GL1800Riders Forums banner

Buying an '02

2K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  silverbullet05 
#1 ·
I started to post this on a thread I started asking for advice but that was getting so long, I'd cut to the chase and start a new one. I sold my Concours a few days ago and got serious about looking for a new (to me) bike.

Not much at the Honda dealerships in used machines. I stopped by the local Harley dealership to see if there had been any trade ins. We went back to look at a trike. It had too many miles and was too pricey for me. Over in a corner was a YELLOW and I do mean YELLOW '02 'Wing. I looked it over and it had just the right custom touches and the bags were all lined with carpet and a wad of receipts in the one side box. I went and looked at some other bikes but came back twice. One thing about this dealership is all the machines have batteries in them. I fired it up and took it on a lengthy test ride. The one thing to grab me was the cruise control. I've had problems in the past with my hand going numb and this will cure that. I came onto an on ramp in top gear and didn't realize it with the torque.

The lady friend just got off work and is on her way to the dealership so later tonight I may have a GL1800 of my very own. I wanted a red one but YELLOW with black trim and all kinds of farkles is just as good. Well, off to the dealer. I took some pictures at the dealership and plan to tweak the H-D guys with one of the pictures. 0:)

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
One thing I did when I bought my used wing is asked the sales guy to call the previous owner and ask if I could contact him. That made the deal!!!l as it was not their policy, but the salesman got the ok from the original owner and it worked out REAL WELL!!!.. Great guy and he had A LOT of left over stuff I got from him. Plus very valuable info on the wing.. worth a shot.. Good luck with your purchase..

Ride Safe!!!

#5 ·
Take the VIn # to a Honda Dealer and see if all the recalls have done and the Frame was re-welded before you but if it's Not to late

#7 ·
Well, the GF loved the bike at first sight. I'll ride it for two or three weeks to get used to it before I take her riding. I figure a lengthy learning curve as it's so different than what I usually ride. The tires are serviceable but they are getting to the end of their service life. The front has tell tale scallops from running too low a pressure and the rear has a noticeable chicken strip.

I've already gotten some rude responses from some of the guys I work with over the photo I took of the 'Wing in front of a Harley dealership. They range from "That's just wrong" to some more colorful language that is inappropriate for a general forum like this.

#8 ·
Friend ......... you will love it and so will the wifey. I have a 07 and a buddy of mine has an 02. The 02 runs just as good as my 07 does. I have tried several times to try and buy his to no avail, just to have the extra one that I would like to have. His even seems to run a little bit more sportier than mine does. If the bike was well kept, then you got a heck of a deal. Again, I think the wife will love it also.

#12 ·
Hey ol grouch,

Does this mean my trip to Indiana is off?>:)

My relatives will miss me!

Yellow is my favorite color for a wing. Nice buy on a good looking bike.

Rayjoe

I was just looking around to see what bikes run and what's available. There's a shortage of used equipment at the Honda dealers and the H-D dealer is on the way home. It's where we found a helmet to fit her. She's like me and has trouble finding clothes big enough. I planned to contact you anyway even though my Connie was sold but this deal almost fell in my lap. I looked at other bikes with more miles and more money but not as nice.

I need to change the oil as the maintenance records that came with it say it's due. It was getting them every 3000-4000 miles with the original owner then #2 got it and didn't seem to do anything but ride. I know it had some serious head shake between 30 and 40 mph. The front tire is scalloped fairly heavy. I checked the pressure and when I got it home the rear tire had 22 psi and front had 18. I pumped them both up to 40 and the shake lessened. An oil change and then tires are in order. Later, I'll put a taller windshield and some rear speakers for momma. I've been watching youtube videos on working on the GL1800. I'm pretty sure the air filter is needing replacement too but I want to get more familiar with how the bike is put together before I tackle that.

I need to see what synthetic oil is available. I've got a repair manual on order so once it gets here, the wrenches will spin.

#15 ·
I don't own a yellow Wing, but I do own a yellow Bushtec trailer that was once owned by a guy that once owned a yellow Wing. People who own a colorful bike have to *own* it...by the yellow helmets, the yellow jackets, and tell people you do it in the name of visibility or that you just like to stand out in a crowd. Be proud and tell people "why don't you own a yellow bike, are you stupid or something."

You just can't half-own it or you'll be looking to change it.

#20 · (Edited)
Congrats on the new bike. Quite a few yellow Wings around here but none with the black stitching and other black painted parts. When i am in Evansville if i see that one around i will know who it is.

Or is it barbed wire?

#21 ·
It's barbed wire. There is also a scarecrow on the front and back leaning against a flag pole with an American flag. I got to looking close and the barbed wire is sticking through the scarecrow. One was painted on in '06 and one in '08. There is also a black and white checker board on the sides of the fairing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.