I-95 south from VA to FL - GL1800Riders
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By M61A1MECH
  • 1 Post By Pooch

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

I-95 south from VA to FL

I know I will get lots of opinions but is it really as bad as some say? I'm planning a ride down it in May after the Maggie Valley Darkside Ride In.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Blue Highway][SIZE=2]

2010 Level 3 DDS#1146 IBA#55800 SS1K x2, SS2K,BB1500,BBGold Certified
Disclaimer:This poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. This poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.
[/COLOR]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 07:44 AM
Seasoned Member

It is not that bad, when a couple of friends and I road up to West Virgina last year we super slabbed it most of the way just to make time, I took 95 from here in Edgewater, just south of Daytona Beach, met my friends just north of Jacksonville and stayed on I-95 up to where I-26 intersects in South Carolina.
The road conditions in some areas leave a lot to be desired, but generally in pretty good shape. Traffic in Jacksonville is always terrible and they have a never ending construction project going on so watch it going through J'ville.

How far south are you coming?

Steve Kowalcky
Edgewater, FL
Florida Prowler # 46250

The Lord said; "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."

My therapist's name is Dr. Goldwing, she has the antidote for the blues.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 09:06 AM
Seasoned Member

Road conditions aren't bad but steer clear of Washington. If you travel on the weekends there are less trucks on the road.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M61A1MECH View Post
It is not that bad, when a couple of friends and I road up to West Virgina last year we super slabbed it most of the way just to make time, I took 95 from here in Edgewater, just south of Daytona Beach, met my friends just north of Jacksonville and stayed on I-95 up to where I-26 intersects in South Carolina.
The road conditions in some areas leave a lot to be desired, but generally in pretty good shape. Traffic in Jacksonville is always terrible and they have a never ending construction project going on so watch it going through J'ville.

How far south are you coming?
I was thinking about Key west but may forego that part, maybe just to Jacksonville Beach.

Disclaimer:This poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. This poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.
[/COLOR]
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 03:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
I was thinking about Key west but may forego that part, maybe just to Jacksonville Beach.
Well it is 500 miles from J'ville to Key West and takes about 8 to 10 hours depending on traffic, traffic in south Florida starts getting bad again down near Fort Lauderdale then gets terrible in Miami.

Keys are excellent very worth the effort if have the chance to get down that far.
carsong85 likes this.

Steve Kowalcky
Edgewater, FL
Florida Prowler # 46250

The Lord said; "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."

My therapist's name is Dr. Goldwing, she has the antidote for the blues.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 03:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Jimmy, make sure you post a picture of you in your speedo swimsuit when you hit the beach. That way we will know that you are really there. That mean ole made me say that.

Paul... Vietnam Vet, 65/66/67, We're not here for a long time, just a good time!, '04 Durango Red 55,500 smiles, '01 Illusion Red, 167,500 smiles-Sold 01/27/2011, Kwik Kamp Trailer, Patriot Guard Rider,
Central CA.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 04:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
I know I will get lots of opinions but is it really as bad as some say? I'm planning a ride down it in May after the Maggie Valley Darkside Ride In.
What do some say? It's probably worse than some of that, and better than others.

From a bit north of Baltimore through a bit south of DC, it is ugly at commute time. Avoid that. Note that, on your m/c as long as you're not pulling a trailer, you can use the HOT lane for free.

Other than that, it's just a highway. A little windy through Richmond, and a little boring all the way to FL. Or so Pedro sez. I think it's worse from Philly north than it is from Baltimore south.

FWIW, purely from traffic conditions, I'd rather be on 95 than 81 through Virginia, which seems to be chock full of trucks with crazy people weaving around them. Though 81 area is much more scenic.

This is my signature block. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My signature block is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 04:20 PM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAWing View Post
Jimmy, make sure you post a picture of you in your speedo swimsuit when you hit the beach. That way we will know that you are really there. That mean ole made me say that.

Livin life to its fullest daily to prevent regrets later,,, or I am a freaking loon . Either way I am good .
Where's Rail now??http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...ahHnkalxai42Hi
= no eating or drinking warning . Whenever this is seen on one of my posts ,please put down the food and drink as to prevent choking hazard while trying to laugh with mouth full. Nothing worse than coffee out ones nose landing on keyboard . Nothing !
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAWing View Post
If I do that, everyone else will run for their lives so who will take the picture? Then can I sleep on the beach?
CAWing likes this.

[/COLOR]
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 04:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I travel through there every year on vacation in the cage. Worst part is the concrete slab sections. Ker-thunk, ker-thunk, ker-thunk. Very doable on the bike, though. Just don't let the rocking motion of the concrete slabs put you to sleep!

2014 Level 1 Black
DS#1662 Bridgestone Driveguard 195/55/16
Tennessee Traveler#423
2004 Victory Kingpin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page