Coolant leak - GL1800Riders
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Coolant leak

I just purchased a 2001 GL1800 that has been sitting for a 1 1/2 years. The PO claims it was fine when he parked it but when we started it and it ran a bit a decent stream of coolant was coming out in the middle of the bike just behind the kickstand. Any ideas? What all do I need to remove to find the leak? Bought it at a decent price but it may not have been the deal I thought it was!
Weege likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 08:04 PM
GL1800 Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlover View Post
I just purchased a 2001 GL1800 that has been sitting for a 1 1/2 years. The PO claims it was fine when he parked it but when we started it and it ran a bit a decent stream of coolant was coming out in the middle of the bike just behind the kickstand. Any ideas? What all do I need to remove to find the leak? Bought it at a decent price but it may not have been the deal I thought it was!
If you can't see where it's coming from by looking around under the bike and around the alternator, then you will have to remove the shelter, seat, and gas tank to get to the top rear of the engine where the water pump is. There's also hoses and clamped fittings that could be the source on the top, rear of the engine. There is a weep hole in the water pump, but you will need to drop the recovery tank down to see it. It's tough to get a good look at it, but is doable.
Barrycuda67 likes this.

Rob's Candy Red '04

Last edited by techdude2000; 06-18-2017 at 08:23 PM.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

I haven't looked under it. I'll get it jacked up and take a peek.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techdude2000 View Post
If you can't see where it's coming from by looking around under the bike and around the alternator, then you will have to remove the shelter, seat, and gas tank to get to the top rear of the engine where the water pump is. There's also hoses and clamped fittings that could be the source on the top, rear of the engine. There is a weep hole in the water pump, but you will need to drop the recovery tank down to see it. It's tough to get a good look at it, but is doable.
Do you think that I can get a better look if I remove the alternator? The leak is not a drip but more like a small stream. It starts leaking after the bike runs for about a minute. Hoping it is a hose clamp or something easy.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:07 AM

Coolant leak

I Godlover

I had the same problem two years ago at the first start after the ivernation an antifreeze leak, under the gas tank there are several hoses and the clamps were tightened

FlyBoy2121
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005-4_zpsecb61d83.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	206785  
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:23 PM
GL1800 Doctor

Quote:
Do you think that I can get a better look if I remove the alternator? The leak is not a drip but more like a small stream. It starts leaking after the bike runs for about a minute. Hoping it is a hose clamp or something easy.
Yes, you can see the water pump, but you won't be able to see the hoses and their clamps.

Rob's Candy Red '04
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
How many miles on the bike ? Most likely it needs some hose clamps tightening, but it could also be the water pump leaking, either way you might as well remove the gas tank to check it out, the first time removing the tank seems like a pretty big job but once you have done it it's not really that difficult. If your going to do your own work I recommend getting a set of Fred Harmon's videos.

ehcycledude@yahoo.com
02 GL1800 yellow 475,000 smiles
Rode my bike to Trailer Week
2013 Yamaha Tenere
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycledude View Post
How many miles on the bike ? Most likely it needs some hose clamps tightening, but it could also be the water pump leaking, either way you might as well remove the gas tank to check it out, the first time removing the tank seems like a pretty big job but once you have done it it's not really that difficult. If your going to do your own work I recommend getting a set of Fred Harmon's videos.
Thanks. I'm pretty handy. I have a Handylift and a place to work on it. I'll tear into it!
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 01:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Hopefully the rodents have not chewed the pipes while stored.

2009 GL1800 8A / Triumph Scrambler 900. Ridden where the geography includes glaciers, fiords, mountains, plains, subtropical forest, volcanic plateau, and miles of coastline are all within easy reach of each.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 02:02 PM
GL1800 Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Hopefully the rodents have not chewed the pipes while stored.
That's a thought, especially on the top of the engine, quiet, dark, and a tasty treat just inside a little rubber.

Rob's Candy Red '04

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page