Campers vs. Camping - Page 4 - GL1800Riders
 50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

In which case I'll take a chill pill and apologize for taking your comment the wrong way.
ocpd44 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBob1 View Post
Ya, it's due to the name, "Motorcycle Campers" Perhaps if it was changed to "Motorcycle Camping" It might get more camping related posts.
Yeah, maybe. But it's not named "Camper Trailers" so you'd think there's already room for a middle ground if there was going to be one. I think it's less the forum title (which rarely self-police anyway) and perhaps just a) the demographic and interests of the group here; b) the nut roll that lots of the forums down in the sub-boards / focus groups section experience.

+1 to motocampers and other fine sites being out there. No shortage of resources available. Just not in this specific forum, unless you're interested in a used trailer!

My observation on how it has played out. Not a cry for help or change.

There's a bit of camping commentary here throughout, mostly in the General and the Rides forums, and folks who seem to partake. All is as it is.

This is my signature block. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My signature block is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 10:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st Sgt View Post
I like my tent (along with my air mattress) I've found myself in some beautiful places (and some not so nice) and enjoy the adventure.
I'm with you, 1st SGT. After spending 36 years on the road sleeping in motels ( in a bed that who knows how many people have slept in before)the idea of vacationing in another motel makes me ill. Nothing like sitting around a campfire with friends after a good day of riding, sipping on a fine scotch and looking at the stars. Gives me wanderlust thinking about it. Can't get that in a motel. I gotta get my bike otta the shop and go someplace.

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 11:38 AM
Contributing Member

I'm 60 and I still love to camp. I started a thread on the forum about options for camping. But, camping is still fun to me. I ride across the south from Middle OK to Ga or NC a few times every year. Sometimes I take my camper and look for places along the way. I've not had a lot of luck finding campgrounds off the cuff though and in some cases end up at a hotel. However, on my last trip I found myself between Montgomery and Birmingham and spotted a campground sign. I didn't have camping equipment with me but about the time I was considering the camp, I came across a sporting goods store. So I pulled in and bought a hammock set up for a quick overnighter. It was still early in the season so the campground had plenty of open spots for primitive camping. While I had my issues with getting comfy in the hammock. the sounds of the night were fantastic and the sunrise was unbelievable. When I pulled in a couple of regulars came by to take a look at my setup. And fortunately they had much needed refreshments. It wasn't my brand but a free beer is a free beer and it was cold! I was invited over for BBQ but I don't eat red meat... It sure did smell good though. The park Ranger was a very young fellow. He and his family lived in a small house on the property. He was very friendly and informative about the area and encouraged me to be on the lake early to see the sunrise(which I did). It was an impromptu camping trip and it worked out very well. Made some new friends and a new spot which I will make an effort to go back too on future trips. Here is my FB live video that I posted that morning. I hope this was the kind of thing you were looking for in starting this thread. https://www.facebook.com/sandy.oneal...2719840754278/

Last edited by sandyoneal; 03-22-2017 at 11:41 AM.
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 11:27 PM
Seasoned Member

I'm 71 and the thought of connecting motel rooms on a motorcycle/Mt. bike adventure tour doesn't even enter my head. Camping is part of or most of the reason I even go! Don't even ride the motorcycle hardly except to go camping. I don't even like motels from my car! 50,000 mi. on the '12 just camping, oil painting and Mt. biking the black diamonds. Everything fits in the Mini-Mate ultra-lightly loaded with bicycle(s) on rack. New style tour luggage for mt. bike for multi-day forays away from motorcycle camper. Use rental clubs for golf. Use light backpacker gear for everything and even do backpack camping from motorcycle. Heavy stuff for car camping only. Don't feel safe with too much weight on bike OR trailer.
larryinseattle likes this.
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 09:23 AM
Seasoned Member

Going back to B_B original post..... since this sub-forum has been mainly camper(trailer) related since the beginning - maybe it's time to ask the moderators/owners of the site to start a sub-forum for 'Camping', that wouldn't require any retraining for the usual participants here, and save the semantics for elsewhere. JMHO B.

Come see why they call it Viewtown - At the foot of the Blue Ridge Mts.
"08" Titanium - Audio/Comfort/Nav - non abs
"77" Triumph "Silver Jubilee" Bonneville
"02" Yellow - non abs - Totaled 9/09
Escapade Elite trailer
Kwik Kamp tent trailer

The "Black Pirate" has left us a message. Did you get it?
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 09:31 AM
Seasoned Member

To make this 'Camping' related here's where I was last weekend.

Hungry Mother State Park Campground- Marion Va.
Located on Hwy.16(Back of the Dragon) 7mi west of Marion Va.(exit 47 I-81).
Hungry Mother SP amenities incl. a lake w/swimming beach, fishing, boating(rentals available), Restaurant(seasonal), visitors center, 1&2 bedroom cabin rentals, hiking trails, horse trails and stalls, campsites run from primitive to Cl A motorhomes. Open year round.

During our stay 3/31-4/2/17 in the 'Creekside' area, we found the campground lots(some reserved)very clean, neat, level and paved. This was a small trailer/tent area(approx. 30 sites) w/hook-ups to include elec./water or elec./water/sewer. Facilities include bathhouse w/separate shower area, (2)washer/dryers($), ice machine($), vending machines($), indoor/outdoor slop sinks, firewood available($), and onsite camp hosts. 1 of our group stayed in a 1BR cabin, which was very nice and offered a full kitchen, living room w/fireplace, bedroom and full bath. Being a SP there are fees for everything- not inexpensive- but the money appears to be put to good use. Lots of great motorcycle roads in the area and in the off season, little to no traffic. B.

Come see why they call it Viewtown - At the foot of the Blue Ridge Mts.
"08" Titanium - Audio/Comfort/Nav - non abs
"77" Triumph "Silver Jubilee" Bonneville
"02" Yellow - non abs - Totaled 9/09
Escapade Elite trailer
Kwik Kamp tent trailer

The "Black Pirate" has left us a message. Did you get it?
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 10:27 AM
Seasoned Member

Random thoughts......
My Wife's idea of camping is Motel 6.
I see a lot of campgrounds and they look like trailer parks to me - all crowded and packed in there like sardines. Neither one of us is all that social, so crowds are not at all appealing.

- of course - there ARE some wonderful areas to camp. I get it.

We have a truck and trailer to haul the bike and our stuff. Bike & camping gear easily fits, with room for pretty rocks and souvenirs and driftwood, and and and.....
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourit View Post
Going back to B_B original post..... since this sub-forum has been mainly camper(trailer) related since the beginning - maybe it's time to ask the moderators/owners of the site to start a sub-forum for 'Camping', that wouldn't require any retraining for the usual participants here, and save the semantics for elsewhere. JMHO B.
I'm generally loathe to proliferate forums. As is, there's one for trailers and one for campers. And being down in the cheap seats, neither displays a tagline to further illuminate their intent.

If I were board God for a day, I might rename this forum Motorcycle Camping but I would NOT add another camper(trailer) forum, just let the camper trailer crowd ooze to camping or trailers as they saw fit.

I'd spend more of my day paring the snot out of the 50 states into maybe a dozen regions, and more some things around in the forum/sub-forum/sub-sub stuff so the main page flowed better.

This is my signature block. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My signature block is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 04:24 PM

Michigan motorcycle riders can spent an extra $5.00 to get a State Park Recreation Passport, nothing better than pitching a tent in a state park for "almost free".
Much cheaper than a private campground.
The parks in the Upper Peninsula are great, nice and quiet, great parking, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page