TOTAL ECLIPSE! - August 21, 2017 - Viewing in East Tennessee - GL1800Riders
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

TOTAL ECLIPSE! - August 21, 2017 - Viewing in East Tennessee

I, for one, won't miss this. This will be the last total, solar eclipse, visible in the United States, until 2024.

I plan on being in Tellico Plains on the 21st around noon. I'll then head up the Cherohala Skyway till I get high enough so it's comfortable (cooler). Then sit back and wait for 2:34 PM EDT for totality. It'll only last a couple of minutes (totality), but for about an hour or so both before and after, there will be a partial eclipse.

If anyone else wants to join in, meet me at the Exxon Station at noon on the 21st and we'll head out from there. While all of Tellico Plains will be in the path of totality, I want to get to a higher elevation so it's cooler. There a lots of pull off's up on the Cherohala so finding a spot won't be hard.

Lots of good info on the eclipse here: http://www.eclipse2017.org/eclipse2017_main.htm

And here is an EXCELLENT interactive map: http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages...leMapFull.html
number18 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 08:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Cool Hey Bart !!

You may be surprised about finding someplace to watch this event. Google search is saying all the hotels are filled, so are the campgrounds and their rates are borderline gouging ...
I thought about riding up and as you finding a nice uncrowded overlook. But now I'm not to sure. Dennis (WingWing) started a thread about this several months back and others are saying the same about crowds. Anyhow, if I get up that way, I'll be on the lookout for you.

Thanks,
Me !!
Florida Prowler # 08

Living the Good Life... RETIRED !!!

No Where to be and ALL Day to get there....
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 11:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
We'll be going over to Madras, Oregon, it's just a few hours north of us.
Moderator 2 likes this.

Vietnam Veteran 68-70 (9th Infantry Division)
Member of MOPH (Military Order of the Purple Heart)
GWTA Oregon Chapter A

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 08:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Bart, Mr.Whiskey has been checking out sites to view it - finding most everything is booked. Now for me - I'll either go sit out in my front yard, or go down to the local ball field. I'm in the totality path.
FL Cracker, Bartman and bamadave like this.

Double Darksider #847
IBA #54767 BB1500+
Patriot Guard
Who I was yesterday is but a past memory, who I will be tomorrow is in the future. Who I am now and the type of person I am to others, that is what is important now.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 07:01 AM
Licensed Tooth Torturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssncob View Post
Bart, Mr.Whiskey has been checking out sites to view it - finding most everything is booked. Now for me - I'll either go sit out in my front yard, or go down to the local ball field. I'm in the totality path.

Well, aren't you special!

Seek totality safely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bullet bob and Bartman like this.

Bob E.

It is like sport to a fool to do wrong, but wise conduct is pleasure to a man of understanding.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 09:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Yep, if you aint already got lodging you better be findin' sumthin' pdq. Place's gonna be a zoo! Robbinsville as well.
So bad we're even considering stayin' at Crawford's Campground down near Murphy, Nc. (that's in the path) & not even foolin' with Cherohala. If you plan on goin' up I'd be there loooong before noon! Traffic (especially bicyclist) is gonna be horrendous! (Think fall color, squared!)
If we decide to hit Cherohala I'll have our spot staked out no later than 9 or 10am, with cooler & chairs, & jus' plan on spendin' the day.
Best overlook on the whole Cherohala is the Tn. side Turkey Creek Overlook 'bout a mile East of the Indian Boundary turn off. Has beautiful unobstructed view West over the valley. We really wanna see it here and get a view of the moons shadow racing toward us over the valley floor. (I hear that's as impressive as totality!) Jus' not sure I can handle the crowds. (I don't DO crowds!) I'm also alittle afraid Tellico might "commander" the best spot on the mountain & charge admission. (Gatlinburg, Tn. & Cherokee, Nc. are doin' it at Clingmans Dome, ya gotta ride the shuttle for $30 & I think that's already sold out.)
For those of you still willin' to brave it, here's alittle intel...
other Tn. overlooks, Lake View Overlook has pretty good view West jus' not as unobstructed
& Eagle Gap Trailhead, ya gotta really watch for this pulloff on the left goin' East from Tellico. It will require a 1/4 to 1/2 mile hike to the good viewing area. (This one will probably be the least crowded/most private.)
Nc. side, East Rattlesnake Rock & Unicoi Crest are fair (I'd call 'em a C+/B-)
but...if doin' the Nc. side, I'd hike the trail to Hooper Bald (1 mi. round trip).
View should be stunning to say the least!
Hope y'all have a big ol' time
Maps of the overlooks... (& some history on Hooper Bald)
http://www.telliquah.com/TNMap/TNMap.htm
http://www.telliquah.com/NCMap/NCMap.htm
http://grahamcounty.net/hooperbald/h...dhistory.htm#5
Duckster likes this.

Peace, Whiskey.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper Jet View Post
You may be surprised about finding someplace to watch this event. Google search is saying all the hotels are filled, so are the campgrounds and their rates are borderline gouging ...
I thought about riding up and as you finding a nice uncrowded overlook. But now I'm not to sure. Dennis (WingWing) started a thread about this several months back and others are saying the same about crowds. Anyhow, if I get up that way, I'll be on the lookout for you.
I'm originally from Knoxville so finding a place to stay won't be an issue for me.

I'm probably going to come up to ATL the Friday before and ride up to Tellico Plains via GA60/TN68 that Monday morning.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 10:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Don't forget St Joe, MO.

In St. Joseph, the 5th largest city along the path, you will experience just over 2 minutes and 38.6 seconds of totality, only 1.4 seconds short of the maximum time possible along the path.
Pricejh61 likes this.

St. Joseph, MO
2012 White Gold Wing
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 11:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper Jet View Post
Tommy
Steve is having a party at his house on the deck if you would like to join us.

Prowler # 99
09 Midnight Blue Roadsmith Trike

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 03:09 AM
Seasoned Member

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/...2017-august-21

....sT

FAA, Retired -- 1982-2012

--- VALVE AUDIO: Use a transistor, go to jail.....it's the LAW!!! ---

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page