GL1800Riders Forums banner

Last Trip to Florida

3K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  bamadave 
#1 ·
I just returned from Florida and after spending 10 days between Daytona, Key West and back up through central FL just too many dam cars and people for my liking. On a day trip from Homestead to Key West it took 4 hours of riding in stop and go traffic then no places to park the bike to get off and enjoy the sites. Yea I know go during the off season when it's 95 and humid but isn't the reason to go getting out of the winter weather. Give me the wide open west any day.

#4 ·
I myself just got home Friday night (3/17/17) from traveling to Fla. and spent a day in Key West also..
Although I did a cruise, instead of riding my bike..

I'd rather ride, but cruised instead.........

Ronnie

#5 ·
Truly sorry!

Really sorry to hear that your time in Florida was not what you expected. In 4 months I have ridden around 7-8000 (s)miles in sunny Florida. The trick is stay above Hwy 50. This is where the best riding in the state is. My personal opinion! Little to no traffic, great curves, hills, a mountain, great temperatures, super restaurants and some of the greatest folks that I have ever met!
I will continue to come to Florida until I can't anymore. If you ever decide to come back... give me a call and I will show you some of our little secret jem's :grin2:!

#7 ·
We like it!
Catch the Bone Fish running and your in for a good time......shame people zip through the keys when there is so many other things to do on some of the other Keys......
The best deal going on the Key West is for the retired Military; advance reservation and the retirees can stay plenty cheap.
-
Love Lorilieis on Islamorada; lovely little drinking village with a severe fishing problem!
-
How about spending the night under the ocean, try Jule's on Key Largo; you do not have to be a diver to stay there but it is more fun if you have your PADI.
-
Back to Key West....if your there you need to include Latitudes.....on Sunset Key, the only way there is by boat....

Attachments

#9 ·
There are lots of back roads with little or no traffic here in central Florida...
You just have to know how to get around and stay away from certain areas.
One certain area would be Key West. I come down every winter!

Lots of riding opportunities!

Reactions: thecruiser
#16 ·
So y'all tellin' me May not a good time to visit Key West on a motorsickle? I wuz kinda lookin ferwood to it after the Darkside Ride up in Maggie Vealley, well shucks.

#18 ·
Have to agree with a poster,just stay above rt.50 and you'll find some decent riding.we have a High point
Near zephyrhills ,its 240 ft,wow,is what it is,but there's some cool roads,with very little traffic in west central Florida. A great road us isstachatta(?)road, maybe 15 miles long,but seems to highlight what old Florida must have been like. Couple of good restaurants nearby.river rats cafe at the south end, sleepy hollow at the north end.
When I'm really in the mood for some tight twisties,I ride the on/off exits of the interstates.lol

#20 ·
Took a six day trip to Florida in late February. It depends on where you go. We found lots of roads that were not heavily traveled.

Left SC, it was 28 degrees. First stop Gainesville, in the 60s, next day Sarasota, 70 plus. For February no place else to ride. With the exception of some dirt roads, it was a great trip. You have to plan for the traffic, take interstates and toll roads to get around some heavily traveled areas. Planning is key.

In February, don't know where else to ride. Have been to Key West about 8 times in the last 10 or 12 years (I forget how many times), and each trip was fun. So, yes, I'd go again. Maybe even do it next year and see Key West again.

#22 ·
Wife and I did our first Key West trip end of April this year. Like you, we did the east coast, leaving north Bama little before midnight, getting off the Florida Turnpike to do some scenic places for her on U.S. 1 like lighthouses, etc. and arrived in Stuart, Fl. around noon. Traffic was terrible in Stuart, ended up staying in Jupiter. Second night stayed in Homestead, leaving A.M. for Key West.
"Mangrove Mama's" @ MM 20 coming back from Key West is a good stop and has great food.
Like Allman Bros. song "...born in a backseat of a Greyhound bus rollin' down Hwy. 41..." we got on the Tamiami Trail, Hwy. 41, and visited Everglades National Park.
Check off my bucket list, probably would go back but would have better plans a head of time for parking in Key West next time.
BTW, if you get off the turnpike without a toll booth, Florida DOT will send you a letter for $.:serious:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.