Wobble at slow speeds. - GL1800Riders
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Wobble at slow speeds.

Periodically I get a wobble in the handlebars when traveling at speeds less than 40. I see no cupping in my tires nor feel any irregular shapes in either tire. Having seen another post about rear lug nuts causing a wobble I checked them and all are still tight and in place. I first noticed this when removing my hands to unzip vents on my suit. Gradually this has gotten worse and I sometimes feel it during tight low speed turns. I have a superbrace on the front forks and it's still tight as well. Anyone have an idea for what this can be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member

deceleration wobble

all you need to do is install All Balls tapered roller bearings in the steering stem torqued at 30 lbs. that will solve your problem. do not waste your time with fork braces.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1978 Gl 1000
1984 Gl 1200
1985 G l1200
1986 Gl 1200 SEI
2003 Gl 1800

Darksider
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 07:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes03Wing View Post
all you need to do is install All Balls tapered roller bearings in the steering stem torqued at 30 lbs. that will solve your problem. do not waste your time with fork braces.

It worked for me!!!

2010 Titanium level 1 new 3/12/11

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 08:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes03Wing View Post
Worked for me also. Highly recommend it.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 08:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Same here. Installed All Balls on my 2006 at about 1500 miles. Didn't shake again until about 125K, had a new set installed and problem solved.

The 2016 will be getting them soon.

Jim

2016 Level 3 13K Miles
2005 Yamaha FJR 51K Miles

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 09:03 AM
Seasoned Member

Both of my GL1800's had the wobble from about 40 or 45 mph when decelerating and hands off of the bars.

It would go away for a short time after installing a new set of tires.

I never considered it an issue.

No matter where you go, there you are.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 11:15 AM

Garage
Honda has a fix for that, or at least the one they told me. "Sir, it clearly states in your owner's manual that you must keep both hands firmly on the bars at all times when the bike is in motion."
The dealership told me about the "All Balls" solution and even quoted me a decent price to install them. I thought that was stupid being the bike was under warranty. In the end I traded to a newer bike because of all the "stupid" issues. (Honda was completely worthless on all of them, giving advice like that quoted above. I'm not kidding, Honda CS really said that.)

President
Thunder Mountain
Green Knights
Military Motorcycle Club
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 01:43 PM
Seasoned Member

If 'Goldwing wobble posts' go Public on the Stock market I am gonna invest all I have...and subsequently get rich.

...my solution was 1500 worth of Traxxion springs and Triple tree installed by Fred.

"hum, fear not evil I shall"
"All things with Christ's strength I do"

Yoda quoting the Bible.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 01:44 PM
Seasoned Member

I would revisit the tyre and make sure it has not gone out of round and slightly egg shaped by spinning it while on the full stand.

Start it up and pop it into gear then look from the back to see of it goes up and down.

I had that but didn't notice the first time I checked it. Then I did the all balls and brace route, and it was still there.

Turned out I had broken belts, they get progressively worse as they break 1 at a time and radiate out from the first damaged belt.
Clear as mud? Real easy to do and doesn't take long at all.

The number of threads that result in the rear tyre causing problems with the rider feeling it in the bars is amazing.

2009 GL1800 8A / Triumph Scrambler 900. Ridden where the geography includes glaciers, fiords, mountains, plains, subtropical forest, volcanic plateau, and miles of coastline are all within easy reach of each.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 08:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Mine did it when new and has done it with new tires. I just keep both hands on the handlebars and figure its just the nature of the beast. Imho, I feel if the bikes weight distribution were more to the front, it would help and higher speeds are not effected due to the gyro effect of the front wheel.

Cuda HP383 335hp 4 speed Shaker - Corvette Stingray 3LT 6.2L 455hp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page