Michigan Fall Color ride - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Michigan Fall Color ride

I am going to do a Fall Color ride to Michigan and think this year it should be the best with all the rain that has fallen this year and the Temperatures being lower so the question I have is not how the colors will be in Michigan but rather for Michigan riders to help plan the time to visit? I am thinking about coming up the 4th of Oct. to the 13th, I will be riding from Kansas City area and riding up over Mackinaw Bridge back around Wisconsin. I have a brother who lives in Oscoda, Mich and turns 60 this year so it has a dual purpose but the colors should be good and needs eyes on the ground for reconnaissance. Thanks for any help on this matter..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to fredfirefighter
I live in Tawas, just South of Oscoda. Your time frame seems to be good and I hope you have good travel weather for your color tour. We do have some spectacular colors here in Northern MI. It is a great time to take a tour. Enjoy your ride and if I can help give me a shout. The ride up US 23 to the bridge is a good one. I'll be doing that tomorrow on my way to the Davis rally.

Fred

US Navy 63-69
07 Dark Blue Goldwing
1994 Kwik Kamp camper
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfirefighter View Post
I live in Tawas, just South of Oscoda. Your time frame seems to be good and I hope you have good travel weather for your color tour. We do have some spectacular colors here in Northern MI. It is a great time to take a tour. Enjoy your ride and if I can help give me a shout. The ride up US 23 to the bridge is a good one. I'll be doing that tomorrow on my way to the Davis rally.

Fred
my brother lives in Oscoda and will be coming up there for his 60th on Oct. 6th if it works out. Dad lived in Houghton Lake and was a retired DPAO lieutenant (he passed away about 4 years ago. you can read my story at http://www.tarnishedwings.com/id73.html we did like to ride together back in the late 70's up there and I try and make it up whenever possible.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgroh360 View Post
I am going to do a Fall Color ride to Michigan and think this year it should be the best with all the rain that has fallen this year and the Temperatures being lower so the question I have is not how the colors will be in Michigan but rather for Michigan riders to help plan the time to visit? I am thinking about coming up the 4th of Oct. to the 13th, I will be riding from Kansas City area and riding up over Mackinaw Bridge back around Wisconsin. I have a brother who lives in Oscoda, Mich and turns 60 this year so it has a dual purpose but the colors should be good and needs eyes on the ground for reconnaissance. Thanks for any help on this matter..
Are ya dragin' you new camper or motelling it?
thecruiser

DARKSIDER #317
Tennessee Traveler # 15
Florida Prowler #85

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page

Whenever we safely Ride home we promise God a little something.

(quote attributed to
Tony...........Chicago
2001 Black 1800

http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Sounds like a nice ride.
We live in eastern Wisconsin and like the Munising area in the UP.
Been riding motorcycles and snowmobile up there since 1979

T.A. Jens
The Pizza Man
06 White Goldwing Champion Trike
05 Bunkhouse Camper
06 Breeze Cargo Trailer
Life member of GWRRA

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruiser View Post
Are ya dragin' you new camper or motelling it?
thecruiser
thinking about taking the camper, I would be using it on the way up there and then after I leave my brothers would use it again going up through Mackinaw and back.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Still no reports about the leaves, does it look like an early fall leaf run or normal this year? I know it would be a question that might be hard to answer this early but I thought I would ask
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgroh360 View Post
Still no reports about the leaves, does it look like an early fall leaf run or normal this year? I know it would be a question that might be hard to answer this early but I thought I would ask
Our weather guy says a warm Sept, right up to the end of the month. Who knows but it looks like maybe a late fall. Of course the UP may be different.

Your mileage may vary and batteries are NOT included.

thecruiser

DARKSIDER #317
Tennessee Traveler # 15
Florida Prowler #85

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page

Whenever we safely Ride home we promise God a little something.

(quote attributed to
Tony...........Chicago
2001 Black 1800

http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 03:22 PM
CJS
Seasoned Member

Garage
I was just "Up North" all the way to Brimley (west of Sault Sainte Marie) over the week end and saw no signs of color changes yet. But hey, it's Michigan, anything can happen in the next 3-4 weeks. If you Google Michigan Color Tour you will see several sites that will help you keep track of what is happening where.

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

I will watch that site thanks, I have always found that boots on the ground is this best way to find out what the colors are doing. I will probably be the weekend between the 4th to the 12th right now so here's hoping I can see a little fall color

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page