure, any thoughts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:23 PM
Red
Chard Member

Pivot rod Weird!

Chances are you you pushed the splined male into the frame. Can't put the pedal on without removing the bolt. Take your hand or a tool and push the male end out

FYI... If I remember correctly you have to remove the peg and mount to get the pinch bolt in. I haven't owned a Wing in a few years so some things have become fuzzy.

Last edited by Red; 05-18-2017 at 04:46 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 02:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jym777 View Post
I just bought an 08 and I've got another question for you guys out there, I went to adj my rear brake pedal and I noticed that the pivot rod only comes out of the case many half way? I didn't even have to pull the bolt out to pull the lever off the bolt butts against the ent of the shaft, the spline in the shaft where the bolt goes down is inside the case! Never seen anything like this, it's not very secure, any thoughts!
JYM: I just pm'd you on this after we talked & it is probably why your cruise does not work either. I also pm'd you my phone #. Let us know how it works out. CULADER..

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

If that was not installed correctly after the rear master cylinder was replaced during the brake recall ... the same "mechanic" probably Mis-adjusted the bracket for the cruise switch on that master cylinder too!

Sounds like this bike needs a careful inspection of the ENTIRE brake recall procedure!
cycledude and Kiwi like this.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Really appreciate your help guys these forums are priceless with boat loads of experience and wisdom! Hopefully I may help someone out someday! Few things I'am going to ck soon as it cools down in a few hours!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Just took the big girl out for a test run after I got under it with a flat bar got the pivot rod back where it belongs and the brake back lever back on like it should be and guess what Ka-Sham the cruise works!! Kudos to all the info you guys gave me really appreciate it!!
megatwin and doug of no fl like this.

Last edited by Jym777; 05-18-2017 at 08:37 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jym777 View Post
Just took the big girl out for a test run after I got under it with a flat bar got the pivot rod back where it belongs and the brake back lever back on like it should be and guess what Ka-Sham the cruise works!! Kudos to all the info you guys gave me really appreciate it!!

Good news, sorta. Now that you know somebody that incompetent has worked on it ...

Start going over it with a fine tooth comb to find what else may be jacked up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page