DonnieOnTheRoad - Road Trip - Twisted Sisters & Big Bend Texas - Page 4 - GL1800Riders
 118Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandman45 View Post
I can't tell you how much I enjoy your writing, Donnie. Thank you for making the time to write and taking us along for another FUN ride!
Thank you for saying that. Appreciate that very much.

I finally just finished posting today's journal a few minutes ago. If you go to my web page and don't see the update be sure to "reload" the page so the current one feeds in.

Donnie

DonnieOnTheRoad

2013 (Lev3) Candy Alizarin Red Honda Goldwing - 103,109 miles
2011 Black Suzuki V-Strom 650A - 24,060 miles

* My previous Black 2004 Goldwing - 278,419 miles in 9+ years.

My Road Trip Blog/Journals --> http://donnieontheroad.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Life is like riding a motorcycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving ... nothing but two wheels and the open road!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by playboy View Post
Pretty sure I spotted you guys this morning just east of Mt Pleasant TX about 9:45 to 10:00 am . I was east bound in the red semi flashing my lights. Y'all be careful and have fun.
That timing sounds right but being on the interstate and not specifically looking for you I don't recalling see you. You had the advantage of our spot tracker. Be careful and have fun ..... Can Do!

Donnie

DonnieOnTheRoad

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Life is like riding a motorcycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving ... nothing but two wheels and the open road!
post #33 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 07:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
So close and yet....

Hey Donnie and Monk,

The g/f and I just got back in late last night from a trip to Virginia and I wasn't able to keep up with your blog. I wish I had kept up with it. Our GWRRA chapter had a hooky ride today that took us up through Fredericksburg and then back to Kerrville. I would have enjoyed the chance to catch you in Kerrville before you left tomorrow to enjoy the rest of the state of Texas. Guess I'll have to make sure to get to Glockjock's place at the end of April to catch up with you on your trip. I'll follow the blog and everything till then. Stay safe and keep the rubber down!!! Happy Trails!!!!!

Keith
Donnieontheroad and sailtexas like this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is too short not to ride as often as you can!! Enjoy the scenery along the ride.

1976 CB550-Four
1994 GL1500 Aspencade
2004 GL1800 Titanium (totaled 5/2017)
2007 GL1800 Nebulous Black

GWRRA - promoting Friends, Fun, Safety & Knowledge.

GWRRA # 400819

post #34 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 07:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnieontheroad View Post
That timing sounds right but being on the interstate and not specifically looking for you I don't recalling see you. You had the advantage of our spot tracker. Be careful and have fun ..... Can Do!

Donnie
Oh I didn't expect you to there is a lot of trucks out there. Do one of you have a red and black wing ? I had talked to Hobo a few minutes after spotting you or someone and while we were chatting he pulled up your location about and hour after the siteing you were at the pilot in sulphur springs.
post #35 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 08:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by playboy View Post
Oh I didn't expect you to there is a lot of trucks out there. Do one of you have a red and black wing ? I had talked to Hobo a few minutes after spotting you or someone and while we were chatting he pulled up your location about and hour after the siteing you were at the pilot in sulphur springs.
Both our Wings are stock Red. So, might have been another set of riders out enjoying this nice early March weather.
sailtexas likes this.

Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014
Pirelli SnowControl Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
Pirelli Cinturato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 40 PSI
Mega Monty Traxxion - Service by Fred Harmon
Darkside #623 - 200,000 Darkside Miles and Counting
IBA # 42128

post #36 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Those storm clouds looked pretty bad glad you found shelter. Your comment about eating at the Waffle House cracked me up. Thanks for taking the time to write about this trip. We enjoy riding along with you guys.
Donnieontheroad and Monk like this.
post #37 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 10:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
Both our Wings are stock Red. So, might have been another set of riders out enjoying this nice early March weather.
Well dern it all. I must have just missed you then. Only two wings I saw that morning.

After looking at some of your pics on your web site the black that I saw was a shadow on the lower body line of your saddle bag. At a conservative 140 mph you at 70 and me at 70 it was a quick look lol. So all is good again.

Last edited by playboy; 03-03-2017 at 11:33 PM. Reason: corrected identity
post #38 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Alpine Texas

Posted today's journal on my web site little while ago .... In Alpine, Tx next few days ... Jim (Arizona16) joined up with us today. Now we're a posse of 3.

Donnie
TommyOne and Big_Bear like this.

DonnieOnTheRoad

post #39 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

Garage
Donnie and Monk, be sure and have dinner at Reata before you leave Alpine!

And by the way, I agree with you about the Twisted Sisters. I think of that area as a big fish in a small pond; in a state that is for the most part a pretty boring place to ride, the TS stands out, but I've ridden in much better places.
post #40 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

You're exactly right

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdaniel View Post
Donnie and Monk, be sure and have dinner at Reata before you leave Alpine!

And by the way, I agree with you about the Twisted Sisters. I think of that area as a big fish in a small pond; in a state that is for the most part a pretty boring place to ride, the TS stands out, but I've ridden in much better places.
Definitely ... Heard about Reata and we do plan to eat there for sure ... thanks.

Also thanks for the comments about the Twisted Sister roads. Bob and I didn't want everyone to think we were dishing on those roads but at the same time I wanted to be honest with our assessment and thoughts about them ... least so far .... as there are a few more we still need to ride on the way back. As you said it's all relative to what you have available to you depending upon where you live. If I lived here I'm sure I'd appreciate them more. The rest of Texas is pretty darn flat and desolate with a lot of straight roads that go on forever. Least the speed limits are pushed up to a reasonable level so you can make good time.

Donnie

DonnieOnTheRoad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page