GA to Fairbanks AK - GL1800Riders
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Red face GA to Fairbanks AK

I am starting to plan a July trip from GA to Fairbanks, AK most likely in July 2017. I am interested in any information anyone may have about routes, road condition, gas, food, and lodging between Banff, AB, CA to Fairbanks.
dale84730 and James2003x like this.

Winger98
USMC Viet Nam Era Vet
1975 Goldwing
1998 Aspencade Goldwing
2008 Goldwing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 05:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger98 View Post
I am starting to plan a July trip from GA to Fairbanks, AK most likely in July 2017. I am interested in any information anyone may have about routes, road condition, gas, food, and lodging between Banff, AB, CA to Fairbanks.
Send a PM to Cycledude and Bikerv2. They have made Alaska trips and will be able to help you out.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 06:31 PM
Curious Member

"Milepost" get the latest edition.

Vive le Canada
The True North Strong and Free

LIMNCS # 2001

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldom Home View Post
"Milepost" get the latest edition.
Waiting for the 2017 edition.

Winger98
USMC Viet Nam Era Vet
1975 Goldwing
1998 Aspencade Goldwing
2008 Goldwing
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murf View Post
Send a PM to Cycledude and Bikerv2. They have made Alaska trips and will be able to help you out.
Thank you.

Winger98
USMC Viet Nam Era Vet
1975 Goldwing
1998 Aspencade Goldwing
2008 Goldwing
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 10:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Here are two links to ride reports/ photo blogs on ADVrider posted by a DYNOBOB, member of this forum. Check them out... they are chock full of info and great photos.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/7-rides-trips-events/322921-alaska-2016-pictures-wing-ram-hawk-husky.html#post3986841

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/two-bobs-and-friends-northern-rockies-2013.947936/

These are best viewed on full screen monitor....not any smart phone screen.

Allen
j1000 likes this.

Michelin PA3 ZP Runflat 17,100 miles
Yokohama Avid ENVigor

Last edited by roadrunner1800; 12-10-2016 at 10:43 PM.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner1800 View Post
Here are two links to ride reports/ photo blogs on ADVrider posted by a DYNOBOB, member of this forum. Check them out... they are chock full of info and great photos.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/7-rides-trips-events/322921-alaska-2016-pictures-wing-ram-hawk-husky.html#post3986841

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/two-bobs-and-friends-northern-rockies-2013.947936/

These are best viewed on full screen monitor....not any smart phone screen.

Allen
Thank you.

Winger98
USMC Viet Nam Era Vet
1975 Goldwing
1998 Aspencade Goldwing
2008 Goldwing
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 12:13 AM
Seasoned Member

My wife and I toured Yukon/Alaska in late July 2015. As I am a mechanic in the transport industry I had the opportunity to quiz drivers (who have actually been there) about the same question you are asking. Their answers were basically consistent.

- Fuel is not a problem. ( There was nothing that was outside of the wings fuel range. Come to think about it, we have had more concerning fuel issues in central Washington and parts of Alberta and...)

-Motels are not a problem in the summer but in winter they can be dicey. (We found a motel that was full with a work crew so we went to the other motel and it was empty.)

- the motels are fine, unless your wife needs a 5 star, in witch case its a **** of a drive from grand prairie to fairbanks. ( My wife's only demand is that the room be clean. It can be worn, old, thread bare and rustic as long as it is *Clean*. She had no issue with any place we stayed including the work camp on the haul road.)

- There is construction, There, just...is. ( that statement made more sense after seeing it in person. The construction can be 20 meters or 40+ Km long. Although a reasonable good road, you do want to be able to handle non paved construction. The pavement can have frost heaves that you also need to pay attention to.)

It was a great trip and well worth doing. My wife would like to go back and carry on from where we left off.

- Liard hot springs, ya gotta stop at Liard hot springs. (yes, you do)
Seldom Home likes this.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 03:40 AM
Seasoned Member

PM replied to but hear is a link that talks about our Alaska trips this year.
Alaska Trip

ehcycledude@yahoo.com
02 GL1800 yellow 465,000 smiles
Rode my bike to Trailer Week
2013 Yamaha Tenere
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusionalmechanic View Post
My wife and I toured Yukon/Alaska in late July 2015. As I am a mechanic in the transport industry I had the opportunity to quiz drivers (who have actually been there) about the same question you are asking. Their answers were basically consistent.

- Fuel is not a problem. ( There was nothing that was outside of the wings fuel range. Come to think about it, we have had more concerning fuel issues in central Washington and parts of Alberta and...)

-Motels are not a problem in the summer but in winter they can be dicey. (We found a motel that was full with a work crew so we went to the other motel and it was empty.)

- the motels are fine, unless your wife needs a 5 star, in witch case its a **** of a drive from grand prairie to fairbanks. ( My wife's only demand is that the room be clean. It can be worn, old, thread bare and rustic as long as it is *Clean*. She had no issue with any place we stayed including the work camp on the haul road.)

- There is construction, There, just...is. ( that statement made more sense after seeing it in person. The construction can be 20 meters or 40+ Km long. Although a reasonable good road, you do want to be able to handle non paved construction. The pavement can have frost heaves that you also need to pay attention to.)

It was a great trip and well worth doing. My wife would like to go back and carry on from where we left off.

- Liard hot springs, ya gotta stop at Liard hot springs. (yes, you do)
Planning a stop at Liard hot springs. I see there are other hot springs that might figure in our travels.

Winger98
USMC Viet Nam Era Vet
1975 Goldwing
1998 Aspencade Goldwing
2008 Goldwing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page