DonnieOnTheRoad - Road Trip - Twisted Sisters & Big Bend Texas - Page 3 - GL1800Riders
 118Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner1800 View Post
you do have to keep Monk out of trouble you know or is it the other way around.
Allen
Unfortunately ... it's Monk who has to keep me out of trouble and fully fueled up lol.

Donnie
roadrunner1800 and Monk like this.

DonnieOnTheRoad

2013 (Lev3) Candy Alizarin Red Honda Goldwing - 103,109 miles
2011 Black Suzuki V-Strom 650A - 24,060 miles

* My previous Black 2004 Goldwing - 278,419 miles in 9+ years.

My Road Trip Blog/Journals --> http://donnieontheroad.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Life is like riding a motorcycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving ... nothing but two wheels and the open road!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 09:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnieontheroad View Post
Hello All ….

Couple of days from now on Feb 28th I’ll be hitting the open road again. This will be my first Road Trip in this new year and one I’ve been trying to do for some time. I will be blogging this road trip and will be posting my journal, pictures and updates to my web site nightly for the week or so I’ll be on the road for those that are interested in following along.

The direct link to this road trip can be found on my web site at the link below … scroll down for each night’s entry as I make them. If you don’t see the current day’s entry be sure to refresh your screen or check back in the morning. Some times they are posted late to give me time to put them together after a full day of riding.
http://donnieontheroad.com/styled-2/...-69/index.html

My spotwalla link if you want to see the roads we ride or the route we took can be found here…
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...3587eca18d6bfa

I’ve included the background on this road trip below … I’m also trying something new this time and plan to try and record some video clips, edit and publish them but it’s a learning experience so I’ll see what I can do if I have time to figure that all out.

As usual we can use this thread on the forum for comments or thoughts regarding this road trip. The nightly updates will only be on my web site. For those forum members that want to meet up with Bob and I send me a PM and we can maybe exchange telephone numbers to coordinate. We are hopeful to meet a few forum members if possible on this road trip.

Take Care …. and let’s be careful out there.

Donnie

————————————————————————

Feb 28th - March 8th 2017

Goldwing Road Trip - Hill Country (Twisted Sisters) and Big Bend Texas

Road Trip Background:

No better way than to kick off the New Year's riding season than a road trip into the unknown. There aren't many places left in the USA that are an unknown to me that I haven't had the pleasure to lay some tread on but the Texas Hill Country (Twisted Sisters) and Big Bend Texas are two locations that fit that bill. That was about to end. This road trip was on my mind last year at this time but the weather just wouldn't cooperate and the road trip fell through. This year the weather seems more favorable and we are determined to make it happen. My partner in crime for this road trip is Monk (Bob) none other than the Arkansas Ridge Runner himself. Bob and I share similar riding styles and will make a good team to pull this off. Arizona16 (Jim) will be riding out from Arizona to meet up with us in Alpine Texas and will join us as we explore the Big Bend, Texas area before he returns back out to Arizona and we head back east to home. Let the Sojourn begin ….

————————————————————————
I guess your leaving on the 28th Tuesday. I assume you will be in Kerrville Tuesday night. We have a chance of rain late Tuesday and early Wed but nice weather after that. You all have fun. I would join you guys but i have a funeral to go to this Thursday.
post #23 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Turkey View Post
I guess your leaving on the 28th Tuesday. I assume you will be in Kerrville Tuesday night. We have a chance of rain late Tuesday and early Wed but nice weather after that. You all have fun. I would join you guys but i have a funeral to go to this Thursday.
I'm leaving Dover, TN on Tuesday the 28th but I've got to get over to Arkansas to meet up with Bob that day. Bob and I will roll out of Morrilton, Arkansas together the next day .... Wednesday March 1st and should make Kerrville, Texas by late that evening.

Donnie

DonnieOnTheRoad

2013 (Lev3) Candy Alizarin Red Honda Goldwing - 103,109 miles
2011 Black Suzuki V-Strom 650A - 24,060 miles

* My previous Black 2004 Goldwing - 278,419 miles in 9+ years.

My Road Trip Blog/Journals --> http://donnieontheroad.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Life is like riding a motorcycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving ... nothing but two wheels and the open road!

post #24 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 09:23 AM
Seasoned Member

I love to join you guys myself, looks like a fun trip, and I've never been to those places either myself....I'll B watching your posts, with eyes wide open.

Ronnie
Monk likes this.

Captron- Springfield, Massachusetts
I retired at 55 years old- no more boss
more time to motorcycle and complete the "honey do" list..........
post #25 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnieontheroad View Post
Dear Uncle

You must be the guy that went to the Grand Canyon and said ... Hummm that's just a big hole in the ground ...nothing to see here lol. I lived in the Desert Southwest in Tucson, Arizona for several years and really came to appreciate the fact that the desert has an amazing ecosystem and is extremely beautiful in it's own right ... even the amazing Cactus. No the curvy roads in the Hill Country and Big Bend area will probably be nothing like what you'd find in Arkansas or the Smoky Mountains but then again you won't find Cactus in Arkansas or the Smoky mountain either. It's all good in my book and I want to marvel at it all before I check out of this world and give thanks for it.
Donnie
Same thoughts here. The first time I went to BB, I was on my FJR, running the 50 or so miles down from Marathon to the park entrance, on a beautiful morning in May, with some Seger in the earbuds, and got goosebumps.
Monk and donniejoe like this.
post #26 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 01:38 PM
Seasoned Member

In Kerrville on the get up Wednesday morning, supper 8 has a continental breakfast but if your looking for something quick and a bit more substantial, right down the road on Sidney Baker, on the right hand side is the Save Inn. Little hole in the wall place that has a good breakfast. It sits back off the road an can be missed easily. Just look of the La Quinta then the Motel 6, it is just past motel 6.
-
As the day wears on they get busy and they slow down a bit but if you let them know that you don't have a lot of time, they will take care of you.
-
http://www.saveinnrestaurant.com/
-
Ya'll have a great trip, wish I were going instead of working!
Donnieontheroad and Monk like this.
post #27 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 02:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Thumbs up

Wishing you a safe and enjoyable trip. Pat and I will be thinking of you and following your blog. Ride safe my friend.
Dave & Pat Gardner.
post #28 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 10:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Looking forward to keeping up with you guy's. Hope the weather is great but I know how good you guy's are at working around bad weather. Every time I talk to my coworkers (that also like to ride) I can't help but to mention Donnie on the road and Monk they know you almost as much as I do. As I was just talking about you guy's to them today. As far as yall know it's all good. Lol
post #29 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 03:07 PM

Thank You!

I can't tell you how much I enjoy your writing, Donnie. Thank you for making the time to write and taking us along for another FUN ride!
Donnieontheroad likes this.
post #30 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 07:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Pretty sure I spotted you guys this morning just east of Mt Pleasant TX about 9:45 to 10:00 am . I was east bound in the red semi flashing my lights. Y'all be careful and have fun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page