GL1800 turbo kit soon to be on the market - GL1800Riders
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 248 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member
GL1800 turbo kit soon to be on the market

I have look in vain for performance up grades for my 06 and run into dead ends every were I go, So I have developed the first turbo kit for the gl1800, kits will be available in early 08, it should only take 10 hours to install,
with only 7-8 lbs boost the power will increase from 114 hp to 195 hp, torque will go from 149 ft lbs to 230 ft lbs

here is a list so far, and still growing. of parts you would expect to see in the kit

* Turbo (ball baring style)
* complete S/S exhaust to be welded to the end of stock exhausts
* rear mounted air intake and filter
* carbon fibber charge air tubing to throttle bodies
* carbon fibre gas tank, to replace stock tank
* liquid to air inter cooler
* oil cooler
* oil scavenge pump - also the turbo supply pump, no need to tap into engine oil
* all oil lines
* boost timing retard
* fuel regulator
* boost gage with adjustable boost presser by the touch of a button
* boost presser blow off valve
* all fittings and clamps
* template for cutting the stock or custom tail pipe ends to fit around turbo pipes
* a new carbon fibber rear fender for bikes that have the radio speaker amp. mounted in the rear
* an instructional DVD

for photos contact George Parker
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 248 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 01:23 PM
Seasoned Member
This thing scares me now With that much more, I'd hurt myself......but I'll be glad to ride yours, once. Good luck with your project.
post #3 of 248 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 01:36 PM
Gold Member
post #4 of 248 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 05:37 PM
Seasoned Member
Send a message via AIM to Jeff in Ferndale WA
assuming you have it thoght out and can make it fit,is the rest of the drivetrain strong enough to handle the extra power?
post #5 of 248 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 05:51 PM
Supporting Vendor
What I would like to know is how you remap the injector pulses to maintain the proper air/fuel ratio? Are you planning on using a Power Commander or similar device and developing maps on a dyno for it? Or are you intending on just adjusting the fuel pressure to try to richen the mixture? Seems to me like it would need a new fuel map if you wanted it to work right, and not run the engine too lean.

GL1800 Maintenance Videos (20 DVD set)
post #6 of 248 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 06:00 PM
Seasoned Member
Lamont made a supercharger for the Valks why coundn't it be fitted to a wing? same engine.

less stuff under the plastic.

adjusting the fuel mixture would be a big problem since no one make a PC3 for a wing.

good idea , keep us posted with problem solving results,

post #7 of 248 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 06:02 PM
For those considering this mod, if you are under warranty, you can kiss it goodbye.

Good chance the turbo mod will either blow the engine, tranny, clutch, or rear drive, or the turbo itself.

Last I knew, the GL1800 is a touring bike...not intended or designed to be a crotch rocket.

But whatever tickles your pickle.

Good luck.
post #8 of 248 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 06:05 PM
Seasoned Member
post #9 of 248 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 06:05 PM
Legend in His Own Mind
post #10 of 248 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 06:34 PM
Seasoned Member
I can't wait to see someone try it, but it won't be me. Just off the top of my head I question a lot of things about this.

1. How do you nearly double the HP with only 5-6 pounds of boost. I had an intercooled SVO Mustang Turbo with 19 psi boost and could only get 205, compared to 125 hp on the stock 2.3L. The numbers don't add up.

2. Considering how some of these rear ends and transmissions are having problems with, I seriously doubt they could handle that much horsepower for long.

3. Without completely replacing the ECM with an adjustable aftermarket version, the engine would destroy itself rather quickly from detonation without being able to retard the timing and change the fuel mixture. You could add alcohol or water injection, but that takes even more space.

4. The inside of this engine is largely unknown. Is it a forged crank? How beefy are the bearing caps? What material are the pistons and valves made of?

5. Space for the turbo is a bad enough problem, but the specs mention an intercooler. With side mounted radiators, where is the intercooler going to go?

It's April 1st, isn't it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page