GL1800Riders Forums banner

Ozarks Road Conditions 2016

5K views 49 replies 13 participants last post by  Monk 
#1 ·
A lot of people plan a trip to the Ozarks this time of year. I wanted to start a thread here to help people plan their routes. The Ozarks of Northern Arkansas and Southern Missouri are the closest twisties for a lot of people in mid-America and a favorite destination.

I rode AR 7 from Russellville to Jasper yesterday, (May 5, 2016). I recommend you avoid AR 7 this summer. It's not terrible, but there are many nice alternative routes you should enjoy. The pavement north of Dover to the Newton county line is not in good shape. There are two new areas where they are widening the road and adding passing lanes. There was one area where there was a Flagler and we had to wait about 5 minutes. The pavement is better in Newton county south of Jasper but there are a few sections with plentiful tar snakes.

AR 74 from Jasper to Ponca was in great shape and lots of fun. Bodley valley is still the prettiest place in Arkansas and should be on every siteseer's list when visiting. I didn't see the Elk heard yesterday but mid-afternoon is not prime viewing time.

AR 16 and 21 are also in great shape south to Clarksville and are a good route to use if you want to avoid the construction on AR 7.

I rode AR 23 (Pig Trail) north of Ozark a few weeks ago and there are tar snakes south of Turner Bend. I'm not talking about a few tar snakes, I mean they are awful. Be careful when the weather warms up.

Both 7 and 23 have been damaged from the record rainfalls the last couple of winters. There are places where the ground has slipped and created bumps in the road.

Don't let me scare you off. There are still plenty of great roads here in the Ozarks.

Everyone else feel free to add your comments about current conditions.

See less See more
#46 ·
I was there couple of weeks ago. The road is in good shape ... don't know about the colors.

However, yesterday I went to Branson in the car and did not see much in the way of color. Even went through the Maplewood cemetery in Harrison. It is still a little early.

#50 ·
Lower part of Highway 123

I did both the upper and lower sections of 123 today. The upper section was great as usual!! :thumbup:

The lower section is better than it was six weeks ago, but it still has a lot of loose gravel. It looks like they dumped a bunch of gravel on the road without putting down any tar? Most of the original gravel is pushed off in piles at the edge of the road.

The gravel is from the Store at Sand Gap to the one lane bridge. From the bridge to Hagerville everything it fine!! :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.