Skyline Drive & Blue Ridge Parkway ride time - Page 3 - GL1800Riders
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 01:04 PM

At all costs, avoid ANY temptation to spend the night at the Skyline lodges. I've stayed at Big Meadows twice (I know, I know) -- once in the main lodge and once in the smaller separate cabins. I can honestly say that the latter was the WORST lodging I've ever spent money on. I'm 60 and former military, so there's some serious competition for 'WORST'. Having a car to sleep in would have been a significant upgrade.
jlbc212 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 08:20 PM
Seasoned Member

As any other scenic road, if you go down the BRP to Cherokee, and if you have the time, come back up the BRP. The scenes are actually different looking at them from a different direction. We have the done the drive 3 times, at different times of the year, and have done many parts of it from different directions. You see things/views going one way, that you miss going the other. The southern part, in my opinion, is the best part.
jlbc212 likes this.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 03:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Papa Gene
Brp

I rode up from US-441 to Boone, spent the night, then on to Waynesboro, VA a couple of years ago to meet my son on his VTX. (He met me after riding Skyline south from Front Royal, VA to Waynesboro, VA. After spending the night, we went south to Boone, spent the night, then rode down to US-441. All of it was open at the time, but according to the following link, this is not the case right now. https://www.nps.gov/maps/full.html?m....1888/-81.5882
Always check before you leave so you don't get any surprises.
jlbc212 likes this.

"Life goes on...till it doesn't."

Papa Gene
Retired in Spring City, TN

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 05:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Of course It depends when you are going - In the fall when the leaves turn during a weekend the whole trip could take 18 hours. Normally 12 to 14. I have driven this route 6 times the route is gorgeous. I especially like to travel it on a warm winter day because the streams and waterfalls are not hidden by foliage.

Weikosteve - "I Support Our Troops"
2007 Metalic Orange Nav - Airbag Goldwing - For My Comfort
2003 Harley - For My Wild Side
2005 Yumbo - For My Wife
"Prowler # 18"
"Darksider # 1208"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page