CB Radio Transmit is very Weak - Recieve is Fivers!! HELP! - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

CB Radio Transmit is very Weak - Recieve is Fivers!! HELP!

Went out for a ride the other day with a couple of riders and found out the transmit on my CB Radio is very, very weak, almost non-existent. My receive side is L/C and works like a charm. When transmitting I see the TX indication in the dash and also a very faint "roger beep" when I release the transmit switch. Has anyone ever experienced this and if so, what was the fix. Appreciate assistance. SWR was good at installation.

Thanks

Winston
TSGT USAF Retired
---------------------------------------------

Currently Sans Motorcycle
Previous Bikes:
'02 Stream Silver Metallic Wing
'07 Crucible Orange Triked with '08 CSC Cobra Kit
'08 Escapade Elite Trailer
'12 Victory Cross Country Tour (White)
Darkside #650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 10:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Re: CB Radio Transmit is very Weak - Recieve is Fivers!! HELP!

Have you tried new cords or swapped out helmets to see if any of that is causing it. Mine did what yours is doing except when I transmitted with almost no sound the TX light did not light. J & M replaced my cord at no charge.

JustWings - GL1800 Specialty Service and Repair

Advice is like cooking ... I always try it before I feed it to others !!!

Florida Prowler #78
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Silverhawk,

It could be the cabling like Greg mentioned. However, that sounds like an issue with the TX section (circuitry) of the radio. Could well be SWR. I have a power/SWR meter that we could check it with, assuming it has the typical CB connectors on it (I don;t have a CB on mine so don't know what the install looks like. I also have a 250W bi-linera amp we could hook up to it to see if it will TX then, but that is not a very good test because you have to de-tune the radio to use that AMP. If TX section is already weak, it won't prove much.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to pull the plastic and check all connectors. Finally found my paperwork so I know where things are supposed to be and where they are supposed to be hooked up.

Richard, since you are so close, I may be hooking up with you in the not too distant future...after I do some digging inside. Thanks for the offer.

Winston
TSGT USAF Retired

Previous Bikes:
Darkside #650
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldWingrGreg
Have you tried new cords or swapped out helmets to see if any of that is causing it. Mine did what yours is doing except when I transmitted with almost no sound the TX light did not light. J & M replaced my cord at no charge.
Actually I haven't. That should have been the first thing to check. Guess I'm getting a tad hazy in my old age. Thanks for reminding me of basic trouble-shooting techniques.

Winston
TSGT USAF Retired

Previous Bikes:
Darkside #650
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 12:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Make sure you check the ground strap in the trunk for the antenna. It will cause a very simular problem.
Good Luck
Bob

Note: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 07:03 AM
Seasoned Member

When you are discussing transmitting, the first thing you have to do it determine if it is a transmitting power problem, or a modulation problem, which is easy to do, but you will have to query your friends.

When you key up the mike, do they hear a lot of noise in the background? If so, it is a transmitting problem. If you can break squelch fairly easily on their CBs, the background noise is fairly low, and it is just your voice that is low in volume, it is a modulation problem.

Until that is known, suggestions on how to fix the problem are hit or miss. Those two problems require two distinctly different troubleshooting approaches.

Larry
2002 Illusion Blue GL1800
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 10:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bugsquawsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinLite
Silverhawk,

It could be the cabling like Greg mentioned. However, that sounds like an issue with the TX section (circuitry) of the radio. Could well be SWR. I have a power/SWR meter that we could check it with, assuming it has the typical CB connectors on it (I don;t have a CB on mine so don't know what the install looks like. I also have a 250W bi-linera amp we could hook up to it to see if it will TX then, but that is not a very good test because you have to de-tune the radio to use that AMP. If TX section is already weak, it won't prove much.

The connectors on the Antenna are different
More like the kind on the back of a stereo rather than the kind you find on the back of a standard CB.

05 30th Anniversary "The Dirty White Girl"

No Helmet wearing , Smoking, Drinking, Loud pipe, No Chrome, Radar Detector watching, Crush washer reusing Goldwing Rider.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM
When you are discussing transmitting, the first thing you have to do it determine if it is a transmitting power problem, or a modulation problem, which is easy to do, but you will have to query your friends.

When you key up the mike, do they hear a lot of noise in the background? If so, it is a transmitting problem. If you can break squelch fairly easily on their CBs, the background noise is fairly low, and it is just your voice that is low in volume, it is a modulation problem. Until that is known, suggestions on how to fix the problem are hit or miss. Those two problems require two distinctly different troubleshooting approaches.
Modulation issue: Seems as if this may be the culprit. When transmitting, I can break rcvr squelch and co-riders can hear me. But, the volumn level is very, very, very low ... they can barely hear me close by. When approx 100 feet away, they cannot hear me at all. And I can just barely hear the roger beep. I'm still going to have to do some additional first level trouble-shooting before I can pin the problem to one specific area. However, it may just be a loose connector or a broken pin somewhere. The saga continues.

Winston
TSGT USAF Retired

Previous Bikes:
Darkside #650
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 02:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bugsquawsher

Check under the seat and see that the Antenna is plugged in all the way. Then Check the ground.

05 30th Anniversary "The Dirty White Girl"

No Helmet wearing , Smoking, Drinking, Loud pipe, No Chrome, Radar Detector watching, Crush washer reusing Goldwing Rider.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page