Winslow Az. - Page 3 - GL1800Riders
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 08:25 PM
Seasoned Member

In Tucumcari we had a great breakfast at Kix 66 and dinner at Dell's.

Sent from my LG-V930 using Tapatalk
shojac likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 08:31 PM

From Winslow, take 99 south to 260 (Kohls Ranch is a great place to stay) Stay on 260 to Pine then up through Happy Jack and up to the south side of Flagstaff. 89A south through Oak Creek Canyon then on to Jerome. 89A from Jerome to Prescott Valley is a blast. 89A through Prescott (fill up in Prescott) on south down past Wilhoit then turn right on Kirkland Valley Rd. (This is about half way between Wilhoit and Yarnell) This turns into Bagdad Rd. Going on into Bagdad is a fun 1/2 hour ride but you have to come back out the same way. Head south on 97 to 93 on up to Kingman. From Kohls Ranch doing this route you can make it to Kingman in a single but full day so long as you don't get tied up in traffic in Oak Creek Canyon and Sedona.

Choice B - From Winslow check out the north rim of the Grand Canyon then Zion National Park before heading on out west.

(When I lived in Prescott I was a Road Captain for a local riding group)
Calif.Bob, shojac and playboy like this.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 12:09 AM

Prescott is a nice town for a stopover. Beautiful town square with the old courthouse, bunch of antique shops if you like that sort of thing, and the best old west bar I have come across to date. They have a very nice old opera house that hosts a lot of concert acts during the summer months.
shojac likes this.

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 10:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st Sgt View Post
From Winslow, take 99 south to 260 (Kohls Ranch is a great place to stay) Stay on 260 to Pine then up through Happy Jack and up to the south side of Flagstaff. 89A south through Oak Creek Canyon then on to Jerome. 89A from Jerome to Prescott Valley is a blast. 89A through Prescott (fill up in Prescott) on south down past Wilhoit then turn right on Kirkland Valley Rd. (This is about half way between Wilhoit and Yarnell) This turns into Bagdad Rd. Going on into Bagdad is a fun 1/2 hour ride but you have to come back out the same way. Head south on 97 to 93 on up to Kingman. From Kohls Ranch doing this route you can make it to Kingman in a single but full day so long as you don't get tied up in traffic in Oak Creek Canyon and Sedona.

Choice B - From Winslow check out the north rim of the Grand Canyon then Zion National Park before heading on out west.

(When I lived in Prescott I was a Road Captain for a local riding group)
Last time I checked hwy 99 south from Winslow turned into a dirt forest road quite ways before Hwy 260. Were you thinking Hwy 87?
shojac likes this.

Jim

2016 Level 3 12K Miles
2005 Yamaha FJR 51K Miles

post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPLSV View Post
Prescott is a nice town for a stopover. Beautiful town square with the old courthouse, bunch of antique shops if you like that sort of thing, and the best old west bar I have come across to date. They have a very nice old opera house that hosts a lot of concert acts during the summer months.
Unfortunately, Prescott is turning into another Southern California compared to 30 years ago. The old town area, as you point out is very nice. Great food and drink. The summertime has music on the courtyard lawn. The bar you mention is probably the old Palace Bar. It's reportedly the oldest continuously operating frontier saloon in Arizona. The bar is the original, surviving a 1900 fire because the patrons carried the ornately carved work of art outside during the Whiskey Row Fire. The saloon was immediately rebuilt and the Palace resumed business in 1901. The Palace was featured as the watering hole in Steve McQueen's "Junior Bonner", a movie about an aging rodeo cowboy, filmed in 1971 on location in Prescott.
shojac likes this.

Jeff Gallagher
2012 Goldwing Lvl II
1996 Goldwing SE
1993 Goldwing Interstate
www.lesstraveledroadsgw.WordPress.com

"If you can't annoy somebody with what you write, I think there is little point in writing." Kingsley Amis, British novelist, 1971
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse1800 View Post
Coming from the east, consider a run up the "Devil's Highway" formerly Route 666, but all the signs were stolen. Ha! Now AZ 191 north of Clifton, AZ. to Alpine, AZ. A fun run.
I second this suggestion. Although the vistas are better going from Alpine to Clifton (southerly) but more treacherous.
shojac likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page