Long Distance (SS1000, BBG, etc.) Discussion, Planning, Etc. - GL1800Riders
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 174 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Long Distance (SS1000, BBG, etc.) Discussion, Planning, Etc.

The premise of this thread is to have a place to discuss long distance rides, the planning, tools and preparation needed to be successful from your first SaddleSore 1000, up to the world famous Iron Butt Ride.

I have no issue if this thread goes off the rails of deleting it - keeping on topic is appreciated!

EDIT: A gentle reminder that the premise behind this thread is a specific discussion of Long Distance riding. This term has a specific definition for the purposes of this thread.

Now, a 2000 mile, week long trip is a long ride, no doubt, but if you go "no way, too much!" when reading this...

http://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm

...well, stick around and lurk a bit.

● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ● IBA #50030 ●
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 174 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 10:57 PM
Seasoned Member

SS1000 was (is) fairly easy on the GL. I gave a shot at at BBG 1500 w/o good prior planning and that's a much tougher ride...had to settle for a BB1500 as a consolation prize. For these longer rides it appears that not altering your natural sleep cycle too radically for the start time is a good idea. Also, knowing your body and being able to stay hydrated (very important) along with minimizing your stop times by having consistently efficient fuel stops and having planned ahead of time where you're going to stop. What hurt my 1500BBG attempt was starting off too early after not having a good/ideal nights sleep prior (anxious) to leaving...once night fell and I was into about the 18th hr it started to effect my efficiency and finally at about the 21st hr (and just over 1300 mi) I considered it was going to be a safety problem - I shut it down, got some rest and finished up within the 36hr window (actually finished just over 30 hrs) for a 1500 BB.

Gonna give another shot at a BBG 1500 probably within the next month or so...we'll see if I learned enough from the first attempt to be successful.

Anyway, planning and doing these rides is a helluva lot of fun...my best advice is enjoy the ride - but always err on the side of safety if things start to get hinky and live to ride another day!

Jeff

2008 Black G'Wing
2002 HD FLSTCI
IBA #42075
*SS1000*
*BB1500*

The Four Boxes of Liberty - Soap-> Ballot-> Jury-> Ammo...use in that order

Political Correctness: A doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 174 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 12:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jls1126 View Post
Anyway, planning and doing these rides is a helluva lot of fun...my best advice is enjoy the ride - but always err on the side of safety if things start to get hinky and live to ride another day!
I concur. This is me last weekend during our (wife and I) in-state SS1K for the SPANK Rally and the IBA Memorial 1000. Sent off the paperwork today. This will be my 4th? 5th? SS1K and the wife's second, but only her first certified ride since I've misplaced our documents from our first SS1K.

Got the Rally Pack today for next weekend's Park 'n Ride Rally in Southern Calif. GPX file was whacked so it took me a while to delete the extra locations. Now to start determining my starting location and route for the rally.

But, back to the LD riding. Ken started this due to some comments in the BBQ thread. I'm considering a 50CC on the way to the IBA Pizza Party next spring, and then possibly a SS2K on the way home. Both Ken and Ken brought up the point that it will be hard to ride right past the house if the 50CC was being done east to west and I agree. For me I think it would be easier to ride to San Diego, sleep, and then leave out early the next morning for Jacksonville.

Brian & Brenda * IBA 50053 & 50354 * 2002 Goldwing * 2001 Concours * AMA Champion Member

Want to ride a SaddleSore 1000? Read the Archive Of Wisdom * Tour Of Honor Rider * Patriot Guard Rider

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 174 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 09:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Like many of you I have done several SS1K's, BBG's, BB, and SS2K. But have not done a 50cc as of yet. If you are planning any long distance ride or even just a day trip where your going to be in the sun for several hours, hydration, hydration hydration. I never gave this much thought but I found out very quickly when being on a bike for many hours that you can certainly get exhausted much faster than you think and depending on the temp could pass out while riding.

When planning your ride make sure you know how many miles your bike will go on a tank. When planning your route know where the gas stations are before you start and plan on hitting those. Give yourself a 20 mile buffer in case that station is closed and you need to find another. Never go more that .5 mile from the expressway when fueling, you will kill your time. SS1K's don't have the time constraints that other rides do, for example on a BBG you should plan 10 min stops max (gas, bathroom, grab some more water for your next leg). During a gas stop while the tank is filling I grab 1 ibuprofen each time, that will help later in your ride when your joints start to ache from riding so long.

Do not (if you can help it) pay with cash. The time it take to go into the station and possibly wait a five people in front of you will also kill your time. Before heading out call your credit card company and tell them you will be making several small purchases and to NOT shut off your credit card if they see that activity. I usually put money on a walmart prepaid visa card.

If you're tired STOP. The ride is not that important. There will always be another ride if you take great care during the one your in.

Mike Morrison
2006 GL1800

Prowler #301
IBA# 42214
Long Riders Florida
Motorcycle Tourers Forum
post #5 of 174 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

The thread that Brian is referring to begins to discuss LD riding (and, one of the benefits of such is a ride like the one described in the entire thread...) starting here - linked for reference:

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...=1#post3919914

Last weekend, a member of another forum was kind enough to send me a couple of versions of the spreadsheet he's developed to make the computation tasks to prepare for most of the endurance rides much easier.

As I played around with it (trying to optimize my first BBG...) it just didn't dawn on me how much time can be gathered during 'pit stops' - on the clock, but off the road opportunities.

Needless to state, it's obvious to the reader that these types of stops (8 for a BBG?) can make or break a good timed run in a matter of minutes.

For those who've been successful, what other tricks are there to have successful sub-10-minute stops??

● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ● IBA #50030 ●
post #6 of 174 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNFla View Post
If you are planning any long distance ride or even just a day trip where your going to be in the sun for several hours, hydration, hydration hydration.
For those of us in the arid southwest this is a given. I have a large Butler Cup on the handlebar and a Geigerrig (pressurized hydration bag) strapped to the trunk for the wife.

Quote:
During a gas stop while the tank is filling I grab 1 ibuprofen each time, that will help later in your ride when your joints start to ache from riding so long.
While my personal preference is Alieve I'd like to offer two more suggestions... eat bananas for the potassium (good for the joints) but know that eating too many may lead to constipation, and use a Glucosamine supplement. My joints hurt far less now on long rides since I started this after the Denver IBA meet. Good advice from Marc (Flyguy405).
Edited to add that a back brace works well for me in keeping back pain to a minimum during long rides.

Quote:
Before heading out call your credit card company and tell them you will be making several small purchases and to NOT shut off your credit card if they see that activity.
This is great advice. I can't begin to list the number of ride reports that include the statement "the bank shut down my card after the third fill-up".

Brian & Brenda * IBA 50053 & 50354 * 2002 Goldwing * 2001 Concours * AMA Champion Member

Want to ride a SaddleSore 1000? Read the Archive Of Wisdom * Tour Of Honor Rider * Patriot Guard Rider

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 174 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 11:55 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I've Been Bitten by the IBA Bug!

Wonderful thread. Thanks for starting it. I hope you don't mind a prospective IBA member joining in.

I did my very first SS1000 on 9/29 and mailed in the documents the following Monday. I won't talk about my ride too much until I get my Cert in the mail and become an official IBA member.

I will say this though.....my SS1000 experience gave me a tremendous respect for you BBG guys and other "extreme" riders. I did my ride (1024 total miles) in exactly 17hrs. While riding I thought I was kicking a$$, I stopped about 20min for each gas stop to pee, munch on jerky and drink a bottle of water then I was back on the road. When my ride was done I was patting myself on the back and was just sure I was on BBG pace......NOT!

When I got home I got the calculator out and did a little math. I was not on pace for a BBG. I now realize when I am ready to try a BBG it will take a lot more planning than this ride did. On this ride when my gas gage got close to empty I stopped at the first gas station I came to and so on.

I will read and learn all I can about planning and might try a BBG next year.

Thanks,
Dan

2007 Dark Blue
Traxxion Mega Monty
IBA 54656

post #8 of 174 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
Wonderful thread. Thanks for starting it. I hope you don't mind a prospective IBA member joining in.
No issue at all,in fact, that is the premise behind the thread - welcome!

Quote:
When I got home I got the calculator out and did a little math. I was not on pace for a BBG. I now realize when I am ready to try a BBG it will take a lot more planning than this ride did. On this ride when my gas gage got close to empty I stopped at the first gas station I came to and so on.
My one (and only, so far) SS1000 was done in about 16 hours, 20 minutes; close to that BBG pace, but not close enough.

Considering the last few hours of my ride was dealing with poor weather, I was lucky I pulled it off on the first attempt like that; not really a recommended introduction to LD riding. Reading some posts from elsewhere here on a 50CC attempt that Bubba1 made a few years ago (in December, no less...) was enlightening.

So, my back-of-the-envelope math tells me that fuel and relief stops have to happen in as little time as feasable...like under ten minutes, more like eight minutes per - especially if you're dealing with a stock GL1800 fuel tank situation.

I can really see the benefit of knowing just how far one can go on a tank of fuel comfortably, but for rides like BBG's/50CC's and the like, knowing exactly where a fuel stop is going to be a bigger benefit, I'd think.

One of the things that I'll do in future posts in this thread is post up some of my planning thoughts for a BBG attempt (when? Dunno...won't be 'til 2013 probably...work is getting in the way) the why I'm thinking about what I'm thinking about as I'm doing it.

post #9 of 174 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
I hope you don't mind a prospective IBA member joining in.
Welcome! We were all in your position at one time. Are you familiar with the LD Rider List?

Quote:
When I got home I got the calculator out and did a little math. I was not on pace for a BBG. I now realize when I am ready to try a BBG it will take a lot more planning than this ride did.
Getting out of the midwest and getting into states with higher speed limits will make it a lot easier for you. When I rode mine (paperwork not submitted yet) I went from Phoenix to Las Cruces and then straight north to Hardin MT. It turned out that I was stopping a lot more than I had expected due to the lower gas mileage when the Wing is cranked up to higher speeds. I was also delayed for about 20 minutes in Colorado due to some massive storms.

I did not have a need to sleep (even after the ride) but did stop once in NM for about 20-30 minutes for a burger. In hindsight, I should have just gotten it to go and eaten it while riding.

I did 1632 miles in 23H 55M and as soon as I can find the paperwork (moved twice since then) I'll submit it. A big oversight on my part was that I was cranking through the darkness of Wyoming at 1-3 am. I was passing semi's with the huge cattle guards on the front of the trucks which was my clue that many critters were afoot, but fortunately for me I did not encounter any. The HIDs I had on the Wing really did a good job of lighting up the world around me when I didn't have any oncoming traffic. Lighting, lighting, and more lighting is your friend when doing these sorts of rides.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #10 of 174 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas T View Post
Welcome! We were all in your position at one time. Are you familiar with the LD Rider List?
No I am not. I lurk on the IBA form but that's it. I've subscribed to Iron Butt magazine. Hoping to learn and later become active in the LD riding group. I love the long rides.

Dan

2007 Dark Blue
Traxxion Mega Monty
IBA 54656

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page