Easter jaunt to the Ozarks / Arkansas - looking for input - GL1800Riders
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Easter jaunt to the Ozarks / Arkansas - looking for input

Taking the 'wing back to Arkansas over Easter weekend to enjoy some more of the scenic rides available.

If anyone from the area (or with familiarity of the below route) has any suggestions / changes, please let me know. Any must see stops, routes, food etc etc. I'm not booking hotels in advance, as these types of rides tend to have a very fluid stopping point each day. that being said, any particularly interesting places to lay up for a night?

Easter DISTANCE: 580.3 km. TIME: 11:05:03 https://a.rever.co/embed/rides/395058
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 09:30 AM
Seasoned Member

I really don't care for 270 west of Hot Springs. You will see a lot of traffic and it is pretty boring.

Here is a suggestion that will dodge the Hot Springs area entirely.

https://goo.gl/maps/G4qhrWNqxRC2

This will put you back on your planned route at Oppelo. This is a much more scenic and rural route with a few curves thrown in. It will also take you through Petit Jean State Park. If you have time while in the park stop at the point of the mountain (Petit Jean's grave site) and check the view.

I notice your route brings you through Morrilton. If your interested I can meet you at the Shell Station here and visit for a few minutes and go over some other route stuff if it would help.
TommyOne likes this.

Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014
Pirelli SnowControl Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
Pirelli Cinturato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 44 PSI
Traxxion by Paul Bihm - Midwest Custom Cycle Work
Darkside #623 - 200,000 Darkside Miles and Counting
IBA # 42128

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 10:12 AM
Seasoned Member

More thoughts ... looking at your route I have some suggestions to refine your route some after you start North from Morrilton.

Highway 9 north out of Morrilton in my opinion is a route that is good for getting to the foothills of the Ozarks. But it carries much more traffic than a couple of alternatives that would be a LOT more fun and still put you in the same area. Specifically, I'm referring to getting from Morrilton to Clinton. Let me know if you are interested and/or have the time.

The route from Clinton over to Drasco (if I'm reading your map correctly) is a nice enjoyable and in some places twisty route.

Once you turn South on highway 25 you are putting yourself on a main artery that runs from Central Arkansas up through Batesville. It has a few curves, but you will usually experience considerable traffic.

If you are not absolutely necessary to run back into Little Rock, let me know. There are a ton of roads North and West of Clinton that are really good. Your route does not get into any of those! I would be happy to help with that!
TommyOne likes this.

Red - 2014
IBA # 42128

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
It will also take you through Petit Jean State Park. If you have time while in the park stop at the point of the mountain (Petit Jean's grave site) and check the view.

I notice your route brings you through Morrilton. If your interested I can meet you at the Shell Station here and visit for a few minutes and go over some other route stuff if it would help.
Thanks, that would be great! I have no hard end spot in mind. I was building routes based on the motorcycle guide I picked up at an Arkansas tourist center one of the times I came in. it did alright by me on the first time, but I only had time to run up 7 from Arkadelphia to Russellville.

only real requirement is ending at someplace with decent / affordable hotels each day. And being able to make the haul back to Dallas in a reasonable amount of time Monday. I got a friend of mind interested in riding along 2 weeks ago, so more scenic rides are helpful. After her first trip with me through Arkansas she's now hounding me to go out as often as possible.

Thanks again for your time, it's much appreciated.
Monk and mhgoldwing like this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 11:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carroll.mike View Post
Thanks, that would be great! I have no hard end spot in mind. I was building routes based on the motorcycle guide I picked up at an Arkansas tourist center one of the times I came in. it did alright by me on the first time, but I only had time to run up 7 from Arkadelphia to Russellville.

only real requirement is ending at someplace with decent / affordable hotels each day. And being able to make the haul back to Dallas in a reasonable amount of time Monday. I got a friend of mind interested in riding along 2 weeks ago, so more scenic rides are helpful. After her first trip with me through Arkansas she's now hounding me to go out as often as possible.

Thanks again for your time, it's much appreciated.
I will be happy to help any way I can.

If I was ask for places to stay for someone coming in from the Dallas area then Russellville or Clarksville would be highly recommended.

1. It is just a short ride north to the best riding in the state.
2. Plenty of motels to chose from.
3. Of the two, Russellville has the most food choices.
4. There is a Honda dealer in Russellville.
5. It is also pretty easy to access the good roads in the Mountain View area from Russellville.

Good luck, hope you have a great trip!!

Red - 2014
IBA # 42128

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 02:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Listen to Monk, he has much wisdom. The Russellville and Clarksville hotels are full up right now due to maintenance at the Nuclear Power plant. They will clear out by mid-May. Stay away from Little Rock and North Little Rock. Lots of drugs and gangs. No worries once you're outta there.
revrunt and TommyOne like this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 02:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniejoe View Post
Listen to Monk, he has much wisdom. The Russellville and Clarksville hotels are full up right now due to maintenance at the Nuclear Power plant. They will clear out by mid-May. Stay away from Little Rock and North Little Rock. Lots of drugs and gangs. No worries once you're outta there.
Wow, thanks for the info, didn't realize that!! I wonder if that reaches as far as Morrilton?

Red - 2014
IBA # 42128

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniejoe View Post
Thanks for the heads up! Stayed in Russellville two weeks ago, lots of fun little roads on the outskirts of town. In your (and Monk's opinion) would it make more sense to move the 'end' point of the trip up towards Eureka Springs or...?
revrunt likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 03:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carroll.mike View Post
Thanks for the heads up! Stayed in Russellville two weeks ago, lots of fun little roads on the outskirts of town. In your (and Monk's opinion) would it make more sense to move the 'end' point of the trip up towards Eureka Springs or...?
I wouldn't rule out Harrison. When it comes to access to the best motorcycle roads in Arkansas, it would be real hard to top as a base location for day rides.
revrunt and Big_Bear like this.

Red - 2014
IBA # 42128

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 05:23 PM
Seasoned Member

THATS "TYSON COUNTRY" = WATCH OUT FOR EGGS !!!

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page