GL1800Riders Forums banner

Replace airbag with glove compartment

7K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  techdude2000 
#1 ·
Has anyone heard of removing and replacing the airbag with the new style glove box.
I would much rather have the storage space since I believe the airbag is a waste of usable storage.
08 Airbag.

#3 ·
I would think the system would throw codes if you disconnected the airbag. Out of curiosity, why do you feel the airbag is a waste? I've wondered myself how useful they are but put my trust in Honda.

#12 ·
I am afraid it might deploy ( by mistake) and knock me out of the saddle . It eliminated the lockable right hand compartment which is very useful.. There are recalls on certain airbag models . I need more storage in the cockpit. Non airbag models use the space for a storage compartment. Has ANYONE reported an accident where the airbag saved their life ?

#5 ·
Why Not check with a local Honda dealer -too see if it's possible? I think the airbag is part of the total airbag recall and now that the airbag supplier co is bankrupt that may well be an option as the air bag won't be repaired any time soon

#9 ·
All sorts of issues I would think sensors radio, maybe techdude2000 would have a better explanation on why it's a bad idea to do that.... Airbag Can't hurt won't help in every type of accident.. but as demonstrated in YouTube video it helps in that type for sure...
Joe

#11 ·
The bike probably has a special version of the instrument cluster with a custom ECU that is just for the airbag model. (Look up the part numbers and compare then.)

If the part numbers are the same, then you can likely remove the airbag without getting error codes. But I agree with a previous post. Your airbag model has value. Sell it and buy a bike without an airbag.

I always thought that moving the radio controls to the side on all the non airbag bikes and putting that stupid compartment in the middle instead was about the dumbest, and cheapest thing Honda ever did to this bike. All because they didn't want to stock multiple versions of the radio. I won't buy a 2012 or later bike because of it.

#13 ·
There's no easy way to get rid of it without the system warning you constantly about it. I've never heard of one deploying when it wasn't in a crash. Honda has lots of safeguards in the system to keep it from going off without a crash. The system control has a setup where the fork mounted accelerometer's signals are compared to each other and another one inside the control unit. For it to accidentally set off, it would have to detect a big difference in the signals between these 5 sensors. If you really need the storage room, you should sell or trade it for a non airbag model, there's more of them out there and priced lower than yours. Goodluck with your decision.

#17 ·
I think this thread is a testament to the kind nature of the folks on this board. Why the OP would want to loose the safety (and aftermarket value) of an airbag in trade for a very tiny cubbyhole is far beyond my understanding. I have even wondered if the original post was from a troll. But the responses have, nearly all, tried to be helpful.

Reasonable question or not, I can only image what kind of remarks this kind of post would have drawn on most other forums...

#22 ·
Thank you for not telling me I am nuts. The airbag on my bike is over nine years old and there have been incidents and failures that produced recalls. The dealers are very hesitant to discuss the subject.
I TRUST HONDA !! They make the best motorcycles in the WORLD in my opinion. Nothing is perfect .
Is this message board to share technical knowledge ?
I bought my first GL1800 A in 2001 the next in 2004 the next in 2008 and now the fourth in June of this year. this is the first used one I have three sons in their forties who ride with me .
One of the 08's has the airbag. I AM VERY SAFETY MINDED. That is why I have been rinding 47 years without an accident. My question about he airbag is valid.
I am looking for answers not wise cracks from people who do not know the technical answers to my questions.
Have I joined the wrong site?
Vernon

#23 ·
I answered your question in post #13 and some more in #16 above. You are on the correct site for accurate info, but removing the airbag is something no one has done on this board for more than one reason. The same goes for the questions that pop up occasionally about adding or removing the ABS system, it's simply easier and cheaper to trade the bike for what you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.