San Antonio & Big Bend National Park - GL1800Riders
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

San Antonio & Big Bend National Park

Leave in the morning for Oxford Ranch CG just south of Llano, Tx. Then to San Antonio for Sunday through Tuesday to Marriott Riverside for annual Gas Processors Midstream convention. Then hopefully leave Wednesday for Alpine, TX for several nights and cruise around Big Bend Park and Fort Davis. Then on home on Saturday and/or Sunday. Looks like some rain chances. Hopefully no storms. Towing Hannigan and Redvertz tent camping. I think the link should work once I start moving. Hopefully by 6:30 am. Ready for another trip. Only made one trip to Arkansas since my New Years lunch ride to Cumberland Falls lodge in Kentucky. Hopefully see a bunch of you at GlockJocks the 28-29th.

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...=0&showAll=yes

2012 Level 2
Michelin ZP rear tire
Centramatics, Traxxion AK20s and Triple Tree WindBender w/rake
Hannigan GL Trailer
2016 Rollahome Camper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 11:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbalzer View Post
Leave in the morning for Oxford Ranch CG just south of Llano, Tx. Then to San Antonio for Sunday through Tuesday to Marriott Riverside for annual Gas Processors Midstream convention. Then hopefully leave Wednesday for Alpine, TX for several nights and cruise around Big Bend Park and Fort Davis. Then on home on Saturday and/or Sunday. Looks like some rain chances. Hopefully no storms. Towing Hannigan and Redvertz tent camping. I think the link should work once I start moving. Hopefully by 6:30 am. Ready for another trip. Only made one trip to Arkansas since my New Years lunch ride to Cumberland Falls lodge in Kentucky. Hopefully see a bunch of you at GlockJocks the 28-29th.

Hope you have a great safe road trip. We were down there about a month ago and we really enjoyed it. We also stayed in Alpine.

Donnie

DonnieOnTheRoad

2013 (Lev3) Candy Alizarin Red Honda Goldwing - 92,409 miles
2011 Black Suzuki V-Strom 650A - 24,060 miles

* My previous Black 2004 Goldwing - 278,419 miles in 9+ years.

My Road Trip Blog/Journals --> http://donnieontheroad.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Life is like riding a motorcycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving ... nothing but two wheels and the open road!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnieontheroad View Post
Hope you have a great safe road trip. We were down there about a month ago and we really enjoyed it. We also stayed in Alpine.

Donnie
I followed your trip. I'm planning on staying at Lost Alaskan RV Camground on north side of Alpine. I have never been to Big Bend so looking forward to it, even though from all the pictures I've seen, it isn't my pick of places to be high on my bucket list. I think a day down from Alpine to look around Big Bend will be plenty. I enjoyed your write up. Thanks.
Donnieontheroad and Monk like this.

2012 Level 2
Michelin ZP rear tire
Hannigan GL Trailer
2016 Rollahome Camper

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 01:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Hey bbalzer,

Watch the roads when you come into San Antonio. I-35 on the north side of town will be closed this weekend for major bridge teardown. The highway will be closed from Rittiman Rd to George Beach road till 5am Monday morning. Weather should be good thru Saturday night but then rain moves in with an 80% chance Monday and Tuesday. Then it drops to 60% for Wed and Thursday. Just watch the road construction coming into town and stay away from I-35 and you'll be okay. Hope you have a safe trip and stay dry.

Griff

1976 CB550-Four
1994 GL1500 Aspencade
2004 GL1800 Titanium

GWRRA - promoting Friends, Fun, Safety & Knowledge.

GWRRA # 400819
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffalo View Post
Hey bbalzer,

Watch the roads when you come into San Antonio. I-35 on the north side of town will be closed this weekend for major bridge teardown. The highway will be closed from Rittiman Rd to George Beach road till 5am Monday morning. Weather should be good thru Saturday night but then rain moves in with an 80% chance Monday and Tuesday. Then it drops to 60% for Wed and Thursday. Just watch the road construction coming into town and stay away from I-35 and you'll be okay. Hope you have a safe trip and stay dry.

Griff

Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate it. Will look at google and see what I think is ok. I'm north of Fredericksburg now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2012 Level 2
Michelin ZP rear tire
Hannigan GL Trailer
2016 Rollahome Camper
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Made it to Oxford Ranch CG about 6-7 miles south of Llano. Drove Willow loop and made it int Fredericksburg for some kind of thin rolled up steak with some pickles in it and some kind of gravy over it and some sauerkraut. It was pretty good. Mess around a little tomorrow and try to get to SA Marriott Rivercenter early afternoon. Avoid I35.
A few pics of today. It was a very windy day. Drove into it for most of my 530+ miles. Made around 28 a 32 mpg. Driving 70-80mph into a head wind pulling trailer doesn't seem to help any.

Capt. Bob and Ironhorse1800 like this.

2012 Level 2
Michelin ZP rear tire
Hannigan GL Trailer
2016 Rollahome Camper
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 10:30 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbalzer View Post
I followed your trip. I'm planning on staying at Lost Alaskan RV Camground on north side of Alpine. I have never been to Big Bend so looking forward to it, even though from all the pictures I've seen, it isn't my pick of places to be high on my bucket list. I think a day down from Alpine to look around Big Bend will be plenty. I enjoyed your write up. Thanks.
I live and Fort Davis, and Big Bend is an amazing place, but you have to get off the bike and walk a bit. It will take you all day to ride through the park and see the sites that you can park and see. The speed limit is 45 in the park and strictly enforced!!! If your in Alpine it will take a day to go down ride the park and ride back. I suggest staying the night up in the basin at Chisos Mountain Lodge. Get up the next day and ride the River Road through Terlingua and Lajitas. The road is twisty and lots of hills. Once you get to Presidio head north to Marfa then go back to the lost Alaskan. Plan on spending a day around Fort Davis. The scenic Loop is a great ride. You also need to visit McDonald Observatory and do a star party.

Oh wait, I forgot! You can tour the Fort also! It's pretty cool being the most well preserved frontier outpost in the nation. If you have time Hike around Davis Mountains State Park or Nature Center. Y'all have fun, and give me a shout if your in the neighborhood!!!
Capt. Bob and jmdaniel like this.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBendTX View Post
I live and Fort Davis, and Big Bend is an amazing place, but you have to get off the bike and walk a bit. It will take you all day to ride through the park and see the sites that you can park and see. The speed limit is 45 in the park and strictly enforced!!! If your in Alpine it will take a day to go down ride the park and ride back. I suggest staying the night up in the basin at Chisos Mountain Lodge. Get up the next day and ride the River Road through Terlingua and Lajitas. The road is twisty and lots of hills. Once you get to Presidio head north to Marfa then go back to the lost Alaskan. Plan on spending a day around Fort Davis. The scenic Loop is a great ride. You also need to visit McDonald Observatory and do a star party.

Oh wait, I forgot! You can tour the Fort also! It's pretty cool being the most well preserved frontier outpost in the nation. If you have time Hike around Davis Mountains State Park or Nature Center. Y'all have fun, and give me a shout if your in the neighborhood!!!

Thanks for suggestions. The weather may make some decisions for me.

BigBendTX likes this.

2012 Level 2
Michelin ZP rear tire
Hannigan GL Trailer
2016 Rollahome Camper
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 07:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for posting the pictures!!

Hope you enjoy Big Bend as much as we did.
Donnieontheroad and bbalzer like this.

Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014
Pirelli SnowControl Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
Pirelli Cinturato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 44 PSI
Traxxion by Paul Bihm - Midwest Custom Cycle Work
Darkside #623 - 200,000 Darkside Miles and Counting
IBA # 42128

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Few more flower pics today and in SA now

2012 Level 2
Michelin ZP rear tire
Hannigan GL Trailer
2016 Rollahome Camper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page