Ozark Road Conditions 2017 - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 05:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniejoe View Post
I'm sitting here in the Oark Cafe where I just finished a big ol piece of apple crumble pie with ice cream. It was still warm! Wasn't fit to eat.
I rode up the Pig Trail (AR 23) from I 40 to the overlook north of Cass. The section with the worst tar snakes south of Turner Bend is just as bad as ever. They resurfaced the road south of Rock Creek and stopped before the bad tar snake area. The best part of the Pig Trail is still between Brashears and Cass. Take AR 215 east from Cass to Oark and eat some of this nasty pie.

The secret is out about the Oark Cafe. I'm here at 3:00 on a Friday and there were only two tables available. There's 6 people working in here and they are busy. That's pretty good for a place so far out in the boondocks.

When you leave Oark go south to Clarksville or west to Cass. Don't try to go east unless you can handle a few miles of gravel and washboard switchbacks up a mountain.
Your not kidding about the secret is out; we were there for Bikes Blues and BBQ back in September on a Friday afternoon about 3PM and the wait was 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

Thanks for the update I guess.....sure could use some pie!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oark General Store.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	175913  
Donnieontheroad likes this.

Last edited by bingle50; 02-17-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the update donniejoe. It sure is disappointing to hear about those tar snakes on the southern part of highway 23.

So far the only bad road sections in the Ozarks is that section of 23, the gravel on the lower part of highway 123 and some construction on highway 7 between Dover and Pelsor.

Bet that pie was GOOD!!

The word is out about that place. The days when we could go in and find the place mostly empty are few. They are almost always real busy.
Donnieontheroad likes this.

Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014
Pirelli SnowControl Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
Pirelli Cinturato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 44 PSI
Traxxion by Paul Bihm - Midwest Custom Cycle Work
Darkside #623 - 190,000 Darkside Miles and Counting
IBA # 42128

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Here's a sample for your eyes to tide you over. It was warm apple crumb with ice cream.

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 09:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Rode another 250 miles today. I rode 71 between Alma and Fayetteville. It's been a few years and I've forgotten how good it is. I really enjoyed it. I also made the loop off of I49 to Devil's Den state park. The road with the hairpins down into the park from Winslow is needing some new surfacing but it's not that bad. It's a nice twisty route and not a bad place to camp.

The weather was nice for February and I had a great time.
Monk likes this.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 10:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Ya'll riding tomorrow? Gonna be chilly, but I've got to head back for Nebraska regardless. Staying in Morrilton Days Inn tonight. Gonna ride the Pig trail up to Eureka springs then head on home... If you're out and about, watch for an old beat up, worn out, limping along, ugly yellow bike and wave if you see it!

Steve and Mel... over 25 great years together, 42 in all
Darksider #433
Michelin Alpin
Battleax BT45's (over a dozen and counting)
Started really ignorant, getting smarter for over sixty years... long way to go.[/I]
[/CENTER]
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrunt View Post
Ya'll riding tomorrow? Gonna be chilly, but I've got to head back for Nebraska regardless. Staying in Morrilton Days Inn tonight. Gonna ride the Pig trail up to Eureka springs then head on home... If you're out and about, watch for an old beat up, worn out, limping along, ugly yellow bike and wave if you see it!
Welcome to Morrilton.

The grandchildren are visiting today, or I would visit with you for a few minutes. Hope you enjoy your ride home!

Red - 2014
IBA # 42128

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 06:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniejoe View Post
Rode another 250 miles today. I rode 71 between Alma and Fayetteville. It's been a few years and I've forgotten how good it is. I really enjoyed it. I also made the loop off of I49 to Devil's Den state park. The road with the hairpins down into the park from Winslow is needing some new surfacing but it's not that bad. It's a nice twisty route and not a bad place to camp.

The weather was nice for February and I had a great time.
Is Brown's Catfish in Russellville still open? My buddy lived in Clarksville and I rode back there 9 yrs. in a row to spend my 3 weeks vacation with him. Always made a point to go to Brown's for the buffet. Been to the Oark Cafe a time or two also and my ex-brother-in-law has lived in Ozark for 40+ yrs. Loved it back there.

Paul... Vietnam Vet, 65/66/67, We're not here for a long time, just a good time!, '04 Durango Red 55,500 smiles, '01 Illusion Red, 167,500 smiles-Sold 01/27/2011, Kwik Kamp Trailer, Patriot Guard Rider,
Central CA.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 03:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAWing View Post
Is Brown's Catfish in Russellville still open? My buddy lived in Clarksville and I rode back there 9 yrs. in a row to spend my 3 weeks vacation with him. Always made a point to go to Brown's for the buffet.
Brown's Catfish is still going strong and doing well. They still have those cinnamin rolls too.
CAWing likes this.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 11:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Made a 360 mile circle today, including Push Mountain Road. Here's the track:

I spent some time around Batesville because I lived there back in the 60's and early 70's and I wanted to see how things had changed.
Highway 14 is a great road that doesn't get much press. Starting at Locust Grove and going west it is really good. There are a few sections that could use resurfacing but overall it's fine. The ride from the intersection north of Mountain View to the town named Fifty Six is the best. Push Mountain Road intersects 14 between Fifty Six and Big Flat. I haven't been on it in a year and that's too long. It is so sweet. I ran it from the south to where the road drops off the mountain, that's the best part. I turned around and went back. It's a different ride in each direction. It was about 2 in the afternoon and I met two pickup trucks in the 30 or so miles I rode on it. You can really have fun on those long sweepers.
Highway 27 from Harriet to Marshall is nice too. If I would have had more time I would have ridden it all the way back to Russellville. There are a lot of good roads to and from this area. Any visit to the Ozarks from out of state should include them.
If you get a chance, ride Highway 14 and Push Mountain Road. You won't regret it.
Monk likes this.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Looks like a great ride donniejoe! But then just about any ride that includes Push Mountain has to be great!

Sure hoping this mess of weather we are getting doesn't cause us any problems in the Ozarks. Seems like when there is a little threat of snow they go nuts with the sand stuff on the roads.

Red - 2014
IBA # 42128

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page