Long Distance (SS1000, BBG, etc.) Discussion, Planning, Etc. - Page 17 - GL1800Riders
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #161 of 174 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 06:54 PM
Contributing Member

Long Distance (SS1000, BBG, etc.) Discussion, Planning, Etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
You from Ohio? I know a couple IBA members in Ohio and I'm just a stone throws away and love LD rides.

Dan

Where bouts u from

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bartel55

Last edited by bartel55; 01-01-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 174 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
You from Ohio? I know a couple IBA members in Ohio and I'm just a stone throws away and love LD rides.

Dan

We should go on a few this year starting to plan some trips

bartel55
post #163 of 174 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 07:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartel55 View Post
We should go on a few this year starting to plan some trips

I'll send you a pm shortly so I don't hijack this thread.

Dan

2007 Dark Blue
Traxxion Mega Monty
IBA 54656

post #164 of 174 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 07:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
kwthom, for the rain on your phone, check out these things... http://www.covermatecovers.com/

I got an assorted pack at WalMart. The medium size (green elastic) is great for smartphones. The large is great for me 7" GPS. They're like baby shower caps. Hat tip to board member boot for turning me on to them at Moonshine last year.

I haven't done a cert ride in a while. I was going to bang out a SS1K today and set out early this morning to join the TN/KY crowd at the Cumberland Falls Park RTE, but I wasn't feeling it. I bailed out, did a few hours or carving turns in the dark, and went home.
kwthom likes this.

This is my signature block. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My signature block is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....
post #165 of 174 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 08:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartel55 View Post
Hi all I'm new to the forum and just bout my first gold wing been riding utlras the last 17 years forgive me for my lack of knowledge but these long distance rides interest me but I don't know what they are or how I get involved to do one is the a site I can go to to read about thanks
Here is a link to the Iron Butt Association Forum:

http://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?...za-party.1048/

Lots and lots of questions and answers there about many IBA and long distance riding subjects. You should register on the forum so that you will be permitted to post questions and answers.

There is an annual IBA "Pizza Party" gathering in Jacksonville, Florida every spring. It will be March 16,17 this year.

The IBA will soon open the registration for the Party and if you attend and ride their organized SS1000 on Thursday, you will be presented with your SS1000 certificate during the Friday evening banquet.

gramps

Hoosier Daddy likes this.

Troy, Michigan 2007 Goldwing
IBA 45141
BBG X5
SS2000 Gold

Mile Eater Bronze, Silver, and Gold

Last edited by Grampawinger; 01-02-2017 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Corrected banquet day from Saturday to Friday evening
post #166 of 174 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampawinger View Post
Here is a link to the Iron Butt Association Forum:

http://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?...za-party.1048/

Lots and lots of questions and answers there about many IBA and long distance riding subjects. You should register on the forum so that you will be permitted to post questions and answers.

There is an annual IBA "Pizza Party" gathering in Jacksonville, Florida every spring. It will be March 16,17, and 18th this year.

The IBA will soon open the registration for the Party and if you attend and ride their organized SS1000, you will be presented with your SS1000 certificate during the Saturday evening banquet.

gramps

Thank you for the info will def do that

Grampawinger likes this.

bartel55
post #167 of 174 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 09:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bird View Post
kwthom, for the rain on your phone, check out these things... http://www.covermatecovers.com/

I got an assorted pack at WalMart. The medium size (green elastic) is great for smartphones. The large is great for me 7" GPS. They're like baby shower caps. Hat tip to board member boot for turning me on to them at Moonshine last year.

I haven't done a cert ride in a while. I was going to bang out a SS1K today and set out early this morning to join the TN/KY crowd at the Cumberland Falls Park RTE, but I wasn't feeling it. I bailed out, did a few hours or carving turns in the dark, and went home.

Thanks for the lead on the covermates. Tired of seeing my ziplock bag go flying past my face cause it would get too much air in it and no I didn't have a rubber band. for those who wondered why I didn't have one.

'04 Titanium ABS
Double Darksider
IBA #22990
post #168 of 174 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

I've annotated both of my YouTube videos with time and place to give an idea of where my stops were.

On the west-to-east trek, I hit every stop I planned, but on the 50CC, a big chunk of the first day was totally not on my plan. This was because I think I'd over-hydrated on my rest in Jax.

Water, Gatorade, and juice - it's gotta get out somehow. What kept me somewhat on schedule was being able to use my phone to plan the best opportunities for stops, based on the mileage I'd traveled at that time.

I managed to get back onto my planned stop sequence at the stop in Mt. Belview, TX

● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ● IBA #50030 ●
post #169 of 174 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

It took a bit longer, but four certs will be on the way!

Why to Whynot
SS2000
BBG
50CC

Hey, look - even the .sigpic is updated!!!
Clamper and Grampawinger like this.

● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ● IBA #50030 ●
post #170 of 174 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page