3Likes
  • 1 Post By ATCguy
  • 2 Post By jlbc212

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Need your advice in where to spend 2 days in Vermont

Hi all,

For the last weekend of May, I intend to spend 4 days riding and enjoying a mini-vacation, but I don't exactly know which way to go to get a great experience out of it.

The trip would initiate from Toronto, crossing the border in the States by Kingston - most probably thru the Wolfe Islands, and the first night I think I intend to spend in the town of Lake Placid. Unless somebody would give me a better tip

Day#2 - I need your advice - what could I see in the radius of ....say 200 miles from Lake Placid ?

Day#3 - again - I need your advice, as I should plan the trip in such way that should take me towards the border back to Toronto. What would you recommend - where to go and spend night#3 in such way that - during the day to be able to see some nice scenic roads (not highways), and then in the late afternoon to get to a town where ....let's say I want to go back again there?

Then of course - Day 4 - riding back home.

Any takers in helping me plan something nice in that area of New York state, border with Vermont and NH ?

Thank you in advance!
Rudy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:33 PM
Seasoned Member

It's been a few years, but check out this old post in re my New England rides. The VT stuff begins around post #20 or so.

New England-Mt Washington - Picture Link & Ride Report a
RudyDurko likes this.

Tom
USMC: '81 - '89
FAA: '92 - '13
Now RETIRED & Loving it!

'14 Ford F-450 PLATINUM
'14 Dutchmen VOLTAGE 3200 5th Wheel Toy Hauler

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Check out the NewEnglandRiders website. It lists by state the best roads, best places to stay, best places to eat, most scenic rides, etc., etc.
roadrunner1800 and RudyDurko like this.

Jack

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 12:32 AM
Seasoned Member

I grew up in Gouverneur, NY and was born in Morrisburg, On. That's just some background info and in no way meant to say I know all the riding routes in the North Country of NY. I have lived in southern Vermont since 1969 and riding since that year also.

After crossing at the Ivy Lee bridge go north on #37 until you can pick up #58W. over to Gouverneur. You would be hard pressed to find a sweeter biking route anywhere in that area. Continue following #58W. to #3 N. and E. and that will take you into the Adirondack Mtns. Unless it is on your bucket list as a must see I wouldn't bother stopping at Lake Placid. A bigger high dollar tourist trap would be hard to find than Lake Placid. Traveling through to do a look see is fine, but hold onto the wallet tight if you stop for the usual tourist stuff. If you do go that way stopping at the twin Olympic ski jumps really is neat....and now they hold practice and jumping sessions during the summer utilizing artificial turf they spray water on to make the downhill glide paths slick as snow. There are many motels around Tupper Lake and Saranac Lake that would be bargains vs. the Lake Placid motels...just saying. Rt 30 S. out of Tupper Lake to 28S. to 9n south to Lake George is a great ride and that's my usual route when I go back to Gouverneur every summer to see old friends. From 9N just south of Lake George pick up #149 over to VT. Pay attention on #149 as it is a very great , but dangerous road the likes of which you might not find in Ontario. Rt 149 to #30 S. all the way to Brattleboro offers some of the best scenery VT has to offer. From Brattleboro you can then go #9W. over to Bennington and then back N. on either 7 or 7A....I prefer 7A. Follow that back north as far as Manchester and then either #7 or #30 north until Middlebury. then #125 will take you over to NY where you can maneuver your way back to Canada. A point here....when US citizens go up into Canada we have to have a Non-Resident insurance card that states we have the minimum amount of coverage to operate in Canada. I don't know if you, as Canadians, also have to carry any special card stating you have the minimum coverage to operate in the States. Your insurance agent can give you that info.

As far as VT goes, there really is nothing interesting about Burlington or the area around it. It is just another small city with nothing to offer unless you are a student at the University of VT. As someone has already said the NER group, New England Riders, has without a doubt compiled one of the very best online riding routes, best places to stay, see, and eat reports out there bar none. Keep in mind Vermont is rather small....about 50-90 miles wide in places by about 180 miles long so you can ride and see a lot of Vermont in one long day. There are 4 riding routes over the gaps of the Green Mts. Lincoln Gap has some gravel sections. Route #17 Appalachian Gap; #125 Middlebury Gap; and #73 Brandon Gap are all paved highways. As you will read on the NER reports #108 out of Stowe , VT over Smugglers Notch is one of the better rides in VT and you could actually follow #108 all the way N. into Quebec. Good luck and enjoy your ride in VT.

Allen

Michelin PA3 ZP Runflat 17,100 miles
Yokohama Avid ENVigor
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 03:13 AM
Seasoned Member

Interesting about the insurance. I've never known of restrictions regarding insurance coverage going either way between Canada and the U.S.

Now Mexico...that's another story.

Ian (IBA# 65781)

Current Street: 2008 GL1800 Level II - R303 Dark Red Metallic, Various & Sundry Add-ons

I liked 2-Strokes...a lot
Still do.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 11:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAirIan View Post
Interesting about the insurance. I've never known of restrictions regarding insurance coverage going either way between Canada and the U.S.

Now Mexico...that's another story.

Here is my Non-Resident proof of insurance card for operating motorcycle anywhere in Canada. This rule BTW also applies when operating any vehicle in Canada, not just a motorcycle. All insurance companies supply these but you need to ask your agent and there is no extra charge for this paperwork. Notice to the right of where it says Canada Non-Resident Inter-Province etc. that is the declaration from your insurance coverage meets the minimum coverage to legally operate your vehicle in Canada. Click on the full image so picture gets big enough to read easily.

I got mine on April 14th and told the agent that Nov. 30th would be the end date as any time I went to Canada after that to see family I would be in a car. We also have this proof of insurance in both the car and pick up for traveling up there.

You never need to show this card to cross the border, but you better have it if ever stopped or have an accident up there. They don't except the US proof of insurance card. They want to see that you are covered under their statutes.

I blacked out my policy numbers as you never know about ID thieves. Not worried about the name and address as anyone can get that online.

Allen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michelin PA3 ZP Runflat 17,100 miles
Yokohama Avid ENVigor

Last edited by roadrunner1800; 04-22-2017 at 11:46 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 09:31 PM

Thanks for the insurance tip. I plan to ride around Lake Superior this year. Guess I have room for 1 more piece of paper. Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page