How to access right "glove box" when lock fails - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Carrol Amerson Send a message via MSN to Carrol Amerson
How to access right "glove box" when lock fails

Have any of you had the key lock stop working on the right side fairing compartment? I am guessing that the locking system has slipped down to where the key will not activate to unlock the compartment.

My question is how in the world do you get to the problem to attempt fixing? I can't figure out how to fix it if I can't get to the problem. If any of you have had this problem, would you tell me what you did? I am guessing that something has to be taken apart, but don't want to experiment without some guidance. I sure would appreciate any help.

Carrol

Carrol Amerson
Roanoke, VA
2001 1800 Goldwing w/Escapade Elite
GWRRA, VA "K"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 06:52 AM
Veteran

Bartman fixed his
... and then took the time to post some "how to" pictures
for the rest of us

see here:
http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... hp?t=73596

Dennis

....Life....

\_(ツ)_/

";;;;;;;;;
{}
( ~ )
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 06:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Try this thread. I think it will help you. (oops! Dennis you are too fast for me )

CLICK HERE

MERRY CHRISTMAS

'05 GL1800A Dark Grey Metallic
IBA #26626--SS1K, SS2K, BBG, 48/10
AMA--Colorado Rascals
Life is so simple, but we insist on making it complicated. _ Confucius 551-479 BC
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 06:56 AM
Seasoned Member

I got into the pocket by removing the the Key Lock and just pulling on the cable. I left the key lock out until I got a new one under warranty The cable is long enough to reach through the hole were the key lock was.
hazle

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] And the commoners were more than satisfied to have their environmental and social rules created by an esteemed, highly educated person hence helmet laws where mostly commoners reside
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Carrol Amerson Send a message via MSN to Carrol Amerson
Thanks for the help

Thanks for the info and the link to the photos of how it is done. Pictures work much better with me than just words I believe I can work out my problem now.

Merry Christmas to ALL of you

Carrol

Carrol Amerson
Roanoke, VA
GWRRA, VA "K"
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 08:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Before you put everything back in, tie a fishing line, or something similar, to the latch assembly so if it happens again you just remove the front panel and pull on the string. Experience taught me that the cable can, and will, come off the latch when you put the pocket back in.

Twyn

'61 Wife
'80 Son
'92 Daughter
'95 Son
'03 Illusion Blue
IBA #23569
Hoop It Up Embroidery
Hoopitupemb@Charter.net

"I'm living for the moment when time will be no more." - The Booth Brothers
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 02:31 AM
Seasoned Member

twyn said "Experience taught me that the cable can, and will, come off the latch when you put the pocket back in."

Make sure the cable sheath is firmly snapped into its plastic "C"-shaped holder. If the sheath is secure, it would be very difficult for the cable to disengage.

Good Luck...!

Regards,

Chuck
"Cissie", 2001 Yellow ABS 48K miles
So CA
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Didn't work for me

After all this great info from all of you, I was not successful in getting the locking system re-connected. It would have been great if it had come loose at the lock, but mine had slipped out up at the box latching system. I could not figure out any way to get to the latch to open so I could fix it. The box itself blocks access, even with the wire suggested by you. Oh well, I didn't need that box anyway Hope I don't have anything important in there.

Carrol
Roanoke, VA

Carrol Amerson
Roanoke, VA
GWRRA, VA "K"
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 08:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Remove fairing trim and the screw that holds the lock panel in place and reach up beside the box with a stiff piece of wire ( piece of coat hanger) and pull the latch.

No matter where I go here I am.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hand
Remove fairing trim and the screw that holds the lock panel in place and reach up beside the box with a stiff piece of wire ( piece of coat hanger) and pull the latch.
Brian,
I tried that for about an hour with no success. I guess it's just me!!! The small hole on the left of the box allows 0 view of the latch and the wire just didn't catch on to anything that released the lock. Thanks for your input.

Carrol

Carrol Amerson
Roanoke, VA
GWRRA, VA "K"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page