Ozark Road Conditions 2017 - Page 3 - GL1800Riders
 63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 11:11 AM
Seasoned Member

I've ridden Push Mtn road twice, years ago and a few years between even. And the first time I was on my GL1500 so that almost doesn't count. I have enjoyed a lot of other roads there for sure and the time I was there on the 15, I kept riding west the morning I had to get going for home because the roads were just so good up there in the north west area of the state. Ended up being more than 800 miles home that day but I didn't regret a thing. I guess since I rode Push Mtn the same direction both times I need to get back there and ride it each direction again. I do love the roads in western NC and eastern TN and that's closer for me as well. What to do?
Monk likes this.

Darkside #69

Ironbutt #8045

A lot of my money has gone towards riding curvy roads with friends. The rest I just wasted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidray View Post
I've ridden Push Mtn road twice, years ago and a few years between even. And the first time I was on my GL1500 so that almost doesn't count. I have enjoyed a lot of other roads there for sure and the time I was there on the 15, I kept riding west the morning I had to get going for home because the roads were just so good up there in the north west area of the state. Ended up being more than 800 miles home that day but I didn't regret a thing. I guess since I rode Push Mtn the same direction both times I need to get back there and ride it each direction again. I do love the roads in western NC and eastern TN and that's closer for me as well. What to do?
I know, decisions, decisions?

I don't really mean this the way it sounds, but when you get retired you can do it all! well, maybe a little ...

I have plans to attend the Spring Darkside Ride In. There are some great roads in that area as well.

But, one thing we have in Arkansas. A guy can get out on one of our very good rural twisty roads and not see another vehicle for miles. Or like donniejoe stated, you might see a pickup truck or two. In my book, that is the ticket!!
Rapidray likes this.

Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014
Pirelli SnowControl Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
Pirelli Cinturato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 40 PSI
Mega Monty Traxxion - Service by Fred Harmon
Darkside #623 - 200,000 Darkside Miles and Counting
IBA # 42128

post #23 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 11:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Vaguely remember it that way too. It's just that it's a bunch farther and the closer roads are too good not to repeat and repeat also. But yes, I am looking forward to retirement and riding every good road in AR for sure.
Donnieontheroad and Monk like this.

Darkside #69

Ironbutt #8045

A lot of my money has gone towards riding curvy roads with friends. The rest I just wasted.

post #24 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:16 AM
Seasoned Member

I ran up 7 and 123 to Mt. Judea yesterday. There wasn't a cloud in the sky and the temps were in the 70's. I then ran 74 to Jasper, then 7 south back to Russellville. The roads were all good and ready to ride. There is one construction zone still active, near Pelsor. It will be completed in 60 days I'd guess. No reason to avoid 7 now.

The blackberry cobbler and ice cream is still good at the Cliff House.
Monk likes this.
post #25 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniejoe View Post
I ran up 7 and 123 to Mt. Judea yesterday. There wasn't a cloud in the sky and the temps were in the 70's. I then ran 74 to Jasper, then 7 south back to Russellville. The roads were all good and ready to ride. There is one construction zone still active, near Pelsor. It will be completed in 60 days I'd guess. No reason to avoid 7 now.

The blackberry cobbler and ice cream is still good at the Cliff House.
Thank you!!! been wondering if they did a bunch of road treatment after our last little bit of snow. Sounds like not!!

Looks like I may run up that way tomorrow. Right now my plan is to run highway 21, 43 up to Harrison, then 7, 74 and 123 back. Will report back here on what I see.

Hopefully, more good road conditions.

Trying to decide if I want to try the lower part of 123 to find out if it is any better?
Donnieontheroad likes this.

Red - 2014
IBA # 42128

post #26 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

I was through those areas about a month ago. It was great no matter which way you turn. There is some construction on Hwy 7 in several locations to widen and resurface. Dealing with the road snakes is just a way of life. Just know what they are when you see them and before you commit to a path through them.
post #27 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:41 PM
Seasoned Member

My wife and I made it to Oark for lunch and a piece of peanut �� butter pie and then ate blackened snapper at the Cliff House yesterday (Saturday). Had another great quick NW Arkansas trip.
donniejoe likes this.

2012 Level 2
Michelin ZP rear tire
Centramatics, Traxxion AK20s and Triple Tree WindBender w/rake
Hannigan GL Trailer
2016 Rollahome Camper
post #28 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
Thank you!!! been wondering if they did a bunch of road treatment after our last little bit of snow. Sounds like not!!

Looks like I may run up that way tomorrow. Right now my plan is to run highway 21, 43 up to Harrison, then 7, 74 and 123 back. Will report back here on what I see.

Hopefully, more good road conditions.

Trying to decide if I want to try the lower part of 123 to find out if it is any better?
16 between Brashears and Deer is great. 21 North from Clarksville to 16 is good too. I'd like to know about 123 between Lamar and Pelsor. Just looking from 7 there was still a bunch of chipped stone on it.
post #29 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Route for today. Will report further after I've had something to eat.

Red - 2014
IBA # 42128

post #30 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Wow, first day of Spring and it was 85 degrees in northern Arkansas. I managed to get in 303 miles for the day.

All the roads on the route in the previous post are good. No winter maintenance stuff to get in the way of having a good time!

Did not see a single deer, although I did have a near miss with a kamikaze squirrel up on highway 21.

Saw several vehicles with boats loaded on the roof. I guess with Spring Break in full swing they are taking advantage of the nice weather on some of our rivers. Because of that kind of stuff, I wanted to stay off the roads that are more heavily traveled.

On the way back from Harrison, I had full intention of taking the lower section of highway 123. But when I saw all the gravel mentioned by @donniejoe I found myself taking a left turn on highway 16 rather than a right on 123.

Really enjoyed the day. Blue sky, very little wind, nice temps and very little traffic.

Guess we will just have to wait on a report regarding the lower section of highway 123.
Donnieontheroad and donniejoe like this.

Red - 2014
IBA # 42128

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page