7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 10:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger98 View Post
Great info. Thank you.
You're very welcome.
Enjoy the trip. ....and the planning ! The planning will be a great part of the trip !

Kurt

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The greatest father-son motorcycle trip ever !
Alaska '14 (click to read)
Alaska '12 (click to read)
Coast to Coast Non-Stop CERTIFIED !
Jacksonville to San Diego

2367 miles..31hours 52min
1860 miles..24 hours
1025 miles..15 hours

IBA #57815
Double Darksider #333
Michelin Alpin/
Battlax BT45
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

The planning is always a fun part of the whole trip.
BGBLK06 likes this.

Winger98
USMC Viet Nam Era Vet
1975 Goldwing
1998 Aspencade Goldwing
2008 Goldwing
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 11:29 PM
Seasoned Member

took a slightly different route

when my wife and I rode up there in 2015, so I cannot directly answer that question about the roads around Banff.

Kurt, ALKrider, and others were great references!! They will take the time to answer any questions you may have, so don't be afraid to ask. for my part, I would be more than happy to share with you as well.

When my wife and I went, we planned on camping part time and hotels part time. That worked well for the most part. Camping on the bank of the Yukon River outside of Dawson City was something to remember.

You will find yourself parking in all kinds of terrain. Kurt's idea of a crutch that I slightly modified worked very well. I still carry it today for parking at odd spots. We carried fuel, about 3.5 gallons. Ended up not needing it, but did have the fuel light come on once. would have been necessary if we felt we had the time to take the Dempster highway as we came off the Top of the World. It all depends on where you want to go. I am more inclined to perhaps pack a bit too much in tools and supplies, as I have been broke down, and do not like that.

the one thing that suprised us for summer travel, it was colder in July than we expected. We had good gear for down to 40 degrees. Ended up wearing more layers than planned....not the end of the world, but does limit movement somewhat. Should have brought the cold weather sleeping bags. Won;t make that mistake again.

there is so much to see and do it is hard to fit it all into one trip. That is why Cyndee and I are planning a return trip in 2019 or 2020....depends on how retirement planning works out for us.

Ask questions, and prepare for a great ride
bryon

post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 01:52 PM
Seasoned Member

We've done the Alaska trip three times and did the ferry twice from Prince Rupert to Skagway. Our favorite route was the second, which took us from Glacier, via Baanf, to Lake Louise, Prince George and then across to P.R. We rode the inside passage with an overnight and an extra day in Juneau. When we went on the ferry the second time, we did exactly the same trip except the second time we got a berth instead of tenting on the deck. (The second time was better, but more money.) It is an adventure sleeping on the deck, and we had a blast both times! It was a welcome break to put the bike away for a couple days and enjoy watching the whales, eagles, seals, beavers, bears, poppins and people. It is a once in a lifetime trip, and the only one where we both decided to stop worrying about money and get after the bucket list trip we had worked so hard for.

We took our own tie downs. Mine (2)get stored inside the fairing, under the glovebox (just pop the four reusable rivets) and slide them in on top the radiators and in front of the box opening. Mine are wrapped in a towel inside a heavy baggie and have ridden there for five years. (I will probably get flamed for that) But I always have my own in case of emergency. If you ride the bike onto the ferry in the rain, watch for oil spots on the deck as they are VERY slick when wet. (don't ask about this!)

Be happy to answer any more questions. Get a Milepost. It has all the info on motels, gas and ferry schedules in it.

Go for it!

Steve and Mel... over 25 great years together, 42 in all
Darksider #433
Michelin Alpin
Battleax BT45's (over a dozen and counting)
Started really ignorant, getting smarter for over sixty years... long way to go.[/I]
[/CENTER]

Last edited by revrunt; 12-17-2016 at 01:55 PM.
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrunt View Post
We've done the Alaska trip three times and did the ferry twice from Prince Rupert to Skagway. Our favorite route was the second, which took us from Glacier, via Baanf, to Lake Louise, Prince George and then across to P.R. We rode the inside passage with an overnight and an extra day in Juneau. When we went on the ferry the second time, we did exactly the same trip except the second time we got a berth instead of tenting on the deck. (The second time was better, but more money.) It is an adventure sleeping on the deck, and we had a blast both times! It was a welcome break to put the bike away for a couple days and enjoy watching the whales, eagles, seals, beavers, bears, poppins and people. It is a once in a lifetime trip, and the only one where we both decided to stop worrying about money and get after the bucket list trip we had worked so hard for.

We took our own tie downs. Mine (2)get stored inside the fairing, under the glovebox (just pop the four reusable rivets) and slide them in on top the radiators and in front of the box opening. Mine are wrapped in a towel inside a heavy baggie and have ridden there for five years. (I will probably get flamed for that) But I always have my own in case of emergency. If you ride the bike onto the ferry in the rain, watch for oil spots on the deck as they are VERY slick when wet. (don't ask about this!)

Be happy to answer any more questions. Get a Milepost. It has all the info on motels, gas and ferry schedules in it.

Go for it!
Hadn't thought about tie downs. Guess I will have to be prepared for that. I know all about oil spots in the wet but thanks for the tip. Since I am planning this for July, I am waiting for the 2017 edition of the Milepost. I believe this is going to be a men only trip. So far none of the women want to ride that far.

All the information is great and I am thankful for it. Keep it coming.

Winger98
USMC Viet Nam Era Vet
1975 Goldwing
1998 Aspencade Goldwing
2008 Goldwing
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 07:53 PM
Seasoned Member

this is where you will find "Kurt's Crutch" of significant value!!
I carried 4 soft ties and 4 one inch ratchet tie downs for the ferry
I always put the crutch under the engine guard on the passenger side
never had a problem

I carried mine in our trailer, but they are not bulky, and would have easily carried in one of the saddlebags
bryon
BGBLK06 likes this.
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 09:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerbk View Post
this is where you will find "Kurt's Crutch" of significant value!!
I carried 4 soft ties and 4 one inch ratchet tie downs for the ferry
I always put the crutch under the engine guard on the passenger side
never had a problem

I carried mine in our trailer, but they are not bulky, and would have easily carried in one of the saddlebags
bryon
Agreed
My crutch never leaves the right saddle bag now. I use it at hotels even if I'm pretty sure it won't be needed.
The bike is absolutely rock solid with the crutch under the engine guard.
It's piece of mind for me...

Kurt

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The greatest father-son motorcycle trip ever !
Alaska '14 (click to read)
Alaska '12 (click to read)
Coast to Coast Non-Stop CERTIFIED !
Jacksonville to San Diego

2367 miles..31hours 52min
1860 miles..24 hours
1025 miles..15 hours

IBA #57815
Double Darksider #333
Michelin Alpin/
Battlax BT45

Last edited by BGBLK06; 12-21-2016 at 09:11 AM.
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 10:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Kurt's modified crutch

Attached are a couple of pix of how I modified Kurt's crutch...I took a regular adjustable aluminum crutch I had and cut it off about an inch above the adjustable part. I got two rubber feet for 1/2 tubes and put them on the top of the cut aluminum so there would not be any rubbing/scratching. I had to put a small bend in one section to get a fit I was happy with on the engine guard. the ability to change length to fit is handy. I used a U-clamp on the bottom as I did not want to just trust the rivets on the original crutch.

As Kurt said, with this and the ratchet straps, you are rock solid on the ferrys, and you have some added support/peace of mind on some of the odd angles you will get to park on

not sure what some of the yellow/rusty specs are in the one picture, just took a pix on top of my luggage rack.
if you need measurements/dimensions, let me know
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motorcycle crutch engine.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	323.2 KB
ID:	163873   Click image for larger version

Name:	motorcycle crutch.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	315.9 KB
ID:	163881  
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 10:30 PM
Seasoned Member

should have noted...in the pix on the engine guard, I just set that there for the picture tonight. when 'seated' the engine guard is on top of the plastic cap, and you don't see the gap.
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 07:08 AM
Seasoned Member

1. Be prepared for long periods of cold and rain and be thankful if it isn't.
2. Watson Lake has the Signpost Forest so it's tempting to stay there. Don't!
3. Definitely the Icefields Parkway but be warned that Banff is an overcrowded tourist trap.
4. I really like the Cassiar Highway.
5. I really like the road to Skagway.
6. Go to Hyder.
7. Go to the Salty Dawg.
8. Calgary and Edmonton have their traffic issues.
9. Due to long daylight hours in the north, it's possible to over-ride at times.
10. If you see a bear, moose or whatever, take a picture because it might be the only one you see.
11. Everybody will say to plan extra time. They are right.

IBA # 8672
Darksider
NDSU Bison Fanatic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page