GA to Fairbanks AK - Page 8 - GL1800Riders
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 95 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captron View Post
A few years ago my wife and I flew to Alaska and rented a bike and tour'd the area (this way we we were refreshed right from the beginning of our trip, and not all tired out from riding many miles, just to get there, and had to remember that after the "tour vacation" we didn't have the long ride back as well..
YOUR GOING TO HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME!
Alaska was very clean, littering is a major NO NO...
You got to ride the Danalli (spelling) Trail........ very beautiful!

I can't remember having any "gas getting" problems, but maybe carry a small amount of fuel with you in a leak proof container may be an idea.....( just thinking)

last winter I flew there again BUT just snow skied the whole week, didn't do any driving that week..

YOUR GOING TO HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME! Oops did I just repeat myself??

have a wonderful time, ENJOY!

Ronnie
I believe the ride there and back will be at least half the fun. If you have a limited time, I can see flying in and renting a bike, but I'm retired and so are most of the riders with me. We enjoy the ride. We plan to have a wonderful time.
BGBLK06 likes this.

Winger98
USMC Viet Nam Era Vet
1975 Goldwing
1998 Aspencade Goldwing
2008 Goldwing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Cool

I have a plan. The first stop is Veedersburg, IN to meet two other riders. Second stop is Missouri Valley, IA picking up another rider in Peoria, IL. Third stop is Spearfish, SD. Fourth stop Missoula, MT. Fifth stop Glacier National Park for the day. Sixth stop Jasper Alberta Canada. Seventh stop Smithers, BC, CA. Stop eight Dease Lake, BC, CA with a side trip to Hyder, AK. Stop nine is Skagway, AK. Tenth stop is Haines, AK. Stop eleven Beaver Creek, YT, CA. Stop twelve is Anchorage, AK. Anybody have a recommendation for a place to stay in Anchorage? Stop thirteen is Homer, AK with visits to Whittier and Seward on the way. Stop fourteen is Palmer, AK. Stop fifteen is Tok, AK by way of Fairbanks. Stop sixteen is Whitehorse, YT, CA. Stop seventeen is Muncho Lake with a stop at Liard Hot Springs Provincial Park. Stop eighteen is Dawson Creek, BC CA. Stop nineteen is Lloydminster, AB, CA. Stop twenty is Minot, ND. Stop twenty one is Jackson, MN. Stop twenty two is Red Bud, IL. Last stop is Ball Ground, GA (home).

Any suggestions about things to do, places to see, places to eat, or places to stay will be greatly appreciated.

Winger98
USMC Viet Nam Era Vet
1975 Goldwing
1998 Aspencade Goldwing
2008 Goldwing
post #73 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 11:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Last year on the way north we stayed at a bed and breakfast type place in Fairbanks, the price was very reasonable $60 and it included a garage to park the bikes inside, but my bed was awful ! on the way back my buddy wanted to stay there again but because of my lousy bed I said no, so we wound up paying $120 for a motel.

ehcycledude@yahoo.com
02 GL1800 yellow 475,000 smiles
Rode my bike to Trailer Week
2013 Yamaha Tenere

post #74 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 02:32 PM
Seasoned Member

I stayed here in Anchorage http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search...states.travel/. Nice place. Eat at Moose tooth and Glacier brew house. If you like microbreweries, these are the places we liked. Great food and beer.
post #75 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 10:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Went there in '07. Rode 1250 miles on last day. Trip of a lifetime.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

2001 GL1800 Illusion Red

Time's fun when your having flies!
"Summer's lease hath all too short a date"--Bill
post #76 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeswinginit View Post
I stayed here in Anchorage http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search...states.travel/. Nice place. Eat at Moose tooth and Glacier brew house. If you like microbreweries, these are the places we liked. Great food and beer.
Thank you. I will check these out.

Winger98
USMC Viet Nam Era Vet
1975 Goldwing
1998 Aspencade Goldwing
2008 Goldwing
post #77 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Traveled up last summer and had a great time. If I had it to do over again probably wouldn't change anything except (just my opinion) for riding up to Fairbanks. As I chose not to venture up to the Arctic Circle I found that making the loop from Tok to Fairbanks to Anchorage was a waste of time. If you have limited time in Alaska, my recommendation would be to spend it south of the Glenn Allen Highway. That includes of course the highway itself, Homer, Skagway, Whittier, Valdez, Haines and/or Skagway. Denali was ok, but anything beyond 15 miles into the park is by a shuttle bus or tour bus. And other than Mt McKinley (if it's visible), you'll see very little that compares with the sites you've already encountered. IMO, Denali is an adventure that requires hiking into the back country. Did have a decent campground though.

I took the ferry from Haines to PR and very glad I did (once in a lifetime trip). However, unlike past years (unless it changed from last year), they've reduced the fleet which means you really can't get off, say in Juneau, spend a day, and catch the next ferry tomorrow, there isn't one for a few days. And layovers are typically too short to get off and visit the towns. Once you're onboard your likely to be so till the end. But even so, you won't regret it. BTW, food is pretty good on the ship, and believe it or not, some of the cheapest I found in Alaska.

You've gotten plenty of advice on roads and such so I won't go there. But as some have mentioned, rain is likely, and chilly weather is possible so be prepared for both, as cold and wet just sucks.

As I said, I went up last June so if you have any specific questions feel free to a PM.
post #78 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:20 PM
Seasoned Member

At Ft. Nelson, just as you are leaving town is a museum of old cars and especially a hugh engine, sit kinda in the back, have to climb a ladder to get to top of it, really great if you like that kind of things.
Plow boy likes this.
post #79 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

I appreciate the comments. I will rethink the Fairbanks part of the trip as it is a drive through anyway.

Winger98
USMC Viet Nam Era Vet
1975 Goldwing
1998 Aspencade Goldwing
2008 Goldwing
post #80 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:32 PM
DFG
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger98 View Post
I appreciate the comments. I will rethink the Fairbanks part of the trip as it is a drive through anyway.
I was up there last year. About the only "boring" part was the bit between Tok and Fairbanks (but that's only in comparison to the other outstanding scenery). It's nice from Palmer up to Denali, though. And I took one day off riding at Denali and took the day-long bus shuttle about 90 miles in and back. That was one of the highlights of the trip. I lucked out and got a perfectly clear day, though. If you're not planning to do that, I can see skipping the big circle to Fairbanks. Couple pics of Denali below.

If you're cutting that part out, consider adding in going to Dawson City via the Top of the World Highway - but only if it's been dry for a day or two. I made it there from Valdez in a day no problem. The gravel bits were no worse than some of the road construction places I had gone through. But I hear it can be a mess if it's wet. Not a bad ride down from Dawson to Whitehorse, although not on a par with some of the other views up that way. Pic of the winding road below.

Also consider going down to Valdez if you free up a day. I stayed at a nice campsite about 15 miles north of town. Pics below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0915.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	197953   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0916.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	197961   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0941.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	197969   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0932.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	920.8 KB
ID:	197977   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0936.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	197985  

roadrunner1800 likes this.

Doug in North Vancouver
2006 White GL1800

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page