GA to Fairbanks AK - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycledude View Post
PM replied to but hear is a link that talks about our Alaska trips this year.
Alaska Trip
Thank you for the PM reply and for this link. I'm checking it out.
What I need now is information for the ride between Banff and Dawson Creek.

Winger98
USMC Viet Nam Era Vet
1975 Goldwing
1998 Aspencade Goldwing
2008 Goldwing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 03:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger98 View Post
Thank you for the PM reply and for this link. I'm checking it out.
What I need now is information for the ride between Banff and Dawson Creek.
What we did on the first trip was Banff to Jasper to Hinton then Dawson Creek
In January I reserved a room in Jasper because they were offering big discounts on rooms booked before June 15 which is the start of their busy season, Jasper and Whitefish were the only 2 reservations we made and they both turned out great. We had learned on a earlier trip that motels in Jasper are normally very expensive.

ehcycledude@yahoo.com
02 GL1800 yellow 475,000 smiles
Rode my bike to Trailer Week
2013 Yamaha Tenere
post #13 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycledude View Post
What we did on the first trip was Banff to Jasper to Hinton then Dawson Creek
In January I reserved a room in Jasper because they were offering big discounts on rooms booked before June 15 which is the start of their busy season, Jasper and Whitefish were the only 2 reservations we made and they both turned out great. We had learned on a earlier trip that motels in Jasper are normally very expensive.
I appreciate the info.

Winger98
USMC Viet Nam Era Vet
1975 Goldwing
1998 Aspencade Goldwing
2008 Goldwing

post #14 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 11:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Georgia to Fairbanks Trip

Quote:
I am starting to plan a July trip from GA to Fairbanks, AK most likely in July 2017. I am interested in any information anyone may have about routes, road condition, gas, food, and lodging between Banff, AB, CA to Fairbanks.
First of all - there are no promises concerning weather except that you will get to experience some. Best to bring rain gear and hope that you can leave it packed for most of the ride.

Secondly - by the time you turn around and head back south you will probably have come to the conclusion that it's not a difficult trip at all. Many riders find that the hardest thing is to keep your attention on the road and not on the scenery you'll be passing through.

Regarding routing: From Banff/Lake Louise at the south end, the only way to go is up the Icefields Parkway. In Dynobob's trip report he has some outstanding photos of what it looks like from different vantage points, but there is absolutely no way a camera can capture what the eye can behold on that stretch of highway. Despite having traveled that in all seasons many times since my first drive up in '73 it is still the preferred route whenever I'm headed to or from the Midwest or Eastern part of the U.S.

Once you get to Jasper at the north end the short route to Dawson Creek is east to Hinton then north on the Big Horn Hwy (AB40) to Grande Prairie. Then west and north to Dawson Creek. All good highway with a fair amount of traffic - and animals to watch out for. If you opt to take the long way around, it's the Yellowhead Hwy (16) west to Prince George then the Hart Hwy (97) up to Dawson Creek. Again, good highway all the way with some pretty good scenery over to P.G. and again up and over Pine Summit from there to D. C. There's plenty of restaurants and good lodging choices all the way. Depending on your rate of travel, they may be just the right distance to get you from one night to the next, or just from one meal to the next. Plenty of gas stations, but try not to travel too far on the bottom half of your tank. That said, in over fifty years of traveling north of Prince George I've only run out of gas one time... and that was due to darn foolishness on my part.

North out of Dawson Creek you'll probably be surprised at how heavy the traffic is. In July you'll be seeing plenty of other tourists as well as farm and industrial traffic through Fort St John and a little beyond Fort Nelson. But beyond that latter town you start getting into the Alcan that still has a little of the old flavor in that you'll be in more wilderness. Nothing like it was back in the early 60's, but you will definitely know you're not in big city suburbs any more. First will be Steamboat, now tamed and paved so you would never dream how scary it was for drivers who had never driven in mountains before. Later on, Summit Lake at the highest point. Watch for sheep along the side of the highway as you start down the north side. In fact, you'll want to keep an eye (or both eyes) on constant watch for animals... some small but still a hazard to a motorcycle, some big enough to be a problem for a Kenworth tractor with bull bars on the front end.

A few hours before you get to Watson Lake is Liard (LEE ard) Hot Springs, a good place to take a hot soak and loosen up tense muscles. I've soaked up enough heat in the springs there to just stroll slowly back out to the parking lot with a 5įF wind blowing and snow coming down horizontally, then change into dry clothing while standing next to my car. A very worthwhile stop any time, any season.

You will undoubtedly encounter some loose gravel somewhere along the way, as summertime is "road-fixing" time. While the Wing is not known to be designed for such conditions, most riders would be amazed at how well they can handle them... IF the rider does his/her part. Back in the "old days" there were many more lodges, roadhouses, gas stops, etc. than there are today. When it was all gravel travel was generally much slower and flat tires and mechanical problems were much more prevalent.

Nowadays riding the Alcan isn't much different from riding across the continent on secondary highways. With dozens of trips back and forth behind me I generally ride all night long without any more concern than doing the same on interstates down south and average 2 1/2 days from Alaska to the South 48 border. It's just not that much of a rough trip any more.

As roadrunner 1800 recommended, look through Dynobob's thread. He has provided a lot of information gained from his trip this past summer, along with great photos showing conditions all along the route. Again, we can't guarantee the beautiful weather he experienced on his trip.
Barrycuda67 likes this.

Double Darksider #0005
Alaska Photos: http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...-Road-Is-Paved
'03 GL1800 "Dualsport" - Arctic Circle 2x
When my pegs are scratchin, I still got traction!
'02 KLR650 7x Prudhoe Bay veteran (including BB1500)
'94 Concours "Alcan Annie"

Last edited by AKLDRIDER; 12-11-2016 at 11:30 PM.
post #15 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 12:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
I am starting to plan a July trip from GA to Fairbanks, AK most likely in July 2017. I am interested in any information anyone may have about routes, road condition, gas, food, and lodging between Banff, AB, CA to Fairbanks.
Enjoy the trip. I used to Live in Fairbanks. Just moved from Ga to Tennessee in April.
post #16 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Thank you AKLDRIDER. Great information.

Winger98
USMC Viet Nam Era Vet
1975 Goldwing
1998 Aspencade Goldwing
2008 Goldwing
post #17 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James2003x View Post
Enjoy the trip. I used to Live in Fairbanks. Just moved from Ga to Tennessee in April.
Well, you are just up the road a piece from me.

Winger98
USMC Viet Nam Era Vet
1975 Goldwing
1998 Aspencade Goldwing
2008 Goldwing
post #18 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 01:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Well, you are just up the road a piece from me.
Yep, I was in Rocky Face but we moved to Ooltewah Tn.
post #19 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 01:59 AM
Seasoned Member

I've ridden up there twice from Ohio. ....BEAUTIFUL RIDE !

Click on the two Alaska links below in my signature for daily logs including photos, roads taken, weather and lodging.
I posted the logs for just this reason. ...to help others with planning a trip up there. ..

Kurt

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The greatest father-son motorcycle trip ever !
Alaska '14 (click to read)
Alaska '12 (click to read)
Coast to Coast Non-Stop CERTIFIED !
Jacksonville to San Diego

2367 miles..31hours 52min
1860 miles..24 hours
1025 miles..15 hours

IBA #57815
Double Darksider #333
Michelin Alpin/
Battlax BT45
post #20 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGBLK06 View Post
I've ridden up there twice from Ohio. ....BEAUTIFUL RIDE !

Click on the two Alaska links below in my signature for daily logs including photos, roads taken, weather and lodging.
I posted the logs for just this reason. ...to help others with planning a trip up there. ..

Kurt

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Great info. Thank you.
BGBLK06 likes this.

Winger98
USMC Viet Nam Era Vet
1975 Goldwing
1998 Aspencade Goldwing
2008 Goldwing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page