NY Finger Lakes Region - Page 3 - GL1800Riders
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
If you're not scrambling for time, 30 would be my first choice. It will take you down the Pepacton Reservoir, Margaretville is a good stop along 30. Rte 30 runs into 206 at Downsville, another very nice road. If you're into covered bridges, there is one just as you come in to Downsville.
206 takes you to Whitney Point where you can keep heading west on 79. Whitney Point has a cool diner and a couple of nice ice cream spots. There is a fresh water spring just outside Lisle where you can stop can fill your canteen (water bottles) You will probable see a couple locals there. 79 takes you to Ithaca. Ithaca is a gateway to the Finger Lakes so you will have to make some decisions about what to see while you are in that area.

On the other hand, I take 28 - 8 - 365 - 49 - 3 - 104 quite a bit. You go through more congestion, but there are ways around them and the sights are just as beautiful. As I said, decisions

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenniac View Post
If you're not scrambling for time, 30 would be my first choice. It will take you down the Pepacton Reservoir, Margaretville is a good stop along 30. Rte 30 runs into 206 at Downsville, another very nice road. If you're into covered bridges, there is one just as you come in to Downsville.
206 takes you to Whitney Point where you can keep heading west on 79. Whitney Point has a cool diner and a couple of nice ice cream spots. There is a fresh water spring just outside Lisle where you can stop can fill your canteen (water bottles) You will probable see a couple locals there. 79 takes you to Ithaca. Ithaca is a gateway to the Finger Lakes so you will have to make some decisions about what to see while you are in that area.

On the other hand, I take 28 - 8 - 365 - 49 - 3 - 104 quite a bit. You go through more congestion, but there are ways around them and the sights are just as beautiful. As I said, decisions
30/206/79 to Ithaca looks real good.
In the past I turned back east onto 28 from 30 at Margaretville (toward pizza in Phoenicia) or onto 145 at Middleburgh.

Fighting for YOUR right to revise any post you don't like.
'05 GL1800 Silver
'87 HD FXR Low Rider
'80 KZ750
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 07:04 PM
Seasoned Member

If I remember correctly Pepacton Reservoir is one of the water supply reservoirs for the water you drink in metropolitan NYC....they pipe it quite a ways.

Allen

Michelin PA3 ZP Runflat 17,100 miles
Yokohama Avid ENVigor

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner1800 View Post
If I remember correctly Pepacton Reservoir is one of the water supply reservoirs for the water you drink in metropolitan NYC....they pipe it quite a ways.

Allen
Could be. I always heard Ashokan was the main one. (Nice ride around it.)

'05 GL1800 Silver
'87 HD FXR Low Rider
'80 KZ750
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 09:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner1800 View Post
There's a whole big world out there once you leave the confines of your home city. If you look at an atlas....now that you are leaving the cocoon of your city and venturing out to see the big world you should buy a map atlas....Wal Mart sells them cheaply and they are actually decent good maps. There is a road that runs along each of the Finger Lakes and each road is very scenic. Check out Taughannock Falls State Park just north of Ithaca, NY. There's no charge to enter the park and the Taughannock Falls is absolutely awesome at a height of 215'....higher than Niagara Falls and the highest single drop falls east of the Rockies.

Another great NY Park to check out not that far from the Finger Lakes is Letchworth State Park, the home of the "Grand Canyon of NY".

Allen
Letchworth State Park was also recently voted the best state park in America. It is 17 miles long with several scenic stops along the way, including an overlook of the Mt Morris dam, three impressive waterfalls and the famed Glen Iris Inn Restaurant.

post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenniac View Post
Letchworth State Park was also recently voted the best state park in America. It is 17 miles long with several scenic stops along the way, including an overlook of the Mt Morris dam, three impressive waterfalls and the famed Glen Iris Inn Restaurant.
It's on the list.
Heading out June 8 from Lake George, across Gr. Sacandaga Lake to 30...figuring 4-5 days.
Looking forward to it.

'05 GL1800 Silver
'87 HD FXR Low Rider
'80 KZ750

Last edited by Justin K.; 02-22-2017 at 01:25 PM.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando View Post
Much oblige fellers,
As a matter of fact I am on the last leg of a tourmaster transition 2...that's right, the 2. I been looking at the transition 4 on the internet wondering if I am going to like it as much...I will definitely make it a point to stop there. thanks.
Can't believe I forgot to mention this...
If you're still up for shopping, head north on 16 out of Conway, past Mt. Washington, way up to the Dixville Notch/ Grafton Notch area.
At the corner of 16 & 26 in Errol, NH is LL Cote Sports Center. Look it up.

http://www.llcote.com/

'05 GL1800 Silver
'87 HD FXR Low Rider
'80 KZ750

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page