DonnieOnTheRoad - Road Trip - Twisted Sisters & Big Bend Texas - Page 9 - GL1800Riders
 118Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 09:37 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie View Post
Hey Donnie, finally caught up to getting out and reading Monk's & your trip...made me wish I was along. That exactly where the wife and I were headed last year after my ride with you guys last year got cut short...then along the US & Mx border back to Cali to park the bike and fly home. Oh well best laid plans sometimes go awry. I enjoyed it say Hi to Monk for me.

Jamie
Hey, it is good to see a post from you. Glad your healing up well!!

I guess a twisty guy like myself should get out and do some West Texas riding every so often. I actually starting getting accustom to those 75 and 80 MPH speed limits!

Not sure what I will do back in Arkansas!

One of the most fun things to happen on this trip ... and I might add, it happened more than once ...

I would be tooling along enjoying the country side, speed around 75 to 80 and a little more if I wanted to keep Donnie in site. But then every so often we would hit one of those spots that I've began to recognize where the road opens up and you can see forever with plenty of open area on both sides of the road. And Donnie would just vanish!

Wanted to say, wait I wasn't ready! A man has to really be on his toes to keep up in that open country!
TommyOne likes this.

Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014
Pirelli SnowControl Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
Pirelli Cinturato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 40 PSI
Mega Monty Traxxion - Service by Fred Harmon
Darkside #623 - 200,000 Darkside Miles and Counting
IBA # 42128

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie View Post
Hey Donnie, finally caught up to getting out and reading Monk's & your trip...made me wish I was along. That exactly where the wife and I were headed last year after my ride with you guys last year got cut short...then along the US & Mx border back to Cali to park the bike and fly home. Oh well best laid plans sometimes go awry. I enjoyed it say Hi to Monk for me.

Jamie
Hey Jamie ... great to hear from you and to also know that you've made great progress in your recovery. Never to late to work that road trip into a future one of yours if circumstances allow. We had a great time as I'm sure the journal reflected. If you're ever on the mainland again and have two wheels under you give us a shout out.

Take Care,

Donnie
Monk likes this.

DonnieOnTheRoad

2013 (Lev3) Candy Alizarin Red Honda Goldwing - 103,109 miles
2011 Black Suzuki V-Strom 650A - 24,060 miles

* My previous Black 2004 Goldwing - 278,419 miles in 9+ years.

My Road Trip Blog/Journals --> http://donnieontheroad.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Life is like riding a motorcycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving ... nothing but two wheels and the open road!
post #83 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Hummm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
I actually starting getting accustom to those 75 and 80 MPH speed limits!
If I didn't know any better I'd swear I'm rubbing off on you some. Good to know you're appreciating speed so much more .... You've told those speed stories on me so much I'm starting to believe them.

Donnie
Monk likes this.

DonnieOnTheRoad

2013 (Lev3) Candy Alizarin Red Honda Goldwing - 103,109 miles
2011 Black Suzuki V-Strom 650A - 24,060 miles

* My previous Black 2004 Goldwing - 278,419 miles in 9+ years.

My Road Trip Blog/Journals --> http://donnieontheroad.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Life is like riding a motorcycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving ... nothing but two wheels and the open road!

post #84 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 02:58 PM
Seasoned Member

My wife & I just got back from our spring trip to the TX hill country. We managed to get in around 650 miles of fun TX hill country twisties all around the Kerrville area with nearly perfect weather, give or take 20-30 miles of moist drizzly weather on Saturday morning. What an absolute blast it is to meet with friends and literally B L A S T through those Three Twisted Sisters and more surrounding highways & roadways. Although, for the most part, we avoided parts of hwy 337 due to what I read during this thread, what I could see of it didn't look all that bad considering it's the usual chip & seal stuff that is never as good/solid as regular new asphalt pavement. I think hwy 335 may be my favorite. The blue bonnets sure were pretty again this year, as well as all the many other species of flowers they've got growing along the roadways there, but it's hard to take it all in while keeping up with the hooligans we ride with when we go down there. I suspect I may have actually broken the speed limit once or twice - not sure since I was hanging on with both hands and constantly scanning ahead for curves and wildlife. That part of TX sure has a sh!!t ton of little deer...holy cow.
Donnieontheroad likes this.
post #85 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

We don't consider the cows "holy", but on the section of 336 between the cattle guards they and their droppings will get you started praying!

We stopped at a farm house on 337 one time to tell a farmer that his horse was standing in the middle of the road just around a curve. He told us to slow down and go on around her, but suggested we pass on her head end not near her hind quarters!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Donnieontheroad likes this.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page