Return Ride From Wing Ding to Vancouver, B.C. - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
Return Ride From Wing Ding to Vancouver, B.C.

Hi Folks, Our drill team is going to Grapevine, TX. for Wing Ding this coming year and afterwards
I'm flying the Mrs. down from Vancouver to DFW so she can ride home with me. I have to ride to
Flagstaff, Arizona for September 4th to meet another couple who we will be riding back with us to Vancouver, B.C. so only have 5 days to get home from Flagstaff. Here is the route I was thinking of, Flagstaff on Interstate 40 to State 93 passed Las Vagas to State 95 to Tonopah, then continue to Fallon, then west on Interstate 80 passed Reno to State 395 all the way to Riley OR. Turn east on State 20 pass Burns then continue north on State 395 all the way to Pendleton, OR. From there pass Kennewick, WA. then pass Yakima, WA. then up to Leavenworth, WA. and finally taking State 2 passed Everett, WA. all the way home. Any suggestions or better routes, areas to avoid, keeping in mind we would like to stay off super slabs and a least enjoy the ride home. Fuel and motel availability would be helpful, suggestions etc.

Thanks for everyones input, if any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 03:59 PM
Seasoned Member

You have a zillion options ..... if it's all new to you, you can't go wrong..... this summer I just made a huge loop similar in an RV and returned down through the Rocky Mountain states to Az. ..... state 95 out of vegas is desolate and boring until you start approaching Reno..... my least favorite drive of my 40 day trip. I prefer the Rocky Mountain stuff over the west coast..... if it were me I would ride the Rocky Mountains and start thinking about heading west near Yellowstone. ..... just stay off the interstates in my opinion. Utah is spectacular country.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 04:51 PM
DFG
Seasoned Member

I've been down that way quite a few times. I highly, highly recommend not going over to Las Vegas and up through Nevada, and instead meandering up through Utah and Yellowstone. Nevada can be interesting if you've never seen it, but we're talking about a lot of very long stretches of not much except rocks and sand.

Don't know how long you want your days, but if it were me, I'd go from Flagstaff up to Moab, then up to Dinosaur Colorado and then up through Rock Springs to Yellowstone. From there, either up to Glacier and across Washington on Hwy 20, or even up to Canada and across on Hwy 3. Alternatively, from Yellowstone, meander over to Lewiston and then up through Washington on the 195/27 and then across on the 2 or the 20. Even if the distance and timing mean you have to freeway it home from Yellowstone, I think the earlier part of the route is worth it.

Alternatively, consider starting up through Page and then up the 89 and then perhaps on the 80 past the Bonneville Salt Flats - but more freeway that way.

Happy to get more specific if you've got questions.

(And thanks for steering me to Carter Motorsports for the brake recall some time ago - they done good.)

Doug in North Vancouver
2006 White GL1800

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 05:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
It is going to be VERY warm. My suggestion? Altitude will be your best friend.

Current Bikes:
* 2013 Honda Goldwing Air Bag
* 1971 Triumph Bonneville
* 2007 Kawasaki KLR650
* 2015 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page