GL1800Riders Forums banner

Ozark Road Conditions 2017

8K views 100 replies 19 participants last post by  Justa_Poser 
#1 ·
Last year @donniejoe started a thread about Ozark Road Conditions. Thought it would be a good time to get this thread started again for the new year. We've had several nice riding days this month that have given me the opportunity to check out some of the road conditions in the Ozarks.

I was on the southern half of Push Mountain a few days ago. And I would have to say it was great as usual! I took highway 14 and 27 over to Marshall. Then after a fuel stop I went back to 27 and let it take me to highway 74 that runs down to highway 66. Did not see any problems or surprises on these routes.

Today I ran the length of highway 7 from Russellville to Harrison. The construction is still in progress on the southern part of the highway. It is supposed to be finished sometime early this year. The construction zone between Jasper and Harrison is finished.

On the way back home I took highway 74 from Jasper over to 123 and ran that to the junction of highway 7 just North of Pelsior/Sand Gap. That was a very nice ride!! :thumbup: I really expected to see a lot of sand on the switchbacks. There was none!!

I took the lower part of 123 from Pelsoir/Sand Gap for a few miles, but turned around. The gravel is still pretty bad from the application last Fall. I was really disappointed. :frown2: I met an SUV that was kicking up dust like he was driving down a gravel road. :frown2:

Highway 154 that runs East and West across Petit Jean Mountain has about the only sand that I've seen so far. Most of it was on the curves going off the Mountain on the West end.

Highway 309 that runs over Mt. Magazine did not have much of anything in the way of sand on it. Wish they would repair the road on the South side. It has several rough places.

I've not been to the top of Mt. Nebo yet, but heard that it is clear of sand. Which is something of a surprise considering the time of year.

That is all I have for now. Will post more if I find anything.

If you see a problem post up so we can all benefit!!

See less See more
#4 ·
Have not been over there yet. Last year they did some paving on 23, but I'm not sure they came that far south?

Surely I will get an opportunity to get over there before Spring. That will be a good excuse to stop by Oark for some pie! :thumbup:

#5 ·
Great idea Bob ... Nothing beats first hand reports on road conditions ... Especially when it's on some of the best curvy roads you'll find anywhere.

Donnie

Reactions: speckfisher
#6 ·
In my first report I forgot to include Highway 87 from Mountain View to highway 14.

Last year at this time it had fresh chip and seal on the northern section close to highway 14. It is okay to ride now. This could really be a great road if it had a good layer of asphalt. As it is the surface is pretty rough in places. But it is a nice and curvy road!!!

#8 ·
Please let me know if you need any help with the pie!! >:)

Reactions: donniejoe
#9 ·
Bob and I have been doing some early season riding around Arkansas for the last week and wanted to share in this forum some of road conditions....

Here is a summary of our impressions of the road conditions that we have experienced over the last several days. Below is a collection of our routes over the last few days.

We found almost all of the roads that we traversed in the map above to be in excellent shape and surprising clean especially for this early in the year. The southern section of Highway 123 from Sand Gap (Pelsor) down south to the one lane bridge is still a mess with significant amounts of loose gravel. We love that section of Highway 123 but we avoided it because of it’s poor condition. The lower section of Highway 7 still has several spots of construction along it and is not projected to be completed until early 2017 according to the Arkansas Department of Transportation.

Donnie

#10 · (Edited)
I'm sitting here in the Oark Cafe where I just finished a big ol piece of apple crumble pie with ice cream. It was still warm! Wasn't fit to eat.
I rode up the Pig Trail (AR 23) from I 40 to the overlook north of Cass. The section with the worst tar snakes south of Turner Bend is just as bad as ever. They resurfaced the road south of Rock Creek and stopped before the bad tar snake area. The best part of the Pig Trail is still between Brashears and Cass. Take AR 215 east from Cass to Oark and eat some of this nasty pie.

I'm not going to say that it's sunny and 70 degrees today. That may be more than my northern friends can handle.

The secret is out about the Oark Cafe. I'm here at 3:00 on a Friday and there were only two tables available. There's 6 people working in here and they are busy. That's pretty good for a place so far out in the boondocks.

When you leave Oark go south to Clarksville or west to Cass. Don't try to go east unless you can handle a few miles of gravel and washboard switchbacks up a mountain.

#11 · (Edited)
I'm sitting here in the Oark Cafe where I just finished a big ol piece of apple crumble pie with ice cream. It was still warm! Wasn't fit to eat.
I rode up the Pig Trail (AR 23) from I 40 to the overlook north of Cass. The section with the worst tar snakes south of Turner Bend is just as bad as ever. They resurfaced the road south of Rock Creek and stopped before the bad tar snake area. The best part of the Pig Trail is still between Brashears and Cass. Take AR 215 east from Cass to Oark and eat some of this nasty pie.

The secret is out about the Oark Cafe. I'm here at 3:00 on a Friday and there were only two tables available. There's 6 people working in here and they are busy. That's pretty good for a place so far out in the boondocks.

When you leave Oark go south to Clarksville or west to Cass. Don't try to go east unless you can handle a few miles of gravel and washboard switchbacks up a mountain.
Your not kidding about the secret is out; we were there for Bikes Blues and BBQ back in September on a Friday afternoon about 3PM and the wait was 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

Thanks for the update I guess.....sure could use some pie!

Attachments

#12 ·
Thanks for the update donniejoe. It sure is disappointing to hear about those tar snakes on the southern part of highway 23. :frown2:

So far the only bad road sections in the Ozarks is that section of 23, the gravel on the lower part of highway 123 and some construction on highway 7 between Dover and Pelsor.

Bet that pie was GOOD!! :wink2:

The word is out about that place. The days when we could go in and find the place mostly empty are few. They are almost always real busy.

Reactions: Donnieontheroad
#14 ·
Rode another 250 miles today. I rode 71 between Alma and Fayetteville. It's been a few years and I've forgotten how good it is. I really enjoyed it. I also made the loop off of I49 to Devil's Den state park. The road with the hairpins down into the park from Winslow is needing some new surfacing but it's not that bad. It's a nice twisty route and not a bad place to camp.

The weather was nice for February and I had a great time.

#17 ·
Is Brown's Catfish in Russellville still open? My buddy lived in Clarksville and I rode back there 9 yrs. in a row to spend my 3 weeks vacation with him. Always made a point to go to Brown's for the buffet. Been to the Oark Cafe a time or two also and my ex-brother-in-law has lived in Ozark for 40+ yrs. Loved it back there.

#15 ·
Ya'll riding tomorrow? Gonna be chilly, but I've got to head back for Nebraska regardless. Staying in Morrilton Days Inn tonight. Gonna ride the Pig trail up to Eureka springs then head on home... If you're out and about, watch for an old beat up, worn out, limping along, ugly yellow bike and wave if you see it!

#16 ·
Welcome to Morrilton. :thumbup:

The grandchildren are visiting today, or I would visit with you for a few minutes. Hope you enjoy your ride home!

#19 ·
Made a 360 mile circle today, including Push Mountain Road. Here's the track:

I spent some time around Batesville because I lived there back in the 60's and early 70's and I wanted to see how things had changed.
Highway 14 is a great road that doesn't get much press. Starting at Locust Grove and going west it is really good. There are a few sections that could use resurfacing but overall it's fine. The ride from the intersection north of Mountain View to the town named Fifty Six is the best. Push Mountain Road intersects 14 between Fifty Six and Big Flat. I haven't been on it in a year and that's too long. It is so sweet. I ran it from the south to where the road drops off the mountain, that's the best part. I turned around and went back. It's a different ride in each direction. It was about 2 in the afternoon and I met two pickup trucks in the 30 or so miles I rode on it. You can really have fun on those long sweepers.
Highway 27 from Harriet to Marshall is nice too. If I would have had more time I would have ridden it all the way back to Russellville. There are a lot of good roads to and from this area. Any visit to the Ozarks from out of state should include them.
If you get a chance, ride Highway 14 and Push Mountain Road. You won't regret it.

#20 ·
Looks like a great ride donniejoe! But then just about any ride that includes Push Mountain has to be great! :thumbup:

Sure hoping this mess of weather we are getting doesn't cause us any problems in the Ozarks. Seems like when there is a little threat of snow they go nuts with the sand stuff on the roads. :frown2:

#21 ·
I've ridden Push Mtn road twice, years ago and a few years between even. And the first time I was on my GL1500 so that almost doesn't count. I have enjoyed a lot of other roads there for sure and the time I was there on the 15, I kept riding west the morning I had to get going for home because the roads were just so good up there in the north west area of the state. Ended up being more than 800 miles home that day but I didn't regret a thing. I guess since I rode Push Mtn the same direction both times I need to get back there and ride it each direction again. I do love the roads in western NC and eastern TN and that's closer for me as well. What to do?

Reactions: Monk
#22 ·
I know, decisions, decisions?

I don't really mean this the way it sounds, but when you get retired you can do it all! >:) well, maybe a little ... :wink2:

I have plans to attend the Spring Darkside Ride In. There are some great roads in that area as well.

But, one thing we have in Arkansas. A guy can get out on one of our very good rural twisty roads and not see another vehicle for miles. Or like donniejoe stated, you might see a pickup truck or two. In my book, that is the ticket!! :thumbup:

Reactions: Rapidray
#24 ·
I ran up 7 and 123 to Mt. Judea yesterday. There wasn't a cloud in the sky and the temps were in the 70's. I then ran 74 to Jasper, then 7 south back to Russellville. The roads were all good and ready to ride. There is one construction zone still active, near Pelsor. It will be completed in 60 days I'd guess. No reason to avoid 7 now.

The blackberry cobbler and ice cream is still good at the Cliff House.

#25 ·
Thank you!!! been wondering if they did a bunch of road treatment after our last little bit of snow. Sounds like not!! :thumbup:

Looks like I may run up that way tomorrow. Right now my plan is to run highway 21, 43 up to Harrison, then 7, 74 and 123 back. Will report back here on what I see.

Hopefully, more good road conditions. :smile2:

Trying to decide if I want to try the lower part of 123 to find out if it is any better?

Reactions: Donnieontheroad
#26 ·
I was through those areas about a month ago. It was great no matter which way you turn. There is some construction on Hwy 7 in several locations to widen and resurface. Dealing with the road snakes is just a way of life. Just know what they are when you see them and before you commit to a path through them.

#27 ·
My wife and I made it to Oark for lunch and a piece of peanut �� butter pie and then ate blackened snapper at the Cliff House yesterday (Saturday). Had another great quick NW Arkansas trip. :)

Reactions: donniejoe
#29 ·

Route for today. Will report further after I've had something to eat.

#30 ·
Wow, first day of Spring and it was 85 degrees in northern Arkansas. I managed to get in 303 miles for the day.

All the roads on the route in the previous post are good. No winter maintenance stuff to get in the way of having a good time!

Did not see a single deer, although I did have a near miss with a kamikaze squirrel up on highway 21. :smile2:

Saw several vehicles with boats loaded on the roof. I guess with Spring Break in full swing they are taking advantage of the nice weather on some of our rivers. Because of that kind of stuff, I wanted to stay off the roads that are more heavily traveled.

On the way back from Harrison, I had full intention of taking the lower section of highway 123. But when I saw all the gravel mentioned by @donniejoe I found myself taking a left turn on highway 16 rather than a right on 123.

Really enjoyed the day. Blue sky, very little wind, nice temps and very little traffic. :thumbup:

Guess we will just have to wait on a report regarding the lower section of highway 123. :frown2:

#31 · (Edited)
Another nice day with temps getting into the 70's. It was 63 degrees when I pulled out.

Here is the route:
https://goo.gl/maps/h7Uapvqj5fP2

Honestly, I'm sitting here in my recliner and I can't get the grin off my face!! >:)

I met a guy on Push Mountain riding a cruiser with the biggest old grin I've seen in a while. It was obvious that he was having a blast! :thumbup:

The only place I had to stop was on highway 25 just north of Heber Springs where they had a stoplight to convert the traffic over the dam into a one lane. The traffic for the entire route was not bad at all. I got caught behind one slow vehicle for a couple of miles, but mostly it was open road with very little traffic.

Had a great day!!

After some thought, I wanted to add the following. The only construction I saw was on highway 5 between Drasco and Mountain View. However, the bridge is finished and there was no major work happening when I went through.

Push Mountain was great as usual... :smile2:
For the return trip home, I took highway 263 south from Big Flat through Timbo until it junctioned with highway 9 between Mountain View and Shirley. This is not a road that gets much attention, but I want to say, it has some fun sections that I really enjoyed. The shrubs, grass, etc. is not cut very far back from the road, so the line of site can be limited at times. This time of year it is pretty nice since everything has not bushed out yet. But beware, it has a few curves in it that with surprise you.

#32 ·
I was off yesterday and made a quick run down Hiway 7 from Russellville to Hot Springs. The rain chased me back to Russellville. That is a great stretch of road. The dogwoods are looking good all the way. It was a nice ride.

Weather for the Rogers Ride In will be perfect and a great time should be had by all. Sorry I can't go. Baby needs a new pair of shoes. Gotta keep working.

#33 ·
We ran the lower section of 123 last fall. Came in off of 16. There were sections of 16 road that must have been chip -n- sealed the day before. A bit scary. There was a lot of gravel on 123 next to the store there in Sand Gap - and the road had a fair amount of gravel but we made it down past that one-lane bridge and off on another adventure.

I hear that that lower section of 123 still has gravel - but unless they went over it again, then most of that should be gone by now ?

Will be in that area Friday (tomorrow) and really wanted to run that section. Anyone have an update on the condition of the lower section of 123 ? We don't mind a bit of gravel, as long as it isn't too deep.

#34 ·
The last time I was on it in January, while the gravel was still noticeable, it didn't have piles of it like last Fall. We've had a couple of good rains and thunderstorms in the area so maybe that has helped the condition of that road also?

But really can't say for sure. I wanted to get on it before the Rogers Ride In, but I've been unable to do so.

If you decide to run it, I would encourage you to let us know what you find.

#35 ·
Ran Hwy 7 from Harrison thru Jasper to 374 east to 123 south up thru Mt. Judea to 7 south to Sand Gap (intersection of 16, 7, and 123).

Then took 123 south to the one lane bridge over Big Piney Creek.... and back.

Hwy 123 south from Sand Gap (Pelsor) to the bridge had some very minor gravel in places. None concentrated anywhere on the road surface, but a bit here and there on the shoulders. An occasional tink-tink from a piece of gravel hitting the fenders.

We slowed down a fuzz, just to be careful. A much bigger issue were the driveways that had washed onto the roadway from that last rain.

Followed a car from the bridge back to Hwy 7 and did not see it kick up any gravel or debris or dust.

#36 ·
Thank You Sir for that report!!! :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.