Ozark Road Conditions 2017 - GL1800Riders
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Ozark Road Conditions 2017

Last year @donniejoe started a thread about Ozark Road Conditions. Thought it would be a good time to get this thread started again for the new year. We've had several nice riding days this month that have given me the opportunity to check out some of the road conditions in the Ozarks.

I was on the southern half of Push Mountain a few days ago. And I would have to say it was great as usual! I took highway 14 and 27 over to Marshall. Then after a fuel stop I went back to 27 and let it take me to highway 74 that runs down to highway 66. Did not see any problems or surprises on these routes.

Today I ran the length of highway 7 from Russellville to Harrison. The construction is still in progress on the southern part of the highway. It is supposed to be finished sometime early this year. The construction zone between Jasper and Harrison is finished.

On the way back home I took highway 74 from Jasper over to 123 and ran that to the junction of highway 7 just North of Pelsior/Sand Gap. That was a very nice ride!! I really expected to see a lot of sand on the switchbacks. There was none!!

I took the lower part of 123 from Pelsoir/Sand Gap for a few miles, but turned around. The gravel is still pretty bad from the application last Fall. I was really disappointed. I met an SUV that was kicking up dust like he was driving down a gravel road.

Highway 154 that runs East and West across Petit Jean Mountain has about the only sand that I've seen so far. Most of it was on the curves going off the Mountain on the West end.

Highway 309 that runs over Mt. Magazine did not have much of anything in the way of sand on it. Wish they would repair the road on the South side. It has several rough places.

I've not been to the top of Mt. Nebo yet, but heard that it is clear of sand. Which is something of a surprise considering the time of year.

That is all I have for now. Will post more if I find anything.

If you see a problem post up so we can all benefit!!

Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014
Pirelli SnowControl Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
Pirelli Cinturato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 44 PSI
Traxxion by Paul Bihm - Midwest Custom Cycle Work
Darkside #623 - 190,000 Darkside Miles and Counting
IBA # 42128

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 10:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Excelent idea and thread, many thanks Sir Monk......
Monk and Donnie McCall like this.

May I pass you? I've got a Harley chasing me!!! #1378
2012 Gold Wing Level 4
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 11:50 PM
Contributing Member

Izzat one curve on the southern part of 23 still all slathered in tar snakes?

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRPilot View Post
Izzat one curve on the southern part of 23 still all slathered in tar snakes?
Have not been over there yet. Last year they did some paving on 23, but I'm not sure they came that far south?

Surely I will get an opportunity to get over there before Spring. That will be a good excuse to stop by Oark for some pie!

Red - 2014
IBA # 42128

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 08:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Great idea Bob ... Nothing beats first hand reports on road conditions ... Especially when it's on some of the best curvy roads you'll find anywhere.

Donnie
speckfisher likes this.

DonnieOnTheRoad

2013 (Lev3) Candy Alizarin Red Honda Goldwing - 92,409 miles
2011 Black Suzuki V-Strom 650A - 24,060 miles

* My previous Black 2004 Goldwing - 278,419 miles in 9+ years.

My Road Trip Blog/Journals --> http://donnieontheroad.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Life is like riding a motorcycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving ... nothing but two wheels and the open road!
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

In my first report I forgot to include Highway 87 from Mountain View to highway 14.

Last year at this time it had fresh chip and seal on the northern section close to highway 14. It is okay to ride now. This could really be a great road if it had a good layer of asphalt. As it is the surface is pretty rough in places. But it is a nice and curvy road!!!
1potter1 and speckfisher like this.

Red - 2014
IBA # 42128

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 08:47 AM
Seasoned Member

The section of 23 with the tar snakes was getting some new asphalt when I was there in December. I hope it is fine by now. I'll check it out as soon as I get a chance. Pie may be involved.

Thanks for starting a new thread, Bob. I don't get out nearly as much as you. Dang work!
Monk and speckfisher like this.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniejoe View Post
The section of 23 with the tar snakes was getting some new asphalt when I was there in December. I hope it is fine by now. I'll check it out as soon as I get a chance. Pie may be involved.

Thanks for starting a new thread, Bob. I don't get out nearly as much as you. Dang work!
Please let me know if you need any help with the pie!!
donniejoe likes this.

Red - 2014
IBA # 42128

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Bob and I have been doing some early season riding around Arkansas for the last week and wanted to share in this forum some of road conditions....

Here is a summary of our impressions of the road conditions that we have experienced over the last several days. Below is a collection of our routes over the last few days.

We found almost all of the roads that we traversed in the map above to be in excellent shape and surprising clean especially for this early in the year. The southern section of Highway 123 from Sand Gap (Pelsor) down south to the one lane bridge is still a mess with significant amounts of loose gravel. We love that section of Highway 123 but we avoided it because of itís poor condition. The lower section of Highway 7 still has several spots of construction along it and is not projected to be completed until early 2017 according to the Arkansas Department of Transportation.

Donnie

DonnieOnTheRoad

2013 (Lev3) Candy Alizarin Red Honda Goldwing - 92,409 miles
2011 Black Suzuki V-Strom 650A - 24,060 miles

* My previous Black 2004 Goldwing - 278,419 miles in 9+ years.

My Road Trip Blog/Journals --> http://donnieontheroad.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Life is like riding a motorcycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving ... nothing but two wheels and the open road!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:32 PM
Seasoned Member

I'm sitting here in the Oark Cafe where I just finished a big ol piece of apple crumble pie with ice cream. It was still warm! Wasn't fit to eat.
I rode up the Pig Trail (AR 23) from I 40 to the overlook north of Cass. The section with the worst tar snakes south of Turner Bend is just as bad as ever. They resurfaced the road south of Rock Creek and stopped before the bad tar snake area. The best part of the Pig Trail is still between Brashears and Cass. Take AR 215 east from Cass to Oark and eat some of this nasty pie.

I'm not going to say that it's sunny and 70 degrees today. That may be more than my northern friends can handle.

The secret is out about the Oark Cafe. I'm here at 3:00 on a Friday and there were only two tables available. There's 6 people working in here and they are busy. That's pretty good for a place so far out in the boondocks.

When you leave Oark go south to Clarksville or west to Cass. Don't try to go east unless you can handle a few miles of gravel and washboard switchbacks up a mountain.
Monk likes this.

Last edited by donniejoe; 02-17-2017 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Weather

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page