NY Finger Lakes Region - GL1800Riders
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

NY Finger Lakes Region

A piece of my own state I haven't toured yet. Shameful.
Does anyone have a good mc route around/through there?
I have an area guidebook but it points you at the wineries, B&B's and people-with-kids type tours.
I'll probably be heading west on 20 after Americade, but after that I'm clueless.

Thanks

Fighting for YOUR right to revise any post you don't like.
'05 GL1800 Silver
'87 HD FXR Low Rider
'80 KZ750

Last edited by Justin K.; 02-01-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 03:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I wasn't in charge of routes when my group went but all I can say is it is a beautiful area... Really opened my eyes to the beauty of the state...

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul
Honorary Wild Rhino - 7/10/2014

GL1800 HPNAM9
Darkside #1574 - Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
Double Darkside - BT-45

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 04:49 PM
Seasoned Member

There's a whole big world out there once you leave the confines of your home city. If you look at an atlas....now that you are leaving the cocoon of your city and venturing out to see the big world you should buy a map atlas....Wal Mart sells them cheaply and they are actually decent good maps. There is a road that runs along each of the Finger Lakes and each road is very scenic. Check out Taughannock Falls State Park just north of Ithaca, NY. There's no charge to enter the park and the Taughannock Falls is absolutely awesome at a height of 215'....higher than Niagara Falls and the highest single drop falls east of the Rockies.

Another great NY Park to check out not that far from the Finger Lakes is Letchworth State Park, the home of the "Grand Canyon of NY".

Allen
Justin K., Ed Z and goldwingchuck like this.

Michelin PA3 ZP Runflat 17,100 miles
Yokohama Avid ENVigor

Last edited by roadrunner1800; 02-01-2017 at 07:41 PM.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner1800 View Post
There's a whole big world out there once you leave the confines of your home city. If you look at an atlastlas....now that you are leaving the cocoon of your city and venturing out to see the big world you should buy a map atlas....Walk Mart sells them cheaply and they are actually decent good maps. There is a road that runs along each of the Finger Lakes and each road is very scenic. Check out Taughannock Falls State Park just north of Ithaca, NY. There's no charge to enter the park and the Taughannock Falls is absolutely awesome at a height of 215'....higher than Niagara Falls and the highest single drop falls east of the Rockies.

Another great NY Park to check out not that far from the Finger Lakes is Letchworth State Park, the home of the "Grand Canyon of NY".

Allen
The cocoon/confines don't apply, but it did occur to me that I've seen a load more of your state, NH & Me. than my own. In NY I don't get west of the Adirondaks. I spend more time in New England, where the NE Riders have been a help.
My trips west have started out through NJ & Pa.
I'm boycotting WM specifically but I get your message.

'05 GL1800 Silver
'87 HD FXR Low Rider
'80 KZ750
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 07:54 PM
Seasoned Member

While at Americade check out some of the top rides in the whole state are just north of there according to NER. Tracy Road and Ensign Pond road are really nice little riding roads. If you go north alongside of Lake George and pick up rt#8 S or W...another really sweet road to stretch out that GL1800.

Sorry you saw right through my subtle attempts at having fun with a person from NYC....anytime most of us New Englander's are near or talk to anyone from the that big city we automatically think of them as "Yankees" fans and you do know that most of New England , except Connecticut which we don't think of as New England, is die hard Red Sox Nation.

Allen
Justin K. and jlbc212 like this.

Yokohama Avid ENVigor
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 08:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Finger Lakes region is absolutely beautiful. Letchworth State Park is a must see. I am from Ohio and my wife and I spent a few days in the region and found many great roads to explore. Get a map ( or GPS) and start riding. All roads lead to somewhere. Enjoy!
Brenniac likes this.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 08:14 PM
Seasoned Member

We attend auctions in Geneva and always take another day to ride. 14 south to Watkins Glen is nice, usually busy though. One vineyard after another. Pretty area. My favorite place is actually on Lake Ontario, less than an hour from the Finger Lakes. Putneyville. Zoom is just west of Sodus Point and it will come up. Nothing much there other than a great little village and a park on the shore where we have a picnic lunch. Sodus Point is interesting too. OK I'm also a boatless boater. I have to check out every marina. Geneva is a college town and seems to cater to that crowd with loud restaurant and bars. Better food can be found out in the vineyards heading south. Any of the back roads in the area are nice rides if you enjoy vineyards and farms that look profitable.
Brenniac likes this.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:13 PM
CJS
Seasoned Member

Garage
There is lots of information on the newenglandriders.org web site. If you dig around and get comfortable with the site you will find a page showing several rides in New York as well as other New England states. It is extra nice that you show you a map of the ride but also provide detailed information and a GPS file that you can download and use.
I think this is the most complete and useful motorcycle riding web site anywhere on the web.
You will be glad is you become familiar with it for current future use. They also have lots of activities and get togethers and list good restaurants and other riding related information.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner1800 View Post
While at Americade check out some of the top rides in the whole state are just north of there according to NER. Tracy Road and Ensign Pond road are really nice little riding roads. If you go north alongside of Lake George and pick up rt#8 S or W...another really sweet road to stretch out that GL1800.

Sorry you saw right through my subtle attempts at having fun with a person from NYC....anytime most of us New Englander's are near or talk to anyone from the that big city we automatically think of them as "Yankees" fans and you do know that most of New England , except Connecticut which we don't think of as New England, is die hard Red Sox Nation.

Allen
I don't think I can name a single Yankee fan any more. Those days are over.
You're probably right that some of us city fellers need to get out more.
After about 17 Americades I know the outlying area pretty well, Whiteface, etc. Worn out a few area maps over the years. Just rode Tracy Road a couple of years ago. Disappointed at how short it is.

While I have your attention...have they worked on the road condition in the Gaps? 17 and 125 were pretty hairy last couple of years. Don't even like to think about 100.

'05 GL1800 Silver
'87 HD FXR Low Rider
'80 KZ750
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 10:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin K. View Post
I don't think I can name a single Yankee fan any more. Those days are over.
You're probably right that some of us city fellers need to get out more.
After about 17 Americades I know the outlying area pretty well, Whiteface, etc. Worn out a few area maps over the years. Just rode Tracy Road a couple of years ago. Disappointed at how short it is.

While I have your attention...have they worked on the road condition in the Gaps? 17 and 125 were pretty hairy last couple of years. Don't even like to think about 100.

I rode on both 100 and 17 this past riding season and it was the first time in about 5 years because I had given up on the terrible road conditions in the past....VT sucks at maintaining the roads. They accept all the federal handouts and instead of doing major paving projects with the money they seem to consider buying up abandoned railroad lines and building bicycle, pedestrian, and snowmobile trails on the old track lines a top priority. After all you know, Vermont's economy has been transformed away from any blue collar businesses to a state that now caters to the almighty tourist dollar. They were in the process of digging multiple trenches across 17 on the western side of the hill for drainage culverts. I have not been back and I was there I think early July(maybe late June) but usually paving happens after they do the culvert work. Perhaps someone in NER could advise you about that. There was no sign of any work being done on the Eastern side of the hill when I rolled through. There were some very seriously wide cracks in the pavement all along 17 and I wouldn't recommend riding it until someone verifies they have fixed it.

Rt100 wasn't all that bad south from rt17 and that did surprise me as I remembered it to be very rough also....I didn't go any farther north from the 17 junction. Really the worst section and it was tolerable was the section from Ludlow south down to Londonderry to the rt11 junction. Again the NER riders ride around Vermont all the time so you could get info from Ed Conde ...he's on Facebook.

See after trying to bust your chops earlier because you were from you know where, I hope I came through for you with info lol.

Allen
Justin K. likes this.

Yokohama Avid ENVigor

Last edited by roadrunner1800; 02-01-2017 at 10:45 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page