Easter jaunt to the Ozarks / Arkansas - looking for input - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 06:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Hire Monk as a guide! He'll work for food...

Monk and TommyOne like this.

Steve and Mel... over 25 great years together, 42 in all
Darksider #433
Michelin Alpin
Battleax BT45's (over a dozen and counting)
Started really ignorant, getting smarter for over sixty years... long way to go.[/I]
[/CENTER]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 06:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrunt View Post
Hire Monk as a guide! He'll work for food...

Oh Yes, a sucker for pie from the Oark General Store.

But, not this weekend. Grandkids are coming. One is 4.5 years old the other is 2.5. Those two boys will keep me moving all weekend. I'm going to be very tired come Sunday evening.

Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014
Pirelli SnowControl Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
Pirelli Cinturato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 40 PSI
Mega Monty Traxxion - Service by Fred Harmon
Darkside #623 - 200,000 Darkside Miles and Counting
IBA # 42128

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 10:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
A buddy and I will be heading that way tomorrow a.m. Staying at the Dogwood Springs campground on the edge of Jasper. I've got a hot date with pie and ice cream Saturday in Oark. If you or anyone else is in the neighborhood give me a shout. We'll be taking a whole pie back to the campgrounds for later. If it makes back that far.
Have a Happy Easter!
Monk likes this.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Based on the suggestions, I've adjusted the route to ensure that Oark Pie gets consumed on this trip. Given that and avoiding Little Rock I've updated the route. Any further suggestions to the route as it stands?

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 08:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carroll.mike View Post
Based on the suggestions, I've adjusted the route to ensure that Oark Pie gets consumed on this trip. Given that and avoiding Little Rock I've updated the route. Any further suggestions to the route as it stands?

First I want to say, I'm having a very difficult time interpreting your map. The place names are not clear enough to read. So, I'm taking some guesses on what you have. If I guess wrong let me know.

Looks like your route is still taking you on the north side of Hot Springs? It is your route, and if that is what you need to do, then okay. But be warned, going south on highway 7 passed Jessieville, the fun is over and the traffic begins. Also, highway 5 from the junction of highway 7 to highway 9 in Crows is NOT a fun highway. And highway 9 north to Williams Junction is what I would call just okay. Compared to the routes West of there and those in the Ozarks, I would not go out of my way to ride it. Using your route, if it was me, when I hit highway 7, I would turn north and stay on 7 all the way to Jasper.
If you don't want to run that section of highway 7 from Hot Springs to Russellville again, then do this.

https://goo.gl/maps/MnSp2sDaxLL2
Then pick up the route below once you arrive back on highway 7.

Looks like your going to Eureka Springs. So here is a route to use getting there.
https://goo.gl/maps/a7z7z6J5E4k
Be sure to stop at the scenic overlooks on the north section of highway 7. Don't expect anything good from Ola to Dover, Arkansas. That section would be getting you through the River Valley. Not anything there when it comes to good roads, unless you take a detour over Petit Jean Mountain and/or decide to climb the switchbacks to the top of Mt. Nebo.

Also, I would suggest getting fuel somewhere around Russellville. I don't ever go north into the mountains without a full tank.

Looks like the second map is trying to take you to Oark. I don't know why, but most mapping software will do what you have there and it is NOT something good to do with a big turning bike. Some of those gravel roads would be really difficult on a wing.

Here are a couple routes from Eureka Springs to the Oark General Store you can chose from.
https://goo.gl/maps/PyRqN2qqGDE2
https://goo.gl/maps/ZSaG2p9dJCr

After Oark if your ready to get back to civilization, take highway 103 south to Clarksville.

The route guides you pick up at the tourist places have some good information, BUT there recommendations, in my opinion, are not All Good. Sometimes they include high traffic areas and or major roads that include a lot of auto traffic. I try to stay away from those. There is too much good riding in the state to have to deal with traffic.

Hope this helps.

Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014
Pirelli SnowControl Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
Pirelli Cinturato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 40 PSI
Mega Monty Traxxion - Service by Fred Harmon
Darkside #623 - 200,000 Darkside Miles and Counting
IBA # 42128

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 08:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Yeah had a doctor's appointment in Hot Springs today horse races going on and traffic was terrible glad I was in the car.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Monk;4268297 It will also take you through Petit Jean State Park. If you have time while in the park stop at the point of the mountain (Petit Jean's grave site) and check the view./QUOTE]

This was one of the best turnouts I've experienced.

Monk and donniejoe like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page