Wet sanding a windscreen..... - GL1800Riders
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Wet sanding a windscreen.....

I ride looking over my windscreen, but I like it looking sharp and my 2005 1800's screen is showing its age..... I've heard tell some people wet sand out the major scratches with a fine grade sandpaper...... Anybody done this? If so, what sandpaper do you use? Thanks in advance.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 08:31 PM
Red
Chard Member

Wet sanding a windscreen.....

If it's the Honda shield you can't because you have a coating over the plastic. The plastic is very soft when the coating is removed.

I'd recommend finding a good take off shield.
greyhound, Walrus and Cousin Jack like this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 09:46 PM
Seasoned Member

12 yrs old. Most likely hardcoat has degraded. You might try Plexus. Might help
If not, time to look at a F4 Customs shield. Highly scratch resistant and sheds rain really well.
Can be cleaned with Windex and paper towel!
F4Customs likes this.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 10:04 PM
DSI Keeper

Garage
Yep, Red gave the best advice. Replace it. The way mine takes a beating, I have to replace mine every year. They just get beat up too much between the sand and rocks.

'14 GL1800 Red
Keeper of the DSI numbers
http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt

FAQ (work in progress)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 10:10 PM
Seasoned Member

The coatings are the important part of the windshield.... you won't be happy if you try to salvage it by buffing and sanding...... it won't ever look like a new one.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 10:25 PM
Seasoned Member

How about the reconditioning of head light lenses on cars, wouldn't that be the same result? Just curious.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 10:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Don't think car headlights are coated.

Barney
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 11:31 PM
Seasoned Member

You might try Pledge and a micro fiber cloth. My daughter turned my on to it as a means to recover CDs and DVDs; then a pilot friend of mine related using it on aircraft windscreens to shed water. It is temporary but I carry a spray bottle in my saddle bag for post cleaning touch ups and preserving my windscreen, it helps water shed, bugs don't stick as bad and it fills the little scratches and swirls in the windshield to reduce the glare and improve visibility. Ultimately you'll want a new shield anyway but in the short term this might be a quick fix. Now there is a product you can find at plastic supply houses called NOVUS, it comes in at least three formulations used the buff out deeper sctratches, lighter scratches and swirls and a final polish to return a mirror surface. It takes some elbow grease but its how I finish off the edge of my lexan and plexi-glass projects after wet sanding. I've not tried it on our OEM shields but I've worked car headlights, plexi and other plastics (my wind wings) and it worked well; my windshield is still in pretty good shape still.

Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 110k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 02:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Biker 1 View Post
Don't think car headlights are coated.

Barney
The vehicles with the composite headlamps are all hard coated.
However, most likely, with the same number of years on them as on the OP's bike, those restore kits are useless.
The base material(polycarbonate)"yellows" through and through and trying to polish the outer surface is fruitless.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 05:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Headlight lenses today are all hardcoated polycarbonate, but the grade of plastic and hardcoat is vastly different than what is used for motorcycle windshields. Don't try to equate the two.

Honda uses GE Lexan polycarbonate with the FMR hardcoat. It's a great product, but it is also their basic, off the shelf, least expensive polycarbonate. If you have gotten 12 years out of it, then it has performed well, and it is time to just replace it. Even if you are diligent in not using harsh chemicals or abrasive towels, the sun oxidizes the hardcoat over time, which causes a haze, and thousands of micro cracks in the coating. The only way to prevent degradation is to just leave the bike in the garage.

Unlike Acrylic, uncoated polycarbonate is unusable as a comsumer grade product. It is too soft, and too easily damaged. That is why all polycarbonates have some type of hardcoat. And the hardcoat is too thin to rub out or sand. You will just go right through it.
smokeeater1 likes this.

Last edited by Sparky57; 06-17-2017 at 05:23 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page