Long Distance (SS1000, BBG, etc.) Discussion, Planning, Etc. - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 174 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 09:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
No I am not. I lurk on the IBA form but that's it. I've subscribed to Iron Butt magazine. Hoping to learn and later become active in the LD riding group. I love the long rides.
Here you go. This is an old fashioned mail list. Read the instructions on how to subscribe. Many of the big dogs of the sport will be found here more so than on the IBA forum. I "recommend" lurking for a period of time before you jump in with any postings. When you do post, if it is a reply make sure you follow the protocol of the list and trim your reply quote, and make sure you adjust your Subject title. Some of the longer term members tend to get bent out of shape when newbies jump in with both feet before getting a feel for what is correct. There is a ton of good info on the list (as well as some battles now and then) and you will also have access to the archives which goes back over 8 years.

http://www.ldriders.com/

Brian & Brenda * IBA 50053 & 50354 * 2002 Goldwing * 2001 Concours * AMA Champion Member

Want to ride a SaddleSore 1000? Read the Archive Of Wisdom * Tour Of Honor Rider * Patriot Guard Rider

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 174 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 09:12 PM

First post on here But this year I did all the north west US and loved all of it except riding in the 100 degrees plus temps but the west is terrific. In all I did about 5500 miles in about 4 weeks. Soon as the winter ends in 2013 I hope to do the south west again but get in the places I missed back in 2010 when I did it then. But this time a was wondering about meeting up with and goldwing groups out in Arizona ot Calfornia any suggestions

post #13 of 174 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
While my personal preference is Alieve I'd like to offer two more suggestions... eat bananas for the potassium (good for the joints) but know that eating too many may lead to constipation, and use a Glucosamine supplement. My joints hurt far less now on long rides since I started this after the Denver IBA meet. Good advice from Marc (Flyguy405)

AH yes, bananas are always on board when I take off. I also take along some TUMS or something like that.

Mike Morrison
2006 GL1800

Prowler #301
IBA# 42214
Long Riders Florida
Motorcycle Tourers Forum

post #14 of 174 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Seasoned Member

There are literally hundreds of things that contribute to being able to safely ride long distances. Here are a few basic pointers to make that first LD ride successful.
1. Choose an efficient route.
2. Use a bike designed for the job.
3. Be well rested.
4. Know and follow the IBA rules.
5. Pick a summer day with good weather and lots of daylight.
6. If you fall off the required pace, you must THINK. You probably picked a poor route....get back to the interstate ASAP.
7. High speeds are usually not your friend on long distance rides. They will only tire you out, suck a lot of fuel and make the ride more dangerous.
8. Stop only for short amounts of time. A 3-4 minute rest stop every hour or so can work wonders.
9. Know your route. Your first LD ride is not the time to experiment.
10. Pain relievers are your friend.

IBA # 8672
Darksider
NDSU Bison Fanatic
post #15 of 174 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Checklist

Here is a link to the IronButt pre-ride checklist that's quite extensive. This may help those who are not sure what to take with them. I don't recommend trying to take everything on the list but, I'm sure you will find a couple of things you didn't think about.

http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/1...echecklist.pdf

Mike Morrison
2006 GL1800

Prowler #301
IBA# 42214
Long Riders Florida
Motorcycle Tourers Forum
post #16 of 174 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Seasoned Member

I carry a bunch of different old fashioned gas cards. BP, Shell, Chevron-Texaco, Exxon-Mobil, etc. I spread out my usage and pay all the bills when I get home from the trip. It may be overkill, but it works and you often get a discount for using the right card at the right station.

I just had too much problems with cards being turned down after being used all day.

Although I do call Amex and let them know all my lodging will be going on the card for the next few weeks and that seems to help...but that's just one use per day.

"SLOWDOG"
07 Goldwing - Comfort/Navi/ABS Dark Blue Metallic
Traxxion "Maximum Monty" with Billet Triple Clamps
My road trip slogan: "I fear the deer."
post #17 of 174 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 03:01 PM
Seasoned Member

For those that are contemplating the 50cc it is a great ride!!!!!! I am going to try hard to do the 100cc if the MTF has it again!!!!!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Words of Wisdom from the John

IB# 15140 World's Toughest Motorcycle riders!!
GWRRA 123392
MTF Tourers Assistant
Riding on a MC Tire!!!
2002 Silver 88,000 + Traded
2005 Silver 144,859 deceased 6/3/09
2009 Silver Born 7/15/09 deceased 10/9/10 - 43,442
2010 Black Born 11/17/10 78,000 +
2013 Tailwind Sold 11/14
post #18 of 174 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwen View Post
For those that are contemplating the 50cc it is a great ride!!!!!! I am going to try hard to do the 100cc if the MTF has it again!!!!!!!
They typically have it every other year, they just had one last March. I'll probably do mine at that time also.

Mike Morrison
2006 GL1800

Prowler #301
IBA# 42214
Long Riders Florida
Motorcycle Tourers Forum
post #19 of 174 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwen View Post
For those that are contemplating the 50cc it is a great ride!!!!
Now, I understand why the ride is done in conjunction with the pizza party in Jacksonville...nothing like any reason for a ride and all of that, but what one thing would you have done differently during that 50cc ride that would have made it easier to accomplish?

Sent from my Android

● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ● IBA #50030 ●
post #20 of 174 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 07:46 PM
Seasoned Member

For the 50CC I headed to SD the night before and got a hotel. Left at 0300 and headed off to San Antonio, Spent about 5 hours in the rack, Then headed to Houston where I had to work for a couple hours. Then back on the road to Jax. Distance is about 2360

Ride took about 44hrs 5 hrs in a hotel and 2 hours at a Denny's outside of Houston and 45 mins in Pensecola for BBQ. So it was basically about 37hrs driving.That was averaging about 64mph. Trip back was a BBG Jax to Van Horne ~1510 miles.

1. Have warm clothes or electrics
2. Have real good lighting.
3. Get to start location early.
4. Google the place where you'll get sand etc if you do that.
5. Plan your gas once into Texas.
6. Use guys on the approvers list for SD and the cops in JAX Beach. If you do the pizza party then you won't need the Cops.
7. Get Baker hand wings. I didn't have them on my first trip . Temps were down to 27 in FL and I had freezing rain in West TX. What a difference they make.
8. Courtesy of MTF and Greg Rice Use this. http://www.mctourer.com/rides/2012/50cc/weather.html

I'll think of more stuff

Marc

08 Titanium
00 ST1100 ABS
IBA # 505 Honored to be a PGR Member
DS# 1425
Ever feel like you've been there and got the T-Shirt? "Per Ardua Ad Astra"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page