Maggie Valley to Key West - GL1800Riders
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Maggie Valley to Key West

Pros and cons to this route? https://goo.gl/maps/dZVKKqrt3Q82 Maybe a stop at the Speedway in Daytona, any other "must sees" on the way? TIA

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Blue Highway][SIZE=2]

2010 Level 3 DDS#1146 IBA#55800 SS1K x2, SS2K,BB1500,BBGold Certified 50CC,BB1500 Pending
Disclaimer:This poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. This poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.
[/COLOR]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:47 AM

I guess that would depend on your timeline...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Because I was traveling with some young ones, I happen to know there is a Hooters across the street from the Daytona Speedway. Ha!

We also swung by Cape Canaveral for a little sight seeing. And took the slow road, Route 1 between the Cape and Boca Raton to see all the rich folks and their fancy boats.

Near Miami, I would suggest using the toll road off to the east of Miami going toward the Keys. Traffic on the freeways around and south on Miami was terrible.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 08:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Of all the sights to see while in the Keys, one place I can't ride by is: http://www.robbies.com/tarpon.htm Just a neat place to spend 1/2 hr. OBTW, very envious.

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

Done Maggie to Miami many times, route looks good. Be prepared for crazy traffic heading thru Jax, seems to be two speeds, too fast & too slow. Major road construction between US 41- Homestead. Traffic in the Keys is horrendous from Key Largo to Key West and don't even think about being on that stretch of road on the weekends, triple horrendous. Rode down Monday for lunch, Key Largo-Islamorada (17mi) took well over an hour.
Barrycuda67 likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 09:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
Pros and cons to this route? https://goo.gl/maps/dZVKKqrt3Q82 Maybe a stop at the Speedway in Daytona, any other "must sees" on the way? TIA
When are you doing this and how long will you be in Maggie?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 11:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Not trying to be negative & not knowing specifics for your trip, but that entire route, I have driven under many circumstances and the question I would ask is, why?

A interstate is to get you between point A & B without seeing anything but mob traffic.. if your wanting a good scenic trip with a lot to see I would go Maggie Valley to 441 all the way to Fl 27 to 29 to 41 to Homestead to Key West. You would see more of the real states instead of just tourist traps and traffic, I-95 is like 24 hour rush hour traffic jam from one end to the other.

Did I mention traffic!!

There are also other routes down thru the center that are easier and if you wanted to go to either coast for a visit it is not that far either direction. 50 to 60mi.

The Interstate thru Fl will save you no time unless you are very lucky.

If you have any questions that I could help you with, I have lived and rode in Fl & North states for over 45years. pm me
Barrycuda67 likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

I appreciate the replies, I am doing this on Sunday after the DS Ride In at Maggie Valley. I will be in Maggie Valley from Wednesday to Sunday morning. Going to Key West is a bucket list ride.
Bikerv2 likes this.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Blue Highway][SIZE=2]

2010 Level 3 DDS#1146 IBA#55800 SS1K x2, SS2K,BB1500,BBGold Certified 50CC,BB1500 Pending
Disclaimer:This poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. This poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.
[/COLOR]
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 01:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Key West

Well be doing this ride about a week sooner. But will be coming from Mich. starting May 12th. No Interstates.

Rich & Becky
'02 Stream Silver GL1800
Riding in memory of Dan

We ride in the rain, we ride in the sun, we ride in the cold, we ride in the heat, it doesn’t matter because we all know that the journey is what makes us go. FrigN©bored
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:19 PM
Seasoned Member

If you have the time the space center at Titusville is worth a visit, if you like vintage war planes there is museum at the executive airport in Titusville and some where around Fort Pierce there is a Navy Seal museum also. Much depends on how much time you have.

Traffic on 95 can be killer and most recently we have been having brush and forest fires that have been closing some of the roads.

If go down 95 past Edgewater you will be within 3 miles of my house, just a for what it is worth bit of info.

Steve Kowalcky
Edgewater, FL
Florida Prowler # 46250

The Lord said; "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."

My therapist's name is Dr. Goldwing, she has the antidote for the blues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page