2017 Wisconsin riding contest proposal - GL1800Riders
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

2017 Wisconsin riding contest proposal

Well... In short, the 2015 ride to cheese contest ended without an announced winner. This was understandable due to John's accident

2016 went by, with no riding contest at all.

This year, I'd like to propose the following contest since none has been spoken of yet.

2017 Picture Contest!

What I have in mind, is that I (since I'm suggesting the contest) will announce a place, object or person to take a picture with. Picture must include your ride (of course)!
I will announce on Monday's, what the picture of your ride is to include in a new thread. For example, the week of April 3rd, the pic must be of your ride and a water tower.
Each picture contest will run from that Monday to the following Sunday.
This will be a solo contest. Each rider can find their own time over the course of the week, to get the picture taken.
That picture will need to be included in that weeks thread only, to count for the contest.
Each week, a new goal picture. I'm planing on running the contest from April 3rd to the end of November.

What I'd like to ask, is that any rider that wants to participate in the contest, to donate perhaps $5. One time only, for the entire contest.
I don't want to wait until the Winter Blues get together at the Blue Spoon to hold a raffle to pay for the prizes. I'd like to have the prizes ready.

EDITED: Instead of paying to play, I'm going to offer an alternative. No one pays to play. We will still hold a raffle in January of 2018 for prizes to 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners.

What's the prize you ask?

Well, in each weeks picture gallery, I'd like the Wisconsin board to vote on the BEST photo of that week. Then, at the end of the contest, have a poll on the top 12 photos of the contest.
Can you see where this is going?
I'd like to have professionally made, a 2018 Wisconsin Riders calendar!!!
If we raise a few dollars, then the top 3 winners (most photo's submitted for the contest) will get their calendar for FREE!
If there is a lot of interest, perhaps the top 5, 7, 10 winners will get their calendar for FREE!

EDITED: The winners of this contest, besides the 1st thru 3rd, are going to be the 12 riders that will have their bikes featured in the 2018 calendar. How about that instead?

And of course, I will take a one time order with a stated price per calendar, for those that wish to buy one. The more that are printed at once, the cheaper they will be.

Since I'm proposing this riding contest, I will be exempt from being a winner . BUT..... I would be willing to run this contest, track the weeks results, archive the top photo's and have the calendars made.

So...... What do you think?

̶A̶g̶a̶i̶n̶,̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶e̶n̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶e̶s̶t̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶p̶h̶o̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶s̶i̶d̶e̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶l̶e̶n̶d̶a̶r̶,̶ ̶a̶ ̶O̶N̶E̶ ̶T̶I̶M̶E̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶$̶5̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶p̶o̶s̶e̶.̶

and, go.......
Bikerv2 likes this.

Last edited by jollygreendoc; 03-24-2017 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Changing the contest to no longer pay to play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 09:07 AM
Seasoned Member

A Great Idea you have there, jolly.
I'm sorry I won't be able to participate but let me be the first one to order a calendar. Wisconsin has some really great views.
To get the ball rolling, let me give ya $10 to pay for the fifth and tenth person to submit a photo. (NOT to be applied toward my purchase of a calendar)

One thing I ask,... pick a reliable printer with some quality control and will guarantee receipt of a non-mangled product. I'd rather pay a buck or three more for some proper packaging that receive an unusable calendar. I have ordered only two calendars through such endeavors, one arrived mangled (poor packaging) and the other with poor quality control. Both were rendered completely useless.

You have a great idea, I would hope you get good participation.
jollygreendoc likes this.

DARKSIDER #317
Tennessee Traveler # 15
Florida Prowler #85

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page

Whenever we safely Ride home we promise God a little something.

(quote attributed to
Tony...........Chicago
2001 Black 1800

http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

What if some alien guy, out-of-Stater, wanted to pay and play? Would having a Texas water tower as a winner blow up the calendar?

Ha!

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 11:49 AM
Crazy Northerner

Interesting concept Tom. I really like the calendar thing at the end. Do you have to participate in all the weeks?

GL1800riders.com WI Board's Toughest Riders (Charter Member).
Real Riders Ride Year Round. Cold is only a state of mind, but snow
sucks. Charter member of the "I Hate Snow" club.

Darksider #1025
Wisconsin Patriot Guard #188329
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 12:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Great idea, I'd participate
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 01:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I'm down, sounds like a great idea.

Spike is in the printing industry, and has a degree, I can ask her for a recommendation on someone to print the calendars. Heck she probably can even print them if the group wishes. She is extremely anal about printing.

Sent from my SM-T217T using Tapatalk

-Don
"Simple is as simple does."

DS#788

Current inventory-

2008 GL1800P- Challenger Brown Metallic
2013 Victory Vision Tour- Solid Black
2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R- Metallic Spark Black
2002 Kawasaki KZ1000p(olice)- Black/White

Links-

Walrus crumbs-http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...3fXcRKf8f5YLSy

Victory Vision forum-http://gl1800riders.com/forums/74-wi...-new-bike.html
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruiser View Post
A Great Idea you have there, jolly.
I'm sorry I won't be able to participate but let me be the first one to order a calendar. Wisconsin has some really great views.
To get the ball rolling, let me give ya $10 to pay for the fifth and tenth person to submit a photo. (NOT to be applied toward my purchase of a calendar)

One thing I ask,... pick a reliable printer with some quality control and will guarantee receipt of a non-mangled product. I'd rather pay a buck or three more for some proper packaging that receive an unusable calendar. I have ordered only two calendars through such endeavors, one arrived mangled (poor packaging) and the other with poor quality control. Both were rendered completely useless.

You have a great idea, I would hope you get good participation.
Larry, you continue to be a gentleman! If this idea kicks off and becomes our contest, I'd be honored (and 2 riders would be lucky) to have you do such a great gesture. I'll also solicit comments for a good printer, to ensure group satisfaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse1800 View Post
What if some alien guy, out-of-Stater, wanted to pay and play? Would having a Texas water tower as a winner blow up the calendar?

Ha!
As much as I would want to have everyone possible participate, I'm not sure if I could handle a national contest I wouldn't refrain anyone from submitting pics. How could I? But I think I need to curtail this to Wisconsin riders as far as the contest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettesherps View Post
Interesting concept Tom. I really like the calendar thing at the end. Do you have to participate in all the weeks?

No. You could submit only 1 picture for the entire contest if you wished. But, the top winners will be based on submissions. If you submit a pic every week, and the #2 person misses 1 week, then we have our 1st and 2nd place winners for the contest. Winners are based on most weekly submissions (only 1 submission per week for points, but you can submit multiple pics per week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
I'm down, sounds like a great idea.

Spike is in the printing industry, and has a degree, I can ask her for a recommendation on someone to print the calendars. Heck she probably can even print them if the group wishes. She is extremely anal about printing.

Sent from my SM-T217T using Tapatalk
Excellent! As noted above, I want to ensure the calendars will be treasured for the year (or longer). And by treasured, I don't mean buried!!!

In addition, here are more thoughts.

1̶ ̶-̶ ̶H̶o̶w̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶n̶n̶e̶r̶'̶s̶ ̶c̶a̶l̶e̶n̶d̶a̶r̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶f̶r̶e̶e̶,̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶r̶y̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶y̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶?̶ ̶B̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶n̶n̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶e̶n̶t̶r̶y̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶.̶ ̶

Edited to no longer pay to play. Will hold a raffle for the 1st thru 3rd place points winners in January 2018.

2 - The calendar will not be 12 pictures of a single persons bike. Although the voted winner for the week can be the same person more than once, the final vote on the 12 bikes will NOT have a repeat winner. The calendar will feature 12 separate winning submissions, voted on by the Wisconsin board. As this is a work in progress, the polling of the best 12 at the end of the year may be open to the entire forum.

3 - Clarification - each person that submits a photo for that week, gets 1 point. Points will determine the contest winners. The weekly vote on the best photo is for the end of year final 12 photos.

4 - Voting. Ya can't vote for your own photo on the weekly poll. Otherwise, if everyone voted on their own photo, we could have a stalemate. Now, end of year vote, for the final 12, YES, you can vote on your own picture!

And yes, at the end of the year when I open a window for purchases of the calendar, anyone can commit to purchase a calendar. I will list what the calendar will cost to purchase, based on how many bought. Again, the more printed, the better the deal, the lower the cost.

I'll keep this thread running for comment until the end of the month. Then will post an official 2017 Rules thread, and ask for it to be a sticky and locked.

Doc

Last edited by jollygreendoc; 03-24-2017 at 06:55 AM. Reason: No longer pay to play
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 04:51 PM
Seasoned Member

I would also suggest using a good camera..not a cell phone camera,they are to grainy with larger pics. I Love Love Love the ideal JGD !!

Member of the ...I HATE SNOW CLUB !!!
Maker of Darkside paraphernalia...
Darkside #1112

FB Page: Goldwingers of Wisconsin
https://www.facebook.com/groups/444126032442402/

http://powersports.honda.com/recalls.aspx
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollygreendoc View Post
...As much as I would want to have everyone possible participate, I'm not sure if I could handle a national contest I wouldn't refrain anyone from submitting pics. How could I? But I think I need to curtail this to Wisconsin riders as far as the contest.[/B][/I]

Doc
Understood. Really, per the rules, all I have to do to participate is come Ride the great State of Wisconsin! As stated, my pictures would have to be of a specified Wisconsin landmark AND taken during the appropriate week for that photo assignment. So you are not really telling me I can't play, just saying I have to play by the rules!

I think this is a great idea and will enjoy watching from the sidelines.

I understand the bike and landmark have to be in the picture. Do all the people in the picture have to be fully clothed? That might affect calendar sales.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Good thing you used the icon. Saved my laptop! @Ironhorse1800

As this is still a work in progress, I'll allow your reasoning that anyone visiting Wisconsin that wants to participate according to the rules, may do so.

As far as clothing, you may be fully naked if you wish, while behind the camera taking the picture, lol!!! That's why it's a solo contest, bike only in the pic.

Not a group contest, where bikes and riders have to be in the photo.

Thanks for the great suggestions and the positive feedback. Looks like this will be a good contest. With a great reward at the end of it, for all.

*yes, kinda borrowed the idea from the Where is this threads, and other forums that had similar photo contests.

But, I don't think anyone has come up with a calendar idea out of it
Ironhorse1800 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page