CASTROL SYNTHETIC Oil - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Send a message via MSN to Snazzy Nazzy Biker
CASTROL SYNTHETIC Oil

Does anyone on the board use or know something about Castrol Synthetic Oil for use in the GL1800????

I have used regular Castrol 20-50 for the life of the bike, . . . . but thought I would try the "synthetic". If you have info, . . . I would appreciate hearing about it. Thanks

Thank a Teacher if you can read this -- Thank a VETERAN for making it in English!
Praises & Thank-you's to all the People serving in our MILITARY!
02 Silver with/ NO CRACKS, NO DRIPS, NO ERRORS!
DO SOMETHING GOOD IN YOUR LIFE, THAT WILL “OUT-LIVE” YOU!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 08:09 PM
Red
Chard Member

I've used the Castrol 20/50 Blend for years. I've tried the Castrol 20/50 full synthetic a couple times, but I thought the blend made the Wings shift smoother. YMMV...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 08:41 PM
IBTrike

Any oil that meets the JASO T903 MA spec (it will be so stated on the bottle) will be fine, as long as you follow the weight recommendation for your riding conditions. 10W-40 is good for most conditions.

Do not use any oil that is called "energy saving", as it may contain moly, and can screw up your wet clutch. Such oils will NOT be certified JASO T903.

IMHO, pure synthetic oil is very expensive, and there isn't any advantage in using it in touring bike.

Ride safe.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 02:09 AM
Seasoned Member

I have used Castrol 10-40 full synthetic for quite a while. I have found it on sale for 5$ a quart and bought a case at a time.[12 bottles] My bike shifts as good as when I tried Amsoil, and is considerably cheaper.
I don't know if it is really any better than any other oil or not, but you have to choose something and I chose it. I change at 5000 miles because I feel better than longer intervals.

'08 Pearl White CSC
'04 Black GL1800
'04 Black Escapade Elite
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 07:05 AM
Seasoned Member

A word of warning about Syntec 20/50. I did some research on this last week when a similar Castrol topic came up.

Syntec 20/50 contains elevated levels of zinc and was created specifically for older classic cars. Castrol recommends that it not be used in any vehicle built after 1993.

Larry
2002 Illusion Blue GL1800
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Castrol 10W40 synthetic here.
No problems.

2006 Honda Goldwing,titatium with GPS Navigation.
2004 VTX 1800C,titatium flame paint,K&N air filter.studded stock seat with honda deluxe backrest with rack.
2006 Suzuki Hayabusa,pearl white paint.Yoshimura titatium bolt on exhaust cannisters.
1982 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD, black paint original,K&N air filter.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 09:50 PM

First Oil Change

Doing my first oil change. I wanted to use Castrol Synthetic, but it only seems to be available in the "energy conserving" style. Is there a secret Castrol Sythetic that I don't know about?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Contributing Member

Is the 20/50 blend appropriate for any climate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
I've used the Castrol 20/50 Blend for years. I've tried the Castrol 20/50 full synthetic a couple times, but I thought the blend made the Wings shift smoother. YMMV...
You live in a hot Florida climate. Do you think this same Castrol 20/50 blend would be appropriate for the cold northern climate? I plan on riding from about March 15 to December 1 in any given year. It can be quite cold late November. I am hoping the heated grips and seats will allow me to ride for at least another month out of the year than what I use to do onmy old bike.

As far as oil, I have read a few of the forum threads on dino vs synthetic oil and have no clear opinion on what is best in a motorcycle. I guess either is fine, kind of depends on what makes you think is best.

2007 GL1800 Comfort/NAV (21k miles)
1996 Suzuki VS800 (30k miles)
Trek bicycle (5k miles)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 10:12 PM
DT
Seasoned Member

Re: CASTROL SYNTHETIC Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snazzy Nazzy Biker
...If you have info, . . . I would appreciate hearing about it. Thanks
It's been my experience that most bikes like one brand better than another. My '05 did not like the Castrol synthetic motorcycle oil...rougher shifting and slipped out of fifth gear from time to time.

Your results may be much different.

8th & I - '73-'75
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 11:06 PM
Seasoned Member

On the recommendation of the local Honda GW mechanic, I've used Castrol SYNTEC 20/50 for several years. It is petroleum based by the way. Good oil...Smooth shifing, etc. At 52K I switched to Dawg's AMSOIL and I like it better. JMHO.

I SPY
'01 CSC Cobra...Black
'08 HD FLHT Electra Glide...Black (of course)
TRIKES & BAGGERS RULE !!! Get used to it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page