DonnieOnTheRoad - Road Trip - Twisted Sisters & Big Bend Texas - GL1800Riders
 116Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

DonnieOnTheRoad - Road Trip - Twisted Sisters & Big Bend Texas

Hello All ….

Couple of days from now on Feb 28th I’ll be hitting the open road again. This will be my first Road Trip in this new year and one I’ve been trying to do for some time. I will be blogging this road trip and will be posting my journal, pictures and updates to my web site nightly for the week or so I’ll be on the road for those that are interested in following along.

The direct link to this road trip can be found on my web site at the link below … scroll down for each night’s entry as I make them. If you don’t see the current day’s entry be sure to refresh your screen or check back in the morning. Some times they are posted late to give me time to put them together after a full day of riding.
http://donnieontheroad.com/styled-2/...-69/index.html

My spotwalla link if you want to see the roads we ride or the route we took can be found here…
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...3587eca18d6bfa

I’ve included the background on this road trip below … I’m also trying something new this time and plan to try and record some video clips, edit and publish them but it’s a learning experience so I’ll see what I can do if I have time to figure that all out.

As usual we can use this thread on the forum for comments or thoughts regarding this road trip. The nightly updates will only be on my web site. For those forum members that want to meet up with Bob and I send me a PM and we can maybe exchange telephone numbers to coordinate. We are hopeful to meet a few forum members if possible on this road trip.

Take Care …. and let’s be careful out there.

Donnie

————————————————————————

Feb 28th - March 8th 2017

Goldwing Road Trip - Hill Country (Twisted Sisters) and Big Bend Texas

Road Trip Background:

No better way than to kick off the New Year's riding season than a road trip into the unknown. There aren't many places left in the USA that are an unknown to me that I haven't had the pleasure to lay some tread on but the Texas Hill Country (Twisted Sisters) and Big Bend Texas are two locations that fit that bill. That was about to end. This road trip was on my mind last year at this time but the weather just wouldn't cooperate and the road trip fell through. This year the weather seems more favorable and we are determined to make it happen. My partner in crime for this road trip is Monk (Bob) none other than the Arkansas Ridge Runner himself. Bob and I share similar riding styles and will make a good team to pull this off. Arizona16 (Jim) will be riding out from Arizona to meet up with us in Alpine Texas and will join us as we explore the Big Bend, Texas area before he returns back out to Arizona and we head back east to home. Let the Sojourn begin ….

————————————————————————

DonnieOnTheRoad

2013 (Lev3) Candy Alizarin Red Honda Goldwing - 92,409 miles
2011 Black Suzuki V-Strom 650A - 24,060 miles

* My previous Black 2004 Goldwing - 278,419 miles in 9+ years.

My Road Trip Blog/Journals --> http://donnieontheroad.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Life is like riding a motorcycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving ... nothing but two wheels and the open road!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

Did this last year and the weather was not bad. It did rain a little. You will have fun.

Winger98
USMC Viet Nam Era Vet
1975 Goldwing
1998 Aspencade Goldwing
2008 Goldwing
post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 04:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Best of luck, ride safe, have fun. So is that the way to document travels?...on a website? I don't think I have what it takes to run a website. I'll be checking it out, and dreaming about being a tag-a-long.
Donnieontheroad, Monk and TommyOne like this.

post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLblinded View Post
Best of luck, ride safe, have fun. So is that the way to document travels?...on a website? I don't think I have what it takes to run a website. I'll be checking it out, and dreaming about being a tag-a-long.
This is the way I've chosen to do it over the years. (I've got about 10 years worth of road trips stories on my web site) It's not terribly difficult to do but I do have an IT background so that helps. Others like "MisterK" just create a thread and post pictures in real time and use the thread itself to tell of their journey right here which is great and easy also. How ever you do it it's great fun to share your experience and adventure.
Glad to have you along virtually.

Donnie

DonnieOnTheRoad

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Life is like riding a motorcycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving ... nothing but two wheels and the open road!
post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 05:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Really looking forward to this road trip.

This will be my first trip to the Texas Hill Country.

And my first time to visit Big Bend National Park.

I've heard so much about both, so they've been on my bucket list for a long time.

As always looking forward to following Donnie around on another great adventure.

Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014
Pirelli SnowControl Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
Pirelli Cinturato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 44 PSI
Traxxion by Paul Bihm - Midwest Custom Cycle Work
Darkside #623 - 190,000 Darkside Miles and Counting
IBA # 42128

post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 09:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Really looking forward to this ride with you guys. Never been to Big Bend so it should be fun. Might even beat the 700 miles each way down I-10! 😜😎
Donnieontheroad, Monk and TommyOne like this.

Jim

2016 Level 3 11K Miles
2005 Yamaha FJR 51K Miles

post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 11:47 PM
Seasoned Member

HHill country nice. Just spent 2 days in big bend. Sorry but I wasn't impressed. If camping get reserved cause was full when I was there. That was after president day weekend. Hit the mountain campground if camping also have rooms there. If ya like 20 different types of catus you'll love the place. 😏 Maybe if I follow Donnie s. Post I'll see something I missed. Good luck n be safe. It ain't called "big bend" for nothing. Lol

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 07:51 AM
Seasoned Member

Below is our planned route for the first day. It includes a lot of interstate which is not our favorite thing to do, but the first day plan is to GET there so we can start enjoying the good stuff on Thursday.

https://goo.gl/maps/s2mKX7MHRtN2
TommyOne likes this.

Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014
Pirelli SnowControl Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
Pirelli Cinturato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 44 PSI
Traxxion by Paul Bihm - Midwest Custom Cycle Work
Darkside #623 - 190,000 Darkside Miles and Counting
IBA # 42128

post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 08:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Bob, why are you bypassing the metroplex on your route? We have some beautiful twisty and scenic freeways. LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Donnieontheroad and Monk like this.

Kevin

IBA# 55527

Rat Pack 2013

2010 Old Yeller Level 2

Windbender HPS with rake kit

DS: Running yoko's and mich primacy's

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Think about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLEJOHN View Post
HHill country nice. Just spent 2 days in big bend. Sorry but I wasn't impressed. If camping get reserved cause was full when I was there. That was after president day weekend. Hit the mountain campground if camping also have rooms there. If ya like 20 different types of catus you'll love the place. 😏 Maybe if I follow Donnie s. Post I'll see something I missed. Good luck n be safe. It ain't called "big bend" for nothing. Lol
Dear Uncle

You must be the guy that went to the Grand Canyon and said ... Hummm that's just a big hole in the ground ...nothing to see here lol. I lived in the Desert Southwest in Tucson, Arizona for several years and really came to appreciate the fact that the desert has an amazing ecosystem and is extremely beautiful in it's own right ... even the amazing Cactus. No the curvy roads in the Hill Country and Big Bend area will probably be nothing like what you'd find in Arkansas or the Smoky Mountains but then again you won't find Cactus in Arkansas or the Smoky mountain either. It's all good in my book and I want to marvel at it all before I check out of this world and give thanks for it.

Sorry your trip to Death Valley turned rainy and I hope you made it or are getting back home safely. See you later in the year at one of the Ride-Ins.

Donnie
FL Cracker, Tbeck, shojac and 2 others like this.

DonnieOnTheRoad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page