Northern Calif. suggestions - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Northern Calif. suggestions

I am planning our trip for next October and need some info. I will be leaving lake tahoe area and want to go up to crater lake before coming back down to Crescent city and hitting the 101 south. Any suggestions for routes! I don't do interstates if possible and the twistier the better. I don't want to do it in one day so I will need to split it into two days of riding so I will need to stay one night along the way. Any ideas! Thanks

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

05 GL1800 with R&R racing custom front suspension w/traxxion triple tree & Traxxion Penske rear shock
2011 FE390 Husaberg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 07:52 PM
Seasoned Member

If I was going to do it, I take highway 89 all the way to Mt. Shasta.. Then I5 to Weed and 97 to Klamath Falls.. From Klamath Falls to 62 and that will get you to Crater Lake.. You can ride around the whole lake.. Do the lake thing and get back on 62 to 234 and head for Grant Pass.. 199 will take you to 101 and Crescent City.. In Crescent City all the way out to the end of the harbor is 1 of the best seafood restaurant on the coast..
It's all great bike road.. The only boring part is From CA boarded to highway 62.. To do this in 2 days you'd have to ride your butt off..
If you're coming down the coast, on 101, Turn at Leggett.. That's the beginning of Coastal Highway 1.. You can ride 1 to San Diego.. That will the most scenic and fun highway you'll ever get to ride...........
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Thanks foodman. That is the route that I had planned with the intent of staying the night in Mt. Shasta and then doing crater lake the next day and then ending that day down in crescent city. Do you think that is doable! That is about 300 miles each day which should not be a problem. Any comments!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

05 GL1800 with R&R racing custom front suspension w/traxxion triple tree & Traxxion Penske rear shock
2011 FE390 Husaberg
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 01:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Oh ya 300 a day is doable.. It's twisty all the way but about 80/90 miles.. You don't want to blast though.. You want to enjoy the ride.. Lots to see.. Mt Lassen can take some time.. It's kind of a mini Yellowstone.. Crater Lake can take a couple hours if you go all the way around.. The ride out to Grants Pass is twisty and cage traffic can slow you down.. The ride to the coast is great..
Mt Shasta is getting to be like a resort.. A real nice golf course there that brings in lots of people.. It'll be cheaper to stay in Dunsmuir or Weed, just a few miles down the road..
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 12:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodman View Post
Oh ya 300 a day is doable.. It's twisty all the way but about 80/90 miles.. You don't want to blast though.. You want to enjoy the ride.. Lots to see.. Mt Lassen can take some time.. It's kind of a mini Yellowstone.. Crater Lake can take a couple hours if you go all the way around.. The ride out to Grants Pass is twisty and cage traffic can slow you down.. The ride to the coast is great..
Mt Shasta is getting to be like a resort.. A real nice golf course there that brings in lots of people.. It'll be cheaper to stay in Dunsmuir or Weed, just a few miles down the road..
not only the cage traffic, but there are some logging trucks on that road really hauling a$$. True the cars will be more likely to slow down, but lots of trucks there too.

Costa Mesa, CA
2012 Red level 3
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

thanks foodman for the suggestions. I think now I will do it in three days with overnights at Weed and Grants pass. That will give me the third day to go to the coast and enjoy the redwood forest and also give me more time on the second day for Crator lake.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 FE390 Husaberg
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to Gilligan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej55 View Post
thanks foodman for the suggestions. I think now I will do it in three days with overnights at Weed and Grants pass. That will give me the third day to go to the coast and enjoy the redwood forest and also give me more time on the second day for Crator lake.
On Your Calif Map lok for the towns of Hayfork, Peanut, Happy Camp, Red Bluff, Weaverville, Eureka, Hiway 3, Hiway 36, Ave of the Giants ANYTHING In that area is worth your drive across country to expierence just make sure you bring clean underwear for after your ride!

A 3 Hour (2.5 Mile) Tour
Just PassinThru

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
All on a 1984 Yamaha Venture (GW1800 Wannabe)
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 12:00 AM
Seasoned Member

How are you coming into Lake Tahoe and which way are you going when you get to the coast ??
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 07:40 AM
Resident BBQ Expert

I did that area , last september. Most likley my best bike trip ever.

I went along 1 and 101 from la area, north to crescent city to grants pass, crater lake, lake tahoe, east side of yosemite, and over tioga, to sequoia, kings canyon, and barstow and home.

Ave of the giants is nice, the road from crescent city to grants pass through the big trees was also real nice. Crater lake is soemthing else, I never saw that color before, water color that is.

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 08:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodman View Post
<...>Turn at Leggett.. That's the beginning of Coastal Highway 1.. You can ride 1 to San Diego.. That will the most scenic and fun highway you'll ever get to ride...........
...and, IMHO, it really ends at Santa Monica. Anything further south is waaaaay too much traffic to be useful.

● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ● IBA #50030 ●

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2058 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page