GL1800Riders Forums banner

Powder Coated Rear Rim

2K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  moh58 
#1 ·
So a while back I had purchased a used rear rim to have as a spare, ready to mount tire. When purchased it was a bit rough and I had cleaned it up some with polish and such, but it was never to be in great condition. I had found a local powder coating shop the gave a price of $60 to powder coat the rim...so why not! It took a couple weeks and I just picked it up today. I had spoken to the shop manager and he had indicated that there were issues with the corrosion that was present and it seemed to cause some pimpling. Had cleaned and prepped the rim a second time, but the pimpling reappeared. But there was another issue. During the process, the rim had fallen off the table or rack and had dented and put a crack in the rim, and another crack had been discovered.

With the cracks...I will not be putting this on my Wing....this is now a big paper weight or door stop.

I had only paid $40 for the rim and the shop refunded the $40 since they caused the crack. So now I have a useless rim to try and discard! Will be looking for a new spare in the future. Attached a couple pictures:

Attachments

See less See more
#9 · (Edited)
My opinion...I would never powder coat a rear rim especially...A lot of shops will not mount tires because of the very real possibility of paint damage and a law suit...It has happened ask my tire man...The wheel is out of sight under the bike ..no one can tell whether it is powder coated or Duplicolored ...I tell my tire man not to worry about the paint as I will repaint it anyway...A lot easier to get my tires changed out.....$7.50 my last rear change out....

#11 ·
MOST THAT I KNOW OF BLAST THE WHEEL BEFORE THEY COAT THEM SO MAYBE THATS WHY ONLY WANTED $60 TO DO. MOST $85 / 100 YOU CAN DO YOURSELF .HARBOR FRT. SELLS THE TOOL TO DO. JUST NEED TO HAVE MOMMA LET YOU USE THE OVEN !!:laugh:

#15 ·
Personally, I will not trust the rim with cracks on my wing, riding with my wife. Darkside or with a MT, its just not worth it to me. It will be going to the scrap yard....unless of course you want it...free of charge and no liability against me!

#16 ·
Sorry your wheel got ruined. But the bad finish wasn't caused by the corrosion. I've done a ton of wheels and the problem was outgassing of contaminates in the material. There are ways around that problem and if the shop you are using doesn't know how to compensate for this problem, you might want to think about using a different shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#23 ·
I powder rims on occasion and what I do is mask off the outer edge in the bead area so that part stays silver. this eliminates issues with tire mounting. It is also best to powder in flat so imperfections don't show so badly. Seems like it would take a lot to crack a rim so there may be more to that story. In the end they treated you OK however.

#24 ·
First thing I would do is find a new powder coat shop before doing another.
Corrosion could have resulted in the pumping you refer to, but they should have been able to prep the rim properly to avoid it.
The crack is another issue, but I wouldn't give them a second chance just based on the poor quality of their powder coating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.