GL1800 CB like antenna for ham radio? - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

GL1800 CB like antenna for ham radio?

Does anyone know of a source for a gl1800 CB radio-like antenna for ham radio use?

I'd hate to drill a hole in the trunk lid for a 2 meter or 146/440 ham antenna ...

Thanks in advance.

Dom in So. Philadelphia
2005 GL1800 ABS
GWRRA, HRCA, IBA, STOC, NRA

My 'cycle trips:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 05:10 AM
Seasoned Member

If your talking about the mag base antenna types, I don't know where you would mount them. The scoot is all plastic on the outside. And I know of no dual banders that cover from 27 Mhz to 440 Mhz. Perhaps you could look around find a place to mount a clamp on. Comet and many others make a very wide variety. The "thru the glass" types would work, but you would have to glue the antenna on the bike. The glue used is almost non removeable, and would surely damage the finish. I have seen a few antennas mounted on short poles att'chd to a trailer hitch. Perhaps on the handle bars somewhere??? (btw...thru the glass mounts are VERY susceptable to generating unwanted RF. Many ops have experianced problems with onboard computer systems when using this type of mount)......
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 08:41 AM
Seasoned Member

I was thinking on this the other day and looking at the radio ant on the bike now for the stereo. I was thinking of taking a regular ant like what is on the bike and cutting it down to 1/4 wave lenght for 2 meters and mount on the side where the cb ant goes.
Or buying the cb mount (the chrome one on the trunk) and taking a dual bander ant and installing the coax mounts from the comet dual bander ant I have and treading it up thru the base. Then all you need to do is thread the comet ant on. Looks a little different than the cb ant but gives you 2 or 440 meters. Or you could just buy a 2 meter ant and convert the stereo mount to accept the ant. I am going to experiment this winter.
I just bought a dual bander for my truck a few weeks ago a Yeasu 7800. It has a removeable face plate and you can intall the radio in the trunk and the face plate mounted on the pocket door with velcro, which then can be removed any time you wish.
Hope this helps get the creative juices flowing 73''.

GWLee
N4SAT

GWLee
Retired and enjoying my

06 1800 GoldWing
Premium, Titanium
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Radio antennas:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickyfingers
And I know of no dual banders that cover from 27 Mhz to 440 Mhz. )......
TNX for the info. I would not be interested in CB band on the bike ... .I would do 2 meters or 144/440 mhz.

Bike is plastic as you all know, but I wonder if a ground wire to the frame (a lot of metal there) might work as a suitable rf ground ...

Dom In Philly

Dom in So. Philadelphia
2005 GL1800 ABS
GWRRA, HRCA, IBA, STOC, NRA

My 'cycle trips:
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 08:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Ok guys, heads up.......... The regular Hondaline CB antenna works just fine......... I have used my 5 watt handheld for years on bike with this set up....... You just get the proper connections to hook into antenna or make your own with PL259's............ I just made my own , as I dont have CB installed on bike.........

The 2 meter only uses the portion of antenna up to center load.. just like a dual band antenna does.......... I checked the SWR and it's 1.3 thru most of the 2 meter band range.......... Works like a charm......... Just try it and see what SWR readings you get with your CB antenna........ I have done this with 2 other Wings and same SWR readings.........

I run my HT in the left box with aux hookup....... this lets me hear thru external speakers or headsets........ works really well......... Hope this helps Bob
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 09:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Dom,

I agree with Bob, the CB antenna will work on 2M. I ran a 2M HT for a while, but changed to CB since most of the people I ride with are not Hams. Now I'm an Extra Class CB Radio Operator

Another option is staying with the rubber duck antenna if using an HT. As far as ground is concerned, use the ground located in the trunk. It's there to ground the OEM CB.

Hope this helps.

73's (ko4cx)

Alabama IronButt

It's the Journey, not the Destination

1963 Cushman Silver Eagle
1966 Sears Allstate 250
Iron Butt Member 21872
Patriot Guard Member

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 11:53 AM
Seasoned Member

I am planing to use the Firestick 2M4B adapted to the Honda CB antenna base, at least to start with. The biggest problem I can see is that there will be little or no ground plane provided by the bike. One solution would be to cover the inside of the trunk with foil tape and mount a dual-band 5/8 wave in in the center. Of course if you have a trailer hitch the best installation would be a Hustler CG-144 2 mounted on the hitch.

Good luck, and please post your results.

Bill
kg5ie
Harley Davidson FLSTC

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 12:32 PM
Seasoned Member

just use a 1/4 wave coax bazooka feeder for both 144 and 440, dont forget a 1.3 swr is %11 loss or 2-3 S points.

Nigel

DE G0JKN

A married man should forget anything he does wrong... no point in two people remembering!!
2008 GL1800
2001 Ducati M4 monster
2002 R1 - sold
2001 GL1800A1 TE - Sold
2001 ST1100 - son has this
1996 CB1000 - sold
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Banned

Nigelf

The standard for a S unit is 6 db.... So if you lose 2 S units, your signal is down 12 db or you have over 95 per cent LOSS !!!! And if it is 3 S units down, that is 18db down or 99 per cent LOSS !!!

Loss based on SWR is feed line loss and depends on the length of the line, Some COAX will have a lot more loss than others.

The Frame of the GL-1800 will work just fine for the ground plane on two meters and up !!! It even works well on 80 and 40 meters which I operate at times mobile on the bike !! I generally will be found on the CW portion of the band when Motorcycle Mobile !!

73 es CUL de KA7W sk
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 09:13 PM

Re: GL1800 CB like antenna for ham radio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomPA894
Does anyone know of a source for a gl1800 CB radio-like antenna for ham radio use?

I'd hate to drill a hole in the trunk lid for a 2 meter or 146/440 ham antenna ...

Thanks in advance.
You might check the MARC (motorcycle amature radio club)http://www.ba-marc.org/ web page, maybe you can find some good info there or from the members who ride bikes and are Amature Radio Ops..

Poldawg

2002 - GL1800
"Yellow-Fever"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page