GL1800Riders Forums banner

First day of spring dirt ride

2K views 37 replies 11 participants last post by  Rail32 
#1 ·
Since I was riding wing yesterday and Dirty Geisha girl has been getting a lot of attention , KLR was next .

Black River just north of Neilsville .roughly 10am

See less See more
#2 ·

South of Neillsville sand and gravy pit now county land . When I was a kid thus was all dirt , no weeds or sod . Have not been down there in my over 20 years .

#3 ·
Good for you! I see it's still a tad chilly there too.
First day of Spring ride for me today on The Queen....my F6B. It wasn't pretty, but it felt **** good. 50, windy, and I couldn't go out until after work, 4:30. Tomorrow again, should be nicer at mid 50's and less wind. Have to wait until Saturday for the next ride. We have snow on the sides of the road still here too. Sand and salt are pretty much off in the gutters. Gotta grab it while we can, right?

#4 ·

When in doubt power out , saved my butt here . Sugar sand , very wet , and froze yet in spots . Not KLR friendly .

As I was putting camera away I notice these big tracks !! Are those big kitty tracks ? Sure look like it to me . Pretty fresh as my footprints looked the same wetness .
Anyways 187 miles , spot tracker was acting up but got it fixed as battery terminals were corroded a bit . Mostly dirt roads , logging roads , a few places I should not have been , one guys driveway , and a powerhouse I have never been to before just north of black river falls on the black river.
All in all a great first day of spring .

Reactions: dosxxs
#9 ·
Just guessing I would say lynx or large bobcat. I don't think they have lynx in that area, but who knows.

#10 ·
4" dia.

#23 ·
Being I live connected to a wildlife refuge I see DNR R dudes often. I showed him the pix Thursday and told him where they were taken. Without a delay he said big most likley "female"coyote . He was impressed by how big and deep they were. Lots of coyotes out in that area he told me . He said it was a set of rear tracks and one front pix.
Than he asked me if I ever seen one around my house . I told him no and than showed him pix of a few years ago bobcat dead in ditch . He told me they are plentiful here , but rarely seen as they are pretty elusive . They have been spotted in town by local LEO's

#25 ·
My office in Sugar Land is surrounded by miles and miles of commercial and residential. It is a long ways to the "country". There is a bayou (concrete ditch) on two sides of our building, turns a corner in the back. Follow the bayou far enough and you will get to the Brazos River.

More than once, working early morning or late evening, I have seen a coyote come out of the bayou, cross our parking lot sniffing our dumpster on the way by and drop back down into the bayou.

At our ranch near Hempstead the coyotes start sounding off as soon as the sun sets. If seen but never taken pictures yet of their tracks in the creek bottom. So far, this ghost image is the best we have from the game camera. On the sandy spot between the two large trees. The tracks were there, so guessing this is a coyote. Either that or a monkey! Ha.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#27 ·
:NoCoffee:
If I would send that pix Hoss down to my 5year older former California skate board salesman, that ate a lot of lead paint in his childhood , engineer at Boeing , living in Texas for last 20 years believing in all sorts of super weird stuff half brother , he was automatically say that's the "chupacabra" beyond a shadow of a doubt .
We all can plainly see I am the brains of the family >:)
And Betty says I am spot on this time !!!:wink2:

Reactions: Ironhorse1800
#28 ·
Ha. I download the game camera to my phone. There were three photos taken within a minute that morning. From my phone, that was the only one where I saw the "ghost". I went back and studied the other two photos on my iPad and found it again in one of the other photos. Standing just to the right of the tree, looking at the camera.

#29 ·
Only because I do enjoy having a good laugh at others expense,,, I sent that pix down there .
But now I wonder if the "chupacabra" taste like chicken?? So I am making chicken wings tex mex style tonight for supper which will from this day forward be named Chupacabra Wings .
Later and will post his reply when I get it .>:)
And I do bet they do taste like chicken , just sayin .....

#30 ·
One thing those coyotes are good for, bringing the grandkids in at night! Last week the girls were out in the pasture playing nerf ball tag in the dark. A few coyotes howled and 2 seconds later those girls were both trying to get between their dad and the campfire. I got cold beer up my nose! Ha!

#33 ·
The fact that in the beginning u said they were kitty tracks is what got my attention, I see lots of similar tracks where I live and never imagined they might be kitties , just guessing I always thought they were coyotes or wolves which I see frequently around here but cats are pretty rare but I have also seen them.

#35 ·
I am still not convinced for sure what they are . If coyote its dang big . Next time I will measure somehow . Dollar bill is great reference worse case .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.